IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF owner- questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-21 | 11:23 AM
Askan
Driver School Candidate

Default New ISF owner- questions.

Hi all!

Im a new ISF owner and recently bought a 2008 model with 65000 miles on it.
  • I took it for a short spin the other day (not driven much at all since it is freezing and going wintertime.) but i noticed that after heating it up i did a full throttle pull in sport mode with the shifter in manual mode, at about 5800 rpm i went to upshift but the car didn't respond and stayed in 3rd. This has happend on a few occations when i go to upshift it does not respond. Downshifting is always fine. So im wondering if your ISF always responds to the paddles in manual mode or if the car can sometimes miss shifts?
  • Another thing i also noticed when testing the car was that the ABS was very aggressive, this was on close to freezing temperature. iv driven alot of performacecars before and i know what ABS engagement can feel like but on my ISF it was like it was acting uneven and shook the steeringwheel quite aggressively.

i might add that all my driving has been in around 0-3 degrees celsius (35 degrees fahrenheit).

Thank you for any help!
Old 12-01-21 | 11:47 AM
Vervish
Racer

Congrats on new ride.

I have not experienced any sort of shifting issues with mine. Considering it is only on the upshift, it might be that the paddle shifter module (on the steering wheel) iis not working correctly? Have you tried shifting from the shifter in the center counsel?

When ABS kicks in you can feel it, but it is similar to other cars I have driven...even on summer tires in cold weather.

Old 12-01-21 | 05:12 PM
Jwconeil

Just a general warning, these transmissions are very sensitive to the correct level of fluid. It’s a good idea to check that, and level it off if needed. I doubt that is the issue here, though.
Old 12-02-21 | 07:26 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Askan
Hi all!

• I took it for a short spin the other day (not driven much at all since it is freezing and going wintertime.) but i noticed that after heating it up i did a full throttle pull in sport mode with the shifter in manual mode, at about 5800 rpm i went to upshift but the car didn't respond and stayed in 3rd. This has happend on a few occations when i go to upshift it does not respond. Downshifting is always fine. So im wondering if your ISF always responds to the paddles in manual mode or if the car can sometimes miss shifts?
  • Another thing i also noticed when testing the car was that the ABS was very aggressive, this was on close to freezing temperature. iv driven alot of performacecars before and i know what ABS engagement can feel like but on my ISF it was like it was acting uneven and shook the steeringwheel quite aggressively.

i might add that all my driving has been in around 0-3 degrees celsius (35 degrees fahrenheit).

Thank you for any help!
You said it yourself, cold temps and you did a short spin. Big transmission, lots of gears, lots of fluid. Generally in 20-50 F degrees I don't push the car for at least 20 minutes wile it warms up. Even with 50-70 degrees, it can take a solid 15+ minutes for the fluid to be warm enough to bang gears. With the age the fluid should have been changed by now which will help, but I think it's more of a cold fluid issue.

Second issue may be the same but just cold tires. If you're on summers or even all seasons and they're not warmed up in >40 F degree weather, you may be loosing traction and the ABS starts cutting it.
The following users liked this post:
WhyHateTho (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21 | 09:03 PM
MMI
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Askan
Hi all!

Thank you for any help!
ABS engagement should feel similar to other cars. Do you have spacers on the front OEM wheels or aftermarket wheels with low offset? If you do, it might be the cause of kickback in the steering wheel when ABS engages.
Old 12-04-21 | 01:24 PM
Askan
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your input!

Will have to wait untill spring to drive it more. Going to lift the car on jackstands to inspect the chassi more during the winter.