IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Koyo radiator without transmission cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 05:09 PM
xwilkinx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Koyo radiator without transmission cooler?

I'm looking to add an ISF to my garage and was interested in one located close to me. I haven't seen the car yet, but have been talking with the current owner.

He claims he recently had the stock radiator replaced at a local shop with the Koyo one which is a pretty common upgrade. However, when I asked about the secondary transmission cooler, he said he never supplied one to the shop.

Now, the only thing I can think that the shop did (assuming the radiator was actually replaced) was just bypass the secondary transmission cooler. If this is the case, I would assume the transmission would be susceptible to overheating, especially under hard driving.

Does anyone have any feedback on this? I haven't seen the car yet and will be taking a look when I do, but would it be enough to avoid this ISF if no secondary transmission cooler was added?
Old 04-30-22, 07:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

If the stock rad does have the integrated trans cooler and this person deleted it I wouldn't buy the car. If they cut corners on that what else did they monkey with. Doesn't the car have a stand alone transmission cooler as well? Or just that?
Old 05-01-22, 12:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

The transmission has two "coolers," one in the radiator and the other an air/oil cooler in front of the engine radiator. If you bypass the one in the radiator, you still have the second cooler in circuit unless the person installing the radiator failed to bypass the radiator circuit properly.
Old 05-02-22, 11:22 AM
ubersonic
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

A good idea would be to test drive the car, if it feels like the transmission isn't working or if transmission warnings come up then the damage has been done. If not you could choose to buy it then fit either an OEM radiator or the extra cooler to go with the Koyo, but you would have the knowledge that the guy who owned it before you was either a cheapskate or dumb, both of which could lead to finding more things not right with the car down the line. It would be a gamble on your part.
Old 05-09-22, 05:12 PM
Kevtron
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It could’ve been replaced with a Koyo OE replacement radiator.