IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Suspension HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 10:05 AM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We may be saying something similar but in a different way. And yes nannies can cook your brakes with the stock suspension also. And, I did have slower lap times initially without nannies but they gradually returned to normal then quickly improved as I became really comfortable with the setup. Now my car and driving skills let me easily run with the Porsches and Corvettes.

there was a time when I was enamored with Corvettes and Porsches, but now every time I get a point by from one, I like them a little less as I now know it’s the driver that makes the biggest difference.
Old 07-16-21, 10:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

I went faster right away after turning off the nannies. I came from road racing motorcycles, so my perspective on danger is different than most car people.
Old 07-16-21, 01:29 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

My idea of danger is having caffeine late on a work night 🤣.
Old 07-16-21, 02:35 PM
Slowlane
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jwconeil

my idea of danger is having caffeine late on a work night 🤣.
.........🤣😂
The following users liked this post:
mjscott1 (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 07:13 PM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I went faster right away after turning off the nannies. I came from road racing motorcycles, so my perspective on danger is different than most car people.
Wait, you’re in Atlanta, Ga? You ever run Road Atlanta? It’s one of the most exciting and most dangerous tracks in America. I’ve run it a couple of times and it quickly became my all time favorite track!

If you like danger then you will love turn turn 11 where you run wide open over a blind hill followed by turn 12 with a 5 story off camber drop laced with a brick wall while trying to maintain wide open throttle headed to the finish line.

Let me know if you ever head that way and I will try to meet you!
Old 07-17-21, 11:30 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by mjscott1
I’m not that knowledgeable to all the pieces and components. It did sound great in Street Settings, so much so my tech marveled at the street performance. I’ve not returned to street mode in some time now, but last I checked it was still impressive. I wouldn’t call it OEM quiet but apparently quiet enough to wow my service tech.

now if you get lazy like me and run track settings on the street, make sure your dental insurance is paid up. That and chiropractic services may be needed. And that comes with an accompaniment of assorted sounds.
What spring rates do you have, and what settings do you run for street versus track?
Old 07-17-21, 01:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mjscott1
Wait, you’re in Atlanta, Ga? You ever run Road Atlanta? It’s one of the most exciting and most dangerous tracks in America. I’ve run it a couple of times and it quickly became my all time favorite track!

If you like danger then you will love turn turn 11 where you run wide open over a blind hill followed by turn 12 with a 5 story off camber drop laced with a brick wall while trying to maintain wide open throttle headed to the finish line.

Let me know if you ever head that way and I will try to meet you!
I haven't run RA for the exact reason you mentioned. Turn 12 is brutal if you make a mistake, and that wall would really hurt - not just the car, but the driver because you're only inches away from it if you hit. When I raced motorcycles, I lived in California and I never thought about getting hurt. I'm a little older and paying for the foolish things I did in my 20's and 30's, spending lots of money on trying to maintain my health. Not sure I'd have a lot of fun at RA, but I am sure it's a fun track and I've been there with friends a few times, just never on track.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
md6380 (07-18-21), Yri (07-18-21)
Old 07-18-21, 01:45 PM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I haven't run RA for the exact reason you mentioned. Turn 12 is brutal if you make a mistake, and that wall would really hurt - not just the car, but the driver because you're only inches away from it if you hit. When I raced motorcycles, I lived in California and I never thought about getting hurt. I'm a little older and paying for the foolish things I did in my 20's and 30's, spending lots of money on trying to maintain my health. Not sure I'd have a lot of fun at RA, but I am sure it's a fun track and I've been there with friends a few times, just never on track.
Maintain the health! I’m starting to become an old man myself. My motto is, you’re either getting stronger or growing weaker, there is no middle ground. I currently built a gym to rehab my hip as it’s getting harder do track days with my torn labral. Health is everything. That hobby has eclipsed my tracking hobby recently. But the OSG will likely sway the tide.

And my wife lets me track the family sedan because otherwise I’d get another Yamaha R1 like my last, or something similar. To her it’s the lesser of evils. So I also view risk from a different set of optics.

You seem very familiar with Roebling Road Raceway. Maybe we can meet there sometime? I’ve been very busy lately, in the past I would track there three to four times a year. There is another CL forum member that lives walking distance from the Shell station. We usually meet up there. He tracks his F occasionally. He’s the only F I’ve ever seen on the track. Other than the new Supra, he’s the only Other Toyota I’ve ever seen on the track. But

But the new Supra is a BMW, so there’s that..

Last edited by mjscott1; 07-18-21 at 01:51 PM.
Yri (07-18-21)
Old 07-19-21, 05:02 AM
mjscott1
Driver School Candidate

I have 18k/16k spring rates. As far as settings go I recently learned that I’ve been setting them from Max soft instead of Max Hard ( which makes perfect sense now) so I should refrain from sharing my settings until I get a new baseline established.

in either case I never went too close to full hard. I was about 15 clicks off full hard and 1 sweep off full hard for track. 30 clicks off full hard and 1.5 sweeps off full hard for street. Again, that is my interpretation setting it up from the inverse. How about you?
Old 07-19-21, 10:32 AM
Jwconeil

I’m running good old fashioned 2013 OEM suspension. I badly want to lower it… saved up enough for Ohlins TTX… and then spent 10 times that much buying a house.

Back to the monster truck status drawing board I go.
Old 07-19-21, 12:22 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I’m running good old fashioned 2013 OEM suspension. I badly want to lower it… saved up enough for Ohlins TTX… and then spent 10 times that much buying a house.

Back to the monster truck status drawing board I go.
Yeah, but now you have a home.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rickna:
Jwconeil (07-19-21), lobuxracer (07-20-21), Yri (07-19-21)
Old 07-19-21, 01:09 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

To continue the thread-jacking lol, I am really hoping to get an F group track day at ViR in 2022. I've always wanted to do that track and isn't terribly far for a number of F guys on CL and FB. I'd be coming all the way from Ohio.
So PM me or reply here if you might be even mildly interested. Nothing anymore concrete until maybe December/January and am also open to suggestions.
Old 07-19-21, 02:03 PM
Jwconeil

And a 3 car garage to someday install Ohlins in.

Ive done suspension in a drive way before. Never again.
Rickna (07-19-21)