IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stock '08 needs new shocks...Bilsteins or Greddy X KW coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 12:59 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by photomaker
Thanks for the info, @ChpEng It's funny, I ordered my set more than a month ago, and yesterday, a box showed up from Bilstein...but the box only had 3 of the 4 shocks I ordered, which means I'm still waiting. Go figure. I think I'm still going to go with coilovers and have initiated a return of the 3 shocks I did receive.
@photomaker Good choice. I was in a similar situation to yours a year ago, MY 2011 @ 115k, two blown rear shocks, thinking Bilstein B6 x4 until I got new tires on factory wheels, hit the canyons, and realized I wanted more front spring. My previous cars have been FWD with aftermarket swaybars, and while I appreciate the clearly superior RWD weight balance and suspension geometry of the ISF, its lazy pitch/roll weight-transfer transition on turn-in was a bit of a rude surprise. Once installation and corner-balance capability are figured in, the cost savings vs shock replacement just did not make sense for me.

Here's what I went with. Only have ~300miles on this setup, but happy with it so far. Check out post #25 from Mike for his description on how the kit is tuned, spring rates are 16kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10975803
Old 04-25-21, 10:16 AM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
@photomaker Good choice. I was in a similar situation to yours a year ago, MY 2011 @ 115k, two blown rear shocks, thinking Bilstein B6 x4 until I got new tires on factory wheels, hit the canyons, and realized I wanted more front spring. My previous cars have been FWD with aftermarket swaybars, and while I appreciate the clearly superior RWD weight balance and suspension geometry of the ISF, its lazy pitch/roll weight-transfer transition on turn-in was a bit of a rude surprise. Once installation and corner-balance capability are figured in, the cost savings vs shock replacement just did not make sense for me.

Here's what I went with. Only have ~300miles on this setup, but happy with it so far. Check out post #25 from Mike for his description on how the kit is tuned, spring rates are 16kg/mm front and 12kg/mm rear.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10975803
@ChpEng That's a great setup, I just wish I could afford it! I'm trying to stay within $2k, installed. I will report back once I've pulled the trigger and (whatever I get) is installed. I did read that thread, which made me want those Ohlins even more. I guess I'll have suspension-envy for a bit haha
The following users liked this post:
ChpEng (04-26-21)
Old 04-25-21, 05:23 PM
phlopF
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace my rear shocks on my 08 and I ended up going with Bilsteins over the Greddy coils. I'm super happy with my decision at a fraction of the price - I think I paid under $600 with installation for just the rear set. I don't track my car either and it was much better than hearing my car go clunk every time I hit a bump.