IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mystifying Master Cylinder/Booster Mishap

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 08:11 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
..... I've replaced the check valve, grommet, and hose with only limited success.....
same thing here
Old 09-16-21, 08:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

@ChpEng sorry man this looks brutal..!!

Originally Posted by 93MSB
same thing here
+2 also add I tightened the 2 nuts with very little movement..

Waiting to see if @lobuxracer has success wth the O ring swap.

Which appears to be missing in all these photos...

Joe Z
Old 09-17-21, 08:32 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Well there's the check valve, grommet, master cylinder gasket, and the pedal plunger/piston. Those are all places the vacuum could leak out from. I suppose also the booster housing itself, where the seam is but that's a static seal. I could not find a new booster anywhere. I got lucky when someone here sent me an eBay link to a used one. After taking my old one apart I think it is still fine. There really isn't much to go wrong in there or wear out.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-17-21, 09:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

What I am wondering at this point is if brake fluid leakage from the master cylinder is causing the rubber to become more porous and allow the system to bleed down over time, but not bleed so fast it impacts function when engine vacuum is present. I'm hoping to learn more when the parts show up.
Old 09-17-21, 04:18 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

The rubber diaphragm I have was oily but does not appear structurally compromised at all. It's pretty heavy material.
Old 09-26-21, 10:32 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRider
My guess would be one side was loose and put side load on the other causing it to shear off.
@NCRider Evidence suggests this is exactly what happened. The passenger-side stud was sheared, the driver-side stud was missing a nut. (I searched but never found it on engine splash shields.) I had originally thought both sides were sheared.

Photo of old booster.

My lesson learned is to check the nuts on the studs that hold the master cylinder to the booster if I ever have a squeak or "catch" in the brake pedal again. I never imagined that these nuts might back off. The dealer looked into my brake pedal complaint, but evidently missed the loose or missing nut also. They recommended replacing the booster, a diagnosis which I did not think to be credible. To be fair to everyone I had look at this, it requires a two-person diagnosis, one person to press on the brake pedal, the other to observe the booster.

As one might expect, the car's brakes are so much tighter and better with the new booster. Brakes engage at very top of pedal travel. No more intermittent squeak in brake pedal. Pleased with the result.

New and tightened nut on passenger side.

New and tightened nut on driver side.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
@ChpEng sorry man this looks brutal..!!
@Joe Z Yeah. But I am very grateful it did not fail during full send on a canyon road or a track.
That could have been really bad.

Hopefully this remains a rare occurrence. The probability of difficult repairs is why I bought the ISF instead of an E90/E92.

Last edited by ChpEng; 09-26-21 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added tag for Joe Z
The following 2 users liked this post by ChpEng:
Joe Z (09-27-21), petershen (09-27-21)
Old 09-27-21, 02:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Brakes almost always feel better after they've been bled. It's a lot of the reason guys say their brakes feel better after installing braided stainless lines. It's not the lines, it's just the improvement from a decent bleed and fresh fluid.
Old 09-28-21, 10:20 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Brakes almost always feel better after they've been bled. It's a lot of the reason guys say their brakes feel better after installing braided stainless lines. It's not the lines, it's just the improvement from a decent bleed and fresh fluid.
I agree in principle and have experienced same.
In this instance, I had the rotors, pads, lines replaced and fluid flushed in late April. Braking is so remarkably different and better now, that my assessment is that either the master cylinder was tilting against one nut, or the original booster was faulty, or both.