2013 IS F Gear Nudge (Slip)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 08:34 AM
exlr8in
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2013 IS F Gear Nudge (Slip)

Hi Friends,

2013 IS F Gear Nudge (Slip), hey I am starting to feel a tiny gap, slip not sure what to call it. When the car goes into gear whether it is reverse or drive I feel this tiny gap (clunk "feel") where it didn't use to be there before.

Any ideas on whether it is:
  1. The Differential (all or just parts)
  2. Drive axel
  3. Clutch
  4. Transmission

yeah I can take it to Lexus but just wanted to ask here first in the case it is something simple and easy for me to do. Its very small at the present moment but enough to recognize it ....

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-17-21, 08:58 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

I had something similar to this after having a tranny fluid flush done. Tranny fluid wasn't filled up all the way.
Old 07-17-21, 09:06 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

The trans fluid must be at the exact level. Not to high or low. Otherwise, it will misbehave.
Old 07-17-21, 09:42 AM
exlr8in
Driver

so is it normal to see such need for transmission fluid change for an 8yr old vehicle? what is the normal fluid schedule for the 2013 IS F?

Thanks Friends, seems like I am heading to the shop for transmission fluid change, not a bad idea even if it just needs a top off right?
Old 07-17-21, 01:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You don't need to change the fluid most of the time. It just needs to have the level set properly. You're not going to get this done at a transmission shop in one day. The car needs to be cold to set the level because the level is set at a very low temperature compared to normal operation. Anybody telling you they can do this "while you wait" is lying 100%. If I were you, I'd add 4 ounces of fluid and see if the problem stops. If not, add another 4 ounces. If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to go through the whole level setting process.

There is also another possibility - your passenger side engine mount is dead. This is also common and definitely causes the transmission to be clunky. Resolving this has multiple paths - some of us have used an updated part from Lexus (the same part is used in the RC F, GS F, and LC500), others have gone with aftermarket from Figs or RR Racing. All of these solutions have their plusses and minuses, pick your poison.
The following users liked this post:
93MSB (07-17-21)
Old 07-17-21, 02:03 PM
exlr8in
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You don't need to change the fluid most of the time. It just needs to have the level set properly. You're not going to get this done at a transmission shop in one day. The car needs to be cold to set the level because the level is set at a very low temperature compared to normal operation. Anybody telling you they can do this "while you wait" is lying 100%. If I were you, I'd add 4 ounces of fluid and see if the problem stops. If not, add another 4 ounces. If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to go through the whole level setting process.

There is also another possibility - your passenger side engine mount is dead. This is also common and definitely causes the transmission to be clunky. Resolving this has multiple paths - some of us have used an updated part from Lexus (the same part is used in the RC F, GS F, and LC500), others have gone with aftermarket from Figs or RR Racing. All of these solutions have their plusses and minuses, pick your poison.
what’s the Lexus part number please, if you have it?
Old 07-17-21, 02:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

12361-38230 for the engine - you would be wise to replace both. 12371-38110 for the transmission. Transmission mounts have also been known to fail when the engine mount fails.
The following users liked this post:
minator (07-17-21)
Old 07-26-21, 06:12 PM
exlr8in
Driver

haha I had seen this particular video years ago when I had my "blue 2014 (miss it bad).... Super Super Super awesome video to change transmission fluid for an IS F by an experience technician:

Enjoy
Old 07-26-21, 10:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I watched it a while ago. I wouldn't exactly call him "experienced" with this task. He does a few things I wouldn't ever do and I left some comments there 11 months ago.
Old 08-09-21, 04:18 PM
exlr8in
Driver

Back to the drawing board:
  1. Dealership was recently purchased by Penske (about a year maybe two ago)
  2. Dealership said re-iterated that the transmission fluid should "not" be changed
  3. Dealership said that "if" the transmission fluid was recommended by Lexus to change that it would have it in the maintenance or manual and it does not
  4. Dealership said that if I wanted to have them change the fluid along with the oil pan removal and gasket replacement that they would "not" warranty any work related to transmission issues as a result of this work

So what next, Options:
  1. Do not change the fluid\gasket at my local dealership
  2. Go to a different Lexus dealership and have them change the fluid
  3. Change the fluid myself
  4. just forget about it and leave it be

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-21, 04:47 PM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by exlr8in
  2. Dealership said re-iterated that the transmission fluid should "not" be changed
  3. Dealership said that "if" the transmission fluid was recommended by Lexus to change that it would have it in the maintenance or manual and it does not
  4. Dealership said that if I wanted to have them change the fluid along with the oil pan removal and gasket replacement that they would "not" warranty any work related to transmission issues as a result of this work

So what next, Options:

Thoughts?
Not gonna lie, changing the transmission filter and fluid yourself doesn't look half bad if you have the equipment (as the video you posted suggests), if you did have somebody do it for you there is always the chance that they don't do it right (or that they even do it at all) and its gonna cost a pretty penny most likely. Toyota WS ATF is already really expensive...
Old 08-10-21, 10:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by exlr8in

So what next, Options:

Thoughts?
Ask them why the Canadian maintenance guide includes changing the ATF and the US version does not when the transmission part numbers are the same and Toyota WS ATF is the same globally.

It just boils down to they don't want to do it. Take it someplace where they will if you want it done.