IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help (Car Audio)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 04:54 PM
Ohyuppp
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help (Car Audio)

My speakers sounds like crap in my 2010 isF. Went to a car audio shop to get new ones but they said it be best to get oem. Has anyone upgraded theirs like all up front speakers and dash ???? Keeping stock rears and stock amp?
Old 09-15-22, 09:48 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Try a different car audio shop... horrible advice.
D definitely go with a quality aftermarket speaker. A nice quality 4ch amp would work wonders as well. Lastly, and most importantly, a quality install and tuning, to finalize things
​​​​​​pm me if you need further help!

V.
Old 09-15-22, 10:14 PM
Ohyuppp
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vitveet
D definitely go with a quality aftermarket speaker. A nice quality 4ch amp would work wonders as well. Lastly, and most importantly, a quality install and tuning, to finalize things

V.

thanks appreciate it I’ll try a different place.
Old 09-15-22, 10:43 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet

V.
Excellent advice! I can't believe any car audio shop would actually recommend sticking with OEM speakers in an ISF.
The following 2 users liked this post by semnosNSX:
caymandive (10-03-22), Vitveet (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 07:24 AM
Ohyuppp
Rookie

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Excellent advice! I can't believe any car audio shop would actually recommend sticking with OEM speakers in an ISF.

and the funny thing is the guy who helped me owns a isf like wtf. 🤦‍♂️
Old 09-16-22, 07:44 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

The OEM speakers have a nominal impedance of 6 or 8ohms depending on MY*, and most (non-subwoofer) aftermarket speakers are 4ohms. Car audio shops are sensitive to the risk of over-stressing the OEM amplifier with lower-impedance speakers, and that liability is why they recommend replacing speakers with OEM. Crutchfield will sell you anything...they don't care.

I have had two reputable aftermarket shops recommend replacing the ML amplifier with an Amp/DSP combination unit such as Helix V12 or JL Audio VX800/8i. The custom tuning capability allows retention of the factory wiring harness and a mixture of OEM and aftermarket speakers across channels. (This leads to some interesting design decisions regarding passive vs active crossovers, especially for the front doors.) The Amp/DSP route is expensive, but is becoming more prevalent for aftermarket "premium" audio upgrades.

Useful links:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...converter.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-channel.html

* Speaker impedance is a nominal value, and may vary between individual speakers of the same part # due to differences in voice coil condition, especially on older cars. Chilton's/Lexus repair manual for MY11 provides impedance ranges which vary from 4.8-7.2ohms for the front door woofers to 4.8-6.4ohms for the front midrange to 5-7ohms for the rear door woofers. The bottom line is that they are definitely not 4ohm speakers.

Last edited by ChpEng; 09-16-22 at 07:46 AM. Reason: additional detail to footnote
Old 09-16-22, 08:10 AM
Ohyuppp
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChpEng
The OEM speakers have a nominal impedance of 6 or 8ohms depending on MY*, and most (non-subwoofer) aftermarket speakers are 4ohms. Car audio shops are sensitive to the risk of over-stressing the OEM amplifier with lower-impedance speakers, and that liability is why they recommend replacing speakers with OEM. Crutchfield will sell you anything...they don't care.

I have had two reputable aftermarket shops recommend replacing the ML amplifier with an Amp/DSP combination unit such as Helix V12 or JL Audio VX800/8i. The custom tuning capability allows retention of the factory wiring harness and a mixture of OEM and aftermarket speakers across channels. (This leads to some interesting design decisions regarding passive vs active crossovers, especially for the front doors.) The Amp/DSP route is expensive, but is becoming more prevalent for aftermarket "premium" audio upgrades.

Useful links:

* Speaker impedance is a nominal value, and may vary between individual speakers of the same part # due to differences in voice coil condition, especially on older cars. Chilton's/Lexus repair manual for MY11 provides impedance ranges which vary from 4.8-7.2ohms for the front door woofers to 4.8-6.4ohms for the front midrange to 5-7ohms for the rear door woofers. The bottom line is that they are definitely not 4ohm speakers.

thanks a lot. 💪
Old 09-16-22, 05:36 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng

Useful links:

Thank you for the technical info... it is very helpful to understand. My comment was geared to the fact that most people agree the factory OEM ML stereo is pretty much crap. I updated my entire system and the difference is night and day. The only thing I didn't upgrade was the factory head unit... but I used a JL Fix-86.
The following users liked this post:
Ohyuppp (09-16-22)
Old 10-02-22, 10:43 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

...I updated my entire system and the difference is night and day. The only thing I didn't upgrade was the factory head unit... but I used a JL Fix-86.
Looks like the JL Fix-86 has 8x input channels and 6x output channels. Did you go with 4x channels to the doors with passive crossovers, then 2x bridged to a sub? Did it make sense to keep the ML amp in parallel, or just leave the front/center and rear/satellite speakers unused? Any amps downstream of the DSP? Would appreciate any details you care to share...thanks.