IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF best titanium intake option ( MOD In Japan or RR racing)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 11:54 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ISF best titanium intake option ( MOD In Japan or RR racing)

Hey guys got 2012 looking to update intake.. i tried a sikky elbow but was not very happy with the clamp and cup connection it didn't feel super solid due to the top sikky weld kind of made the cup bulge and not seal very well. That being said I've decided to return it and go back to square one. I want to keep my stock air box and have done a drop in k&N but moving forward want I think Im going to do is either go RR racing titanium elbow or the (Mod in Japan) Titanium only difference is the RR racing one requires relocation of the breather tubes. Wondering what the main benefit of that would be and if I'm going to mostly daily the car, would that would be necessary? If not Im probably leaning toward the M.I.J ... idk if this makes any difference to your comment but i will plan to eventually add an AOS from RR down the road as well

mods waiting to be delivered: RR tune, PPE Uel Headers, Joe-Z cat back with 3.5 quad tips, (possible RR racing AOS?)
current mods: K&N drop in, USRS lower arm bushings, is350 led tails, resonator delete
Old 05-27-21, 07:47 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Its nowhere near as pretty, but I think if you give thermals any thought the silicone HPS intake is one of the best at insulating the air charge from heat.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 09:53 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

LEMS Japan.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
frank1015 (06-01-21)
Old 05-28-21, 10:54 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

@Meraki Autoworks I saw the Lems version but no way im dropping 1400 bucks on an elbow... i ended up purchasing the MIJ titanium this morning. Steven hooked me up it up for me for $399
LexusfanVA (06-01-21)
Old 05-28-21, 01:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Nice! But FYI the Lems is about $550.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
frank1015 (06-01-21)
Old 05-30-21, 08:06 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb The More You Know...

The Mod in Japan is a solid fitment piece...

I would know this for a FACT

Joe Z
Old 06-01-21, 11:02 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

FYI, there is also the "top speed" eBay one for $250 or so. That being said, I've had the OEM elbow, had 2 blue Joez elbows, a blue HPS silicone, RR Racing CF elbow(with rerouted hoses and the tuned intake), and am currently on the stock airbox with MIJ JOEZ titanium elbow. Have not had or seen the RR titanium one, but I really like the look.

-Was not a fan of the HPS silicone. I could squeeze it too easily, and the connections to the top intake hoses are metal pieces siliconed to the intake, which shows and after awhile just looks the cheapest IMO.
-RR Racing CF elbow looked cool and matched the tuned intake box well, but I was wary of rerouting the hoses(if only because so many ISF's are at 150k+ miles without rerouting), and overall it seemed a little fragile and too easy to scratch. Also they shipped it with the wrong coupler which was a pain to figure out, by the time I had installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled it was scratched up on a few spots.
-Really liked the blue JoeZ pipe for the matching "F" color and price and I thought it handled heat well and was solidly built. Only downside was on my second one, as the two intake hose pipes were a bit too smooth with no ridge, if your hoses/clamps are old, they can start to slide towards the end. I remedied that with new hoses.
-Love my MIJ titanium piece. It's mainly bling and the colors are nice, but I do feel like it heats up a bit more than the regular JoeZ. That being said, I am sure the air is rushing through so quick that it really doesn't matter.

Joe Z (06-12-21)
Old 06-01-21, 12:22 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I have HPS, and mine doesn’t have any metal in it. I’m happy with it. Metal tubes get very, very hot.
Old 06-01-21, 12:55 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I have HPS, and mine doesn’t have any metal in it. I’m happy with it. Metal tubes get very, very hot.

^yours doesn't have the metal like on this one? Odd, I haven't seen a different one and mine looked same. I didn't like where the orange and silicone between them is visible and gets worse with age. Maybe I just had a super old one.
Old 06-01-21, 07:03 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA

^yours doesn't have the metal like on this one? Odd, I haven't seen a different one and mine looked same. I didn't like where the orange and silicone between them is visible and gets worse with age. Maybe I just had a super old one.
Ill check tomorrow. I may have overlooked it since I didn’t install it (came on the car).
Old 06-02-21, 12:33 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

I too ran an Apexi (HPS) rubber elbow but wanted Titanium. Went ModInJapan as i believe its made by JoeZ and I didnt feel like waiting 6-8 months for Lems.

Also heatsoaking is not really a big concern unless youre sitting at standstill traffic for hours at a time at idle. When the car is in motion, air is moving fast enough through that small pipe section that it wont be of concern.

I live in the desert and it has no effect on the cars performance.
Old 06-02-21, 01:12 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALexusF
I too ran an Apexi (HPS) rubber elbow but wanted Titanium. Went ModInJapan as i believe its made by JoeZ and I didnt feel like waiting 6-8 months for Lems.

Also heatsoaking is not really a big concern unless youre sitting at standstill traffic for hours at a time at idle. When the car is in motion, air is moving fast enough through that small pipe section that it wont be of concern.

I live in the desert and it has no effect on the cars performance.
FWIW, the IAT does rise pretty rapidly at a standstill. I have my IAT displayed on the nav unit nearly every drive, stock airbox is typically ~7-10deg above ambient cruising, it can raise another ~20deg sitting at a stoplight for just a couple minutes. Its even worse with an RR tuned intake because its not quite as sealed and is pulling in the engine bay air, I've seen IAT as high as 150deg sitting still.
Old 06-02-21, 02:42 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93MSB
FWIW, the IAT does rise pretty rapidly at a standstill. I have my IAT displayed on the nav unit nearly every drive, stock airbox is typically ~7-10deg above ambient cruising, it can raise another ~20deg sitting at a stoplight for just a couple minutes. Its even worse with an RR tuned intake because its not quite as sealed and is pulling in the engine bay air, I've seen IAT as high as 150deg sitting still.
Exactly. Sitting still idling is the worst enemy here. If you're cruising it will always stay closer to ambient temperature.

Ive half thought about ducting some air from the passenger side brake duct and channeling it to the intake pipe to help with IAT but was told it could throw off the ECU and cause the car to run poorly. The Ecu is too smart lol.
Old 06-02-21, 02:44 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Also forgot to mention this but the only gripe I had with the MIJ Ti Intake is the couplers it comes with. No matter how tight I got the t-bolt clamps (on either end) I could still rotate the intake.

I recommend getting some HPS couplers (i believe its 2.75 inch, id have to double check) that are 5 ply vs the 2/3 ply that come with the intake tube.
Old 06-02-21, 03:08 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALexusF
Exactly. Sitting still idling is the worst enemy here. If you're cruising it will always stay closer to ambient temperature.

Ive half thought about ducting some air from the passenger side brake duct and channeling it to the intake pipe to help with IAT but was told it could throw off the ECU and cause the car to run poorly. The Ecu is too smart lol.
I have mine ducted, it makes a nice difference in temps with the RR intake, I'm not sure it does much with the stock intake. It has no affect on fuel trims with the ECU. If you made a sealed system and it either suffocated or actually showed positive pressure at speed it might throw it off.

I've seen at least two other forum members with ducting

I have mine routed like pics# 3&4

The following 3 users liked this post by 93MSB:
ALexusF (06-03-21), footballpl (07-04-21), TXGS430 (06-09-21)

Quick Reply: ISF best titanium intake option ( MOD In Japan or RR racing)