IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR Racing SuperCharger Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 04:15 PM
Kimsg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RR Racing SuperCharger Kit Question

This time, I will install the RR Racing SuperCharger Kit.
The most curious thing is durability when driving daily.
In this generation where electric vehicles are rampant, it is the last engine car in my life

I want to do basic maintenance and drive as much as I want.
Track doesn't go.
Instead, I'll drive daily in hot, cold, and rainy weather.

Are there owners who are already on drive?
Was there a real problem?

Can I just bolt-on it and enjoy it?

----------------------------------------
2011 IS-F / In KOREA

RR780 Kit (waiting shipping)
. add Oil Cooler
. add Radiator Package
. add Gauge kit

currently setup
. K&N CAI
. sikky V2 Header
. JunBL Middlepipe(custum catalyst)
. JunBL Dual Muffler
. ECU Mapping(Dyno, 423whp)
. GS450H Rear diff(3.7)
. Etc..
The following users liked this post:
ilovett76 (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 08:28 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

These are really great questions that we get asked every day.

The majority of our Supercharger customers daily drive their cars all year round. Many of them have put tens of thousands of miles on them and that includes us. Both of our shop cars are daily driven with our supercharger kits.

You will want to start with a good running car without any problems and then stay on top of the general maintenance. You will also need to always pay close attention to the gauges to make sure it's always in the best running condition as well.

Hope this helps.
-Justin
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-08-21, 09:07 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

This forum has seen trouble free boosted ISFs and some that have cracked ringlands, but the failures seem to be the minority. I recommend you google around and search this forum for more specifics. Reach out to the owners and ask for details if your curious about their ride. By and large, the boosted ones seem more active on Instagram.

The pistons are the weak point. They aren’t forged from the factory. I can only speak to one of them having good compression numbers prior to boost that failed. I say this of every single platform in existence. If you boost it, don’t be mad if you need to build it.

You add complexity when most of the cars that were boosted changed hands prior to boost, were older, higher mileage, etc. Tossing boost at a decade old car with over 100k miles will yield various results based on the car.

These engines are not bulletproof with boost, but really no engine ever was. Take the famous 2JZ engine. Did it hold boost well? Oh yes. Do most of us know people (or know of people) that blew them? Yes, some even with lower power levels.

Fuel Quality and maintenance are extremely important. If your running an E85 or E30 tune, you will really want to watch your ethanol content gauge. I’d start with a leak down test to gauge the engines health.

This Platform has a substantial reliability buffer built into it. When you boost it, you start to mod the car further into that buffer, leaving less room for error. Can the car be reliable? Yes. Is it garanteed? No.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 11-08-21 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-08-21, 12:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

I have long maintained if you choose to modify your only transportation, be sure to buy some good shoes. You'll need them. AMHIK.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
MisterSkiz (11-28-22), RJMacReady (12-02-22)
Old 11-08-21, 06:56 PM
Kimsg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RRRacing

The majority of our Supercharger customers daily drive their cars all year round. Many of them have put tens of thousands of miles on them and that includes us. Both of our shop cars are daily driven with our supercharger kits.

You will want to start with a good running car without any problems and then stay on top of the general maintenance. You will also need to always pay close attention to the gauges to make sure it's always in the best running condition as well.

Hope this helps.
-Justin
Thank you for answering directly from RR Racing.
There is always a lot of positive feedback from manufacturers and vendors.
So, I wanted to hear the stories of the real owners.

It is basic to watch the gauge well and to do the maintenance well.
I've done a lot of hardcore settings before, including turbochargers.
I was under a lot of stress about incidental problems even if I managed it.

If it looks good and rides well, is there any problem? don't answer this
I just want to know the real hidden problems of real owners.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-08-21, 06:59 PM
Kimsg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
This forum has seen trouble free boosted ISFs and some that have cracked ringlands, but the failures seem to be the minority. I recommend you google around and search this forum for more specifics. Reach out to the owners and ask for details if your curious about their ride. By and large, the boosted ones seem more active on Instagram.

The pistons are the weak point. They aren’t forged from the factory. I can only speak to one of them having good compression numbers prior to boost that failed. I say this of every single platform in existence. If you boost it, don’t be mad if you need to build it.

You add complexity when most of the cars that were boosted changed hands prior to boost, were older, higher mileage, etc. Tossing boost at a decade old car with over 100k miles will yield various results based on the car.

These engines are not bulletproof with boost, but really no engine ever was. Take the famous 2JZ engine. Did it hold boost well? Oh yes. Do most of us know people (or know of people) that blew them? Yes, some even with lower power levels.

Fuel Quality and maintenance are extremely important. If your running an E85 or E30 tune, you will really want to watch your ethanol content gauge. I’d start with a leak down test to gauge the engines health.

This Platform has a substantial reliability buffer built into it. When you boost it, you start to mod the car further into that buffer, leaving less room for error. Can the car be reliable? Yes. Is it garanteed? No.
I've heard good stories.
I know well that the moment I start tuning, the durability goes away.
That's why I was thinking of forged pistons from the start.
But if there is no problem, there is no need to do it first. save money too
I have no choice but to trust Lexus.
Old 11-08-21, 07:01 PM
Kimsg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have long maintained if you choose to modify your only transportation, be sure to buy some good shoes. You'll need them. AMHIK.
Good shoes mean good tires?
I'm still worried It snows a lot where I live. It's winter and it's going to snow soon. So I'm thinking about installing winter tires.
It's really painful to spend the winter with summer tires.
Old 11-08-21, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

No, not tires. Shoes. For your feet. Expect at some point you'll be walking and using public transit for a bit.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
F_Throttle (11-12-21), ljdsong (11-09-21), Rickna (11-26-22), RJMacReady (12-02-22)
Old 11-09-21, 08:09 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kimsg
Thank you for answering directly from RR Racing.
There is always a lot of positive feedback from manufacturers and vendors.
So, I wanted to hear the stories of the real owners.

It is basic to watch the gauge well and to do the maintenance well.
I've done a lot of hardcore settings before, including turbochargers.
I was under a lot of stress about incidental problems even if I managed it.

If it looks good and rides well, is there any problem? don't answer this
I just want to know the real hidden problems of real owners.

Thanks for the reply.
No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for. Be sure to check out all the youtube content you can find as there will always be unfiltered experiences on there.

Good luck

Old 11-09-21, 08:35 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

There are 4 SC F's and one SCIS350 near me and none are used as daily drivers. People will say they're reliable but only drive them 3k a year. Some had more issues than others like one RCF I know being parked for over a year retuning. Being on the forums for 5 years or so I've seen a handful experience issues due to age of the car, wrong fuel used, questionable installs, etc. Some used SC F's that pop up on the market many don't seem to touch. It seems like a well built kit but think about it: an oem sports car is tuned to work well in all conditions be it snowing or 100 degrees out, with 93 fuel, or 87 if that's the only thing available. A Lexus sports car is built past those standards and many have proven themselves with 200k miles and few issues. The car with an SC will yield good power, but reliability will suffer. Not a knock on the kit, it's just the nature of going forced induction on anything. To expect NA ISF reliability is reaching (in my opinion).I think if you are comfortable with a bit more issues and cost you would have a great time, but personally I would have even more fun modding a different platform like AMG, B58, GTR, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (11-27-22)
Old 11-09-21, 06:05 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I own a SC isf and drive it every day rain or shine. It's very hot here in Texas and also gets very cold. The maintenance is like any other the belt and supercharger oil is really the only additional maintenance I can think of. These kits are pretty robust and the tune RRRACING provides makes it a good daily driver option. I have a good friend who also has a SC isf and he has beat on it for over a year very hard. Other than a new belt and some idler bearings that needed replaced its been a great kit for him as well. I have been very happy with Rafi and Simon and there knowledge of these cars and kits they build. I have driven hwy and city and those are hard miles, I didn't build my car to let it sit in the garage. I built it to play with, for me having fun with it as a daily is why I did it in the first place. After having this kit and extra power I can't imagine not having it. My wife drives a gsf and when she decides to get a different car I will do the supercharger kit on that one as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by gixxerjp:
breed (12-12-21), MileHIFcar (11-10-21)
Old 11-09-21, 06:16 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Based on our experience supercharging these cars, these are the major factors which determine reliability:

(1) initial state of the engine. We strongly urge everyone to do a compression test prior to purchasing our SC kit. We have seen 130,000 mile engines with 200psi compression, and many with 160psi compression. There is a huge variability in the health of these engines as they age. Take a 160psi engine and supercharge it, and it won’t be long until you have ring land failure.

(2) For remote installs, we strongly urge the owners or installers to datalog the car so we can check the state of the tune. I would say out of 10 kits, probably only 2/10 ever bother sending a datalog.

(3) Fuel quality is critical. It is safer to make 650whp on high octane e85 than 530whp on 93. If you’re unsure of the fuel quality, it’s critical that you datalog the car.

If you expect any highly modded car to be as trouble free as a Lexus off the dealer lot, then you have unrealistic expectations, and shouldn’t be modding *any* car. These cars can be very reliable with SC, but as I mentioned it depends in the state of health of the engine prior to SC install and on the owner’s knowledge and vigilance in making sure it is running well.

Rafi

Old 11-10-21, 12:38 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Friend of mine has had his Supercharged running methanol injection and the smaller pulley here at altitude and has put on approx 10-12k miles in about 2 years. Other than some initial installer error issues and sorting out his tune with Rafi his car has been trouble free with the kit. I can attest they are all hard miles and the car purrs and puts the hurtin on plenty of other cars every weekend. 😎🏁
The following 2 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
Desecate (11-11-21), ISF4TW (02-18-22)
Old 11-25-22, 08:52 PM
patillac
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rr racing is a bunch of liars

Originally Posted by RRRacing

Hope this helps.
-Justin

well my car had 40,000 miles on it and I am the second owner and I’ve never misused my Lexus just so I could install a supercharger on it and I went with rr racing and it’s complete joke. I felt absolutely aero horsepower gain and it’s just horrible choice I can’t return it and it required me to tap into the existing ecu so now I removed the stupid waste of money and my check engine light stays on and I’ll never be able to sell my car or the super charger
I tried to call rr racing for help with the tune but the told me to find someone else to work on it even though they promised me on the phone support before I paid the 10,000 so if you ask me no never buy anything from these liars and if I ever see one I’m going to show him what I think of liars and geeedy snobs
Old 11-26-22, 11:26 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, not tires. Shoes. For your feet. Expect at some point you'll be walking and using public transit for a bit.
Originally Posted by patillac
well my car had 40,000 miles on it and I am the second owner and I’ve never misused my Lexus just so I could install a supercharger on it and I went with rr racing and it’s complete joke. I felt absolutely aero horsepower gain and it’s just horrible choice I can’t return it and it required me to tap into the existing ecu so now I removed the stupid waste of money and my check engine light stays on and I’ll never be able to sell my car or the super charger
I tried to call rr racing for help with the tune but the told me to find someone else to work on it even though they promised me on the phone support before I paid the 10,000 so if you ask me no never buy anything from these liars and if I ever see one I’m going to show him what I think of liars and geeedy snobs
What are you on adout did you put the belt on sounds like you don't know what your doing RR RACING are the best 😤