IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RCF swap in ISF complete!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 06:04 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JaMIKEca
Yes, the RCF engine harness connector will plug into the ISF ecu. The engine has all the same sensors so all you have to do is find out where the input and output for those sensors go and put them where they were on the ISF so the ISF ecu can have the necessary information to send required signals. All toyota did was switch the pins around but everything on the engine are the same including the ecu connectors.

I am currently using the RCF OEM headers, i don't mind for now as articles says its more durable than the ISF stock headers. I will eventually get aftermaket headers, but for now i simply deleted the cats. I am using a BitEdit / BitBox software to flash tune the stock ISF ecu. I am an original haltech guy but i am now experimenting with ECU flash tunes. So i have the basic knowledge and experience to tune the car myself.
Now that's very curious, perhaps another option in tuning. Looks like a USB interface to the ECU. Working through the site, but I can't find how it specifically interfaces with the ECU?

Last edited by ultimase; 01-22-22 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 07:06 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Any time buddy, alot of people said it wasn't possible but it was all speculations. These were all people who've never tried it and was only using theory to conclude. I do my own research for these reasons.
It is straight forward, just tedious. Regarding the low side fuel pressure, i made a custom hanger by combining the ISF Hanger and the RCF hanger so i can use the stock RCF pump or a Hellcat pump if i wanted. Then i deleted the intank FPR and added an external FPR so i can control fuel pressure with a gauge from inside the engine bay. The RCF Fuel system doesn't have a return so i used the existing ISF return line for my external FPR. so now i have plently low side fuel pressure at my finger tips, it's also vacuum adjusted. The bigger HPFPs are cam driven so that doesn't affect anything, the cam speeds determine the pressure all the ecu does is provide power and ground to those pumps, the higher pressure from those HPFP is actually a good thing. The bigger Port injectors is also a good thing, that's like a simple injector upgrade so there's more fuel to play with. But most importantly since you'll now have alot more fuel than the ISF has you will need a tune to make this swap possible, similarly to when you install bigger injectors on any car. So if you're doing the swap you will need someone who can adjust the fuel or your car will run pig rich. I tune my car myself so this is why it was easy for me.
Any pics of your work? Couple ways to go about the fuel setup and I am very curious how you ended up where you did.

Did you stay with the oem motor mounts? Also, how difficult was the tuning process?

I am an original haltech guy but i am now experimenting with ECU flash tunes. So i have the basic knowledge and experience to tune the car myself.
And I love this! I was a Haltech guy back in the day as well!
Old 01-23-22, 07:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default !

Any time buddy, alot of people said it wasn't possible but it was all speculations. These were all people who've never tried it and was only using theory to conclude. I do my own research for these reasons.
It is straight forward, just tedious. Regarding the low side fuel pressure, i made a custom hanger by combining the ISF Hanger and the RCF hanger so i can use the stock RCF pump or a Hellcat pump if i wanted. Then i deleted the intank FPR and added an external FPR so i can control fuel pressure with a gauge from inside the engine bay. The RCF Fuel system doesn't have a return so i used the existing ISF return line for my external FPR. so now i have plently low side fuel pressure at my finger tips, it's also vacuum adjusted. The bigger HPFPs are cam driven so that doesn't affect anything, the cam speeds determine the pressure all the ecu does is provide power and ground to those pumps, the higher pressure from those HPFP is actually a good thing. The bigger Port injectors is also a good thing, that's like a simple injector upgrade so there's more fuel to play with. But most importantly since you'll now have alot more fuel than the ISF has you will need a tune to make this swap possible, similarly to when you install bigger injectors on any car. So if you're doing the swap you will need someone who can adjust the fuel or your car will run pig rich. I tune my car myself so this is why it was easy for me.
Nice work man. We look forward to seeing the progress!
Old 01-23-22, 05:41 PM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Received 61 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
Now that's very curious, perhaps another option in tuning. Looks like a USB interface to the ECU. Working through the site, but I can't find how it specifically interfaces with the ECU?
BitEdit / BitBox is a very complicated tuning software, if you don't know what you're doing you could brick your ECU in an instant which is a very expensive mistake. It's not a new software, this is what all the other tuners for this platform uses with slaves devices like dimsport or other handheld flashers, I just figured it out on my own since I have some tuning experience. Some uses VF Tuner also which I am not very fond of.
The following 2 users liked this post by JaMIKEca:
silverevo (03-13-23), viprez586 (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 10:50 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
It's a security dongle that's registered to the owner and said owner's purchased modules (ECUs) you have access to. It's online server based as well.
You'll need a tactrix/mongoose cable to reflash the ECU via OBD2
The following users liked this post:
ultimase (02-04-22)
Old 02-17-22, 06:13 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

.... I am using a BitEdit / BitBox software to flash tune the stock ISF ecu. I am an original haltech guy but i am now experimenting with ECU flash tunes. So i have the basic knowledge and experience to tune the car myself.
First off, nice homework and transplant!
Question, does this software allow you to see how the maps interact with each other? And can you isolate the cam VVT-i maps?

TIA!
Old 02-23-22, 06:37 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Nice catch! Couldn’t make it out on my phone. Need to message him on YT and see if this was one of the first pulls or if it was the one when he did 440whp and 440 torque as listed on his video.
he just rounded up nothing wrong with that 😆 🤣
Old 02-28-22, 04:38 AM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ForzaF
he just rounded up nothing wrong with that 😆 🤣
I missed that other guy's question. If you watch the video all the way to the end you'll see another Dyno sheet. There are 2, the second one reads 439.44whp, it's easier to say 440.

I finally got good ethanol now so I'm at E77, I adjusted the tune and added a few more degrees upping it from the stock timing. So it should be making more power now, I'll Dyno soon to see exactly how much. Only thing left now is to add aftermarket headers to see if I can break 500whp all motor. Got my eyes on some UEL PPE headers.
The following 4 users liked this post by JaMIKEca:
BS ISF (02-28-22), JT2MA71 (02-28-22), MileHIFcar (02-28-22), silverevo (03-13-23)
Old 02-28-22, 04:44 AM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
First off, nice homework and transplant!
Question, does this software allow you to see how the maps interact with each other? And can you isolate the cam VVT-i maps?

TIA!
Hi, here's a link to the list of the maps available in the software and what they do. See below

https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/bite...enso-petrol-5/
The following 2 users liked this post by JaMIKEca:
2013FSport (03-02-22), Cerevo (02-25-23)
Old 02-25-23, 06:49 PM
Cerevo
9th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, here's a link to the list of the maps available in the software and what they do. See below

https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/bite...enso-petrol-5/
this is super cool, so can you adjust the VVTi and direct injector timing and stuff too?

Have you dyno'd since you got the 77% ethanol and messed with headers or any other mods yet?
Old 03-08-23, 02:09 PM
tanweerr12
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Where did you get this done and how much did it cost? I have been looking to 2UR swap mine with the RC-F trans along with other components. Thought about buying a wrecked RC-F at auction and part it out.
Old 03-13-23, 11:28 AM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Cerevo
this is super cool, so can you adjust the VVTi and direct injector timing and stuff too?

Have you dyno'd since you got the 77% ethanol and messed with headers or any other mods yet?

Hi, yes you can adjust the VVTi maps and port / direct injectors. I no longer use bitedit to tune as it is a bit limited, i now use Winols, specifically since i'm tuning for boost now. I sold the RSF last year to my buddy. I have a turbo ISF now. The RSF is making close to 470whp currently on full E, still with stock headers. He'll break 500whp for sure if he installs some PPE headers. He said he's in no rush however since he's happy with how the car is currently. It's pretty strong and quick.
The following 3 users liked this post by JaMIKEca:
BS ISF (03-14-23), Cerevo (03-13-23), silverevo (03-13-23)
Old 03-13-23, 11:30 AM
JaMIKEca
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tanweerr12
Where did you get this done and how much did it cost? I have been looking to 2UR swap mine with the RC-F trans along with other components. Thought about buying a wrecked RC-F at auction and part it out.

I did everything myself, in my garage. Took me about a week. The whole swap cost me what i purchased the engine and transmission for. That's it.
The following 3 users liked this post by JaMIKEca:
Cerevo (03-13-23), minator (03-13-23), tanweerr12 (03-27-23)
Old 03-13-23, 11:54 AM
Cerevo
9th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Aw man, thanks for the update, hate that you sold it. It seems like an awesome project. I've gotta look into that tuning gear for sure. Any chance your buddy gets on here?
I'd love to see this thing at the dragstrip
Old 03-26-23, 10:49 AM
TheNaeblis
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I did everything myself, in my garage. Took me about a week. The whole swap cost me what i purchased the engine and transmission for. That's it.
Any chance we could see your ISF turbo setup in a build thread? Saw your vid on YouTube and would love to get more info on the layout and how it's working for you. From your comments there you're going to be doing some additional support over the summer as well. Would be awesome to see the process and results.

Quick Reply: RCF swap in ISF complete!