IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR racing vs New OEM Mounts on 2012 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 12:00 PM
TXGS430
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry RR racing vs New OEM Mounts on 2012 ISF

Hey guys I am waiting for my PPE UEL headers to come in. I have checked all boxes and have everything ready for my install including all new OEM motor mounts,started,starter harness cover, all new denso 02 primary and secondary sensors along with DEI fire sleeve for the 02 wire harness. My reason for getting all new OEM motor mounts was because this is my daily and ultimately want to keep the noise and vibration as little as possible since I only plan on listening to my PPE headers and my Joe Z cat back with titanium intake from ( Mod In Japan). I am beginning to wonder if i made the right decision as far as the engine mounts at least for the front side engine mounts. Will Running new OEM increase my chances of possibly ****ing up my new headers. Looking for some confirmation in my thinking. I know regardless after 100k usually motor mounts will need to be replaced regardless of poly of OEM. I wonder if Im making the wrong decision going OEM. Since from what i hear is the reason the factory headers crack in the first place is due to worn motor mounts usually allowing too much play I wonder if i run the risk cracking my ppe headers later down the road...... or is the build quality that much better that regardless if the mounts get worn that the headers will be just fine. Asking for a friend ;(
Old 06-25-21, 12:37 PM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had OEM mounts and EL PPE headers for almost 40k miles. No issues other than a heat shield rattling against the header lol.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS430 (06-25-21)
Old 06-25-21, 12:50 PM
TXGS430
Rookie

@FilwithanF Awesome!! can't wait to start really enjoying my F. Did you happen to have that rattle from the heat shield before replacing the headers?
Old 06-26-21, 11:48 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

The rattle is most likely because he has equal length headers, the runners are longer, take up more space, and almost touch the mount. If you went unequal length this should not be an issue.

First, OEM is a good choice. I had a failed oem mount that caused the stock header to crack. I've also had a polyelast mount fail, most likely due to excessive heat and cycling w/EL headers. So IMO there's no guarantee of avoiding a mount failure. If it were me and I went with the OEM mounts. I would start keeping an good eye on them at around 60k miles of usage, its once they fail that the engine can torque over more and put stress on those welds. As I stated before, I had a poly mount fail with my PPE EL headers and the headers suffered no damage. I'm not sure if that means the welds are better or not, one of the "benefits" of the EL header is its so close to the frame rail once the mount fails you know immediately.
TXGS430 (06-28-21)
Old 06-27-21, 07:40 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Aren’t the newer OEM mounts an upgraded part number? What about RCF mounts? I would like to believe Lexus addressed it?
Old 06-28-21, 05:27 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

@93MSB very good point unfortunately i didn't have the fund to go EL so i went with ceramic coated UEL instead. Im starting off with all new OEM Lexus motor mounts so ill take your advice and keep an eye on them but god to know that the aftermarket ones have their own set of issues. Im pretty meticulous about maintenance so im sure ill be able to stay on top of it enough to avoid letting the headers get damaged ill just have to stay more conscious of how many miles i put on em. thanks for all the info!!
vraa (06-28-21)
Old 06-29-21, 07:36 AM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I am currently using the RRRACING engine mounts. I have ppe UEL Headers and haven't noticed too much difference between the oem mounts. I picked the RRRACING mounts because I had a blown mount on the passenger side when I installed the headers and thought I would try the upgraded mounts. Mine is a daily also and it is supercharged but still very comfortable. If I had to replace them again I feel I would still use the RRRACING mounts. I currently have about 12k miles on them and it still feels good.
The following 2 users liked this post by gixxerjp:
RRRacing (06-29-21), TXGS430 (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 07:23 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

@gixxerjp Thats great to know especially since you're running he same headers I will be running so that give me some piece of mind. Unfortunately i already purchased a set of oem mounts... however if they start to wear out too quick I will most likely be switching to the RR Racing mounts at least for the two side mounts.. the rest of the oem bracket mounts i think will hold up a lot longer than the two main side mounts. Thanks for chiming in this was very helpful! I definitely think especially with you doing the supercharger set up on yours the stiffer mounts are probably way more significant with your application.
Old 06-30-21, 09:07 AM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGS430
@gixxerjp Thats great to know especially since you're running he same headers I will be running so that give me some piece of mind. Unfortunately i already purchased a set of oem mounts... however if they start to wear out too quick I will most likely be switching to the RR Racing mounts at least for the two side mounts.. the rest of the oem bracket mounts i think will hold up a lot longer than the two main side mounts. Thanks for chiming in this was very helpful! I definitely think especially with you doing the supercharger set up on yours the stiffer mounts are probably way more significant with your application.
yes I did consider the oem mounts I had a good 80k miles on my car before I cahnge the side engine mounts. I would say that oem mounts should be fine. You will also enjoy the power increase and sound with the headers.
TXGS430 (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 10:12 AM
TXGS430
Rookie

@gixxerjp yeah I think If i was going to be running the supercharger i think it would be worth is but with the tune,headers,exhaust and titanium elbow i think the stock mounts will be enough for my application. Ill definitely keep you posted though if i see a decrease in longevity of the mounts! especially with the extra power gain cant wait to really start enjoying the car. Ive been pretty much babying hoping not to cause myself any extra issues before i get my headers swapped.