IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Navi screen out

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22 | 04:15 AM
Greatest
Pit Crew

Default Navi screen out

My screen is done and I’m living with it ok until my wife got in and adjusted her temp. Now the dual is locked in and adjusting two different temps surpasses my first world problem limit.

I’ve unplugged the battery and it didn’t reset. Though, all my saved presets did making my steering adjusting obsolete 😅

Do any of those OB2 plug ins give control of the dual temp?
Any suggestions until I can take the system to a local place and have it fixed. They said 300$ ish btw.
Thanks
Old 05-06-22 | 03:52 AM
Greatest
Pit Crew

Anyone at all
Old 05-06-22 | 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No OBD plug in will operate the HVAC. It's on a different network called BEAN.
Old 05-06-22 | 05:03 PM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Time to replace the digitizer, common problem.
Old 05-07-22 | 12:30 AM
Jacoby
Driver School Candidate

I replaced mine myself and the part was like $8. Just take your time and have a big table to lay parts out
The following users liked this post:
Quadrphnia (05-07-22)
Old 05-07-22 | 07:07 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jacoby
I replaced mine myself and the part was like $8. Just take your time and have a big table to lay parts out
Could you give some more details about what you did? I've done apples/androids phones/tablets and would appreciate any specifics you've got on this one. I anticipate this happening to all of us eventually.
Old 05-07-22 | 11:42 AM
av8or
Intermediate

here you go.. search thread is your best friend.. I fixed mine 5 years ago following these steps..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html
The following users liked this post:
footballpl (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22 | 11:22 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by av8or
here you go.. search thread is your best friend.. I fixed mine 5 years ago following these steps..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-fix-diy.html
Maybe you could answer this but is replacing the whole LCD screen easier all together vs replacing just the digitizer? I thought about replacing my whole screen because it's yellowing towards the bottom and that's usually a sign of a dying LCD screen.
Old 05-09-22 | 02:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Maybe you could answer this but is replacing the whole LCD screen easier all together vs replacing just the digitizer? I thought about replacing my whole screen because it's yellowing towards the bottom and that's usually a sign of a dying LCD screen.
Yes, it's easier for sure, but obviously it's more expensive.
Old 05-13-22 | 02:02 PM
av8or
Intermediate

the whole screen is the digitizer itself.. you replace the whole thing.. just make sure you get one that does not have a rainbow reflection on the screen. some have them and can be seen on certain angles..
Old 05-13-22 | 04:57 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by av8or
the whole screen is the digitizer itself.. you replace the whole thing.. just make sure you get one that does not have a rainbow reflection on the screen. some have them and can be seen on certain angles..
As far as I'm tracking, most were replacing the digitizer itself because it's cheaper. I saw some DIYs where they were separating the digitizer from the LCD screen, gluing the new digitizer on over the original LCD and resoldering just that one ribbon cable. Another reason why I can find two separate parts as one with the LCD fully assembled w/digitizer and the other is the cheaper option with just the digitizer itself. I've always read like you mentioned the rainbow coating or whatever with some replacements.

Old 05-13-22 | 10:51 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

As far as I'm tracking, most were replacing the digitizer itself because it's cheaper. I saw some DIYs where they were separating the digitizer from the LCD screen, gluing the new digitizer on over the original LCD and resoldering just that one ribbon cable. Another reason why I can find two separate parts as one with the LCD fully assembled w/digitizer and the other is the cheaper option with just the digitizer itself. I've always read like you mentioned the rainbow coating or whatever with some replacements.

I'm trying to understand this. The digitizer can be replaced as its own unit.

I did it myself a couple of years ago but I found that the aftermarket replacement screen was dull, not as transparent, and isn't fingerprint resistant as the OEM one.

With that being said, it was nice to have accurate touch points again.

Until it stopped. It got to the point where the screen would only register ONE touch at each start up.
Then it got really inconsistent...
Then it was only giving screen touches IF the car was cold (I'm talking about winter ~30*F) before the HVAC would warm up the car and the screen would be useless.

I broke it out of frustration (pushed too hard) and I'm back on the original digitizer again (Good thing I kept it).

I keep seeing people mention using a silver pen to relay some conductive material but idk where they're doing it.

I still have this issue where the top of the screen is accurate but the further you go down, the more inaccurate it got (if you pressed at the very bottom, let's say 100%, it'd only register whatever is 20% before it. 50% would mean it would give ~10% right above where you touched it)
Old 05-14-22 | 08:51 AM
93MSB
Instructor

it's possible in some cases to repair the connection on the ribbon cable with a conductive pen, I did it on my sisters 07 IS250. Here's the thread for that procedure Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 01-11-23 | 10:34 AM
Lushman
Pit Crew

I'm assuming the OP has resolved the issue, but posting for future members who encounter. I did this repair myself in 2022, and I'm pretty average in terms of being "handy". I found this youtube video and followed it exactly.
Getting prepped and staying organized was key. Watched the video several times. Kept all my screws in labelled containers - re-watched the video again mid-project.

Initially, I was concerned I would do all this work and it wouldn't fix the issue, but it works well now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lushman:
isfvss (01-11-23), MileHIFcar (01-11-23), silverevo (01-27-23)
Old 01-30-23 | 07:55 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

see, my concern is that while the screen works, the accuracy is still off.
Towards the top, 100% accurate.
By the time you get to the bottom of the screen, you can't touch the AC button or confirm a different audio player.