Has anyone installed this?

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/5...ytic-converter

The following users liked this post:
md6380 (02-12-23)
Old 02-11-23, 04:16 PM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

It's an OEM replacement, maybe it'll have better welds than Toyota.
Magnaflow stuff is good
Old 02-11-23, 05:03 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by IronNam
It's an OEM replacement, maybe it'll have better welds than Toyota.
Magnaflow stuff is good
I'd rather repair a broken Toyota weld on a Toyota catalytic converter than replace a Toyota converter with Magnaflow garbage.

I think you might be mistaking Magnaflow product departments..........Magnaflow mufflers and exhaust pipe systems are good.......their exhaust manifold catalytic converters are GARBAGE. Their "single unit, direct fit" manifold style catalytic converters meet the ABSOLUTE minimum federal requirements for longevity......meaning you can pay $3,000+ for something that works for 5 years....... When the catalytic converters fail after 5 years you have no means to recoup any of the loss. A factory catalytic converter can last 20 years (or more) if you use the correct fuel grade........so think about this......think about it real hard..... Let's say your original catalytic converter lasted 20 years...... Your car is 20 years old and now it needs a $3,000 generic catalytic converter to be running good again. Do you spend $3,000 to keep your 20 year old car running for the next 5 years or do you spend more than that to get an original catalytic converter and not have to worry about how long your car is going to run no matter what

MAny companies manufacture catalytic converters......when it comes to buying MagnaFlow catalytic converters, you're buying the equivalent of a TJ Maxx, Target or Walmart product.

Last edited by JacobsDad; 02-11-23 at 06:22 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JacobsDad:
PJSnow (02-13-23), Rickna (02-12-23), silverevo (02-11-23), WhyHateTho (02-12-23)
Old 02-11-23, 05:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^Correct:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-no-more.html
silverevo (02-11-23)
Old 02-11-23, 06:12 PM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
THANK YOU....

I hate when a company makes a single great product and people think that particular company's single great product is the standard by which all that company's products should be judged. Don't get me wrong, MagnaFlow makes some great products..... Just not great catalytic converters.

I'm certified California smog tech. Factory trained Toyota tech currently employed at a Toyota dealership. I am ASE Master Tech Certified in many aspects of vehicle driveability. I also hold current California certified ASE smog tech service/repair certs.......there is no way ANY aftermarket catalytic converter manufacturer can produce a product which outperforms the original equipment manufacturer and still continue doing business........ I mean think about it you have these little *** companies that build little *** catalytic converters which sell for a few thousand dollars versus a multi-billion dollar vehicle manufacturing industry..........think about it.

Last edited by JacobsDad; 02-11-23 at 06:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JacobsDad:
apham8 (11-17-23), RJMacReady (02-12-23), silverevo (02-11-23)
Old 02-11-23, 09:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobsDad
THANK YOU....

I hate when a company makes a single great product and people think that particular company's single great product is the standard by which all that company's products should be judged. Don't get me wrong, MagnaFlow makes some great products..... Just not great catalytic converters.

I'm certified California smog tech. Factory trained Toyota tech currently employed at a Toyota dealership. I am ASE Master Tech Certified in many aspects of vehicle driveability. I also hold current California certified ASE smog tech service/repair certs.......there is no way ANY aftermarket catalytic converter manufacturer can produce a product which outperforms the original equipment manufacturer and still continue doing business........ I mean think about it you have these little *** companies that build little *** catalytic converters which sell for a few thousand dollars versus a multi-billion dollar vehicle manufacturing industry..........think about it.
The one exception is GESI. Their units deliver under the most difficult situations - racing. That said, the OEM cat on my Supra has been consistently good and never failed a smog check in California or Georgia right up to the 25 year point where it no longer required testing. I'm pretty confident even today at just short of 30 years old, it would still be working sufficiently to pass the most stringent smog requirements for a 1993 MY car. Still, I'm putting a GESI cat in it with upgraded turbos because the OEM cat is the biggest restriction in the 2JZ-GTE system from the factory after you disable boost management. The GESI cat will support more power than the configuration I am setting up will provide, so I'll be happy my car won't stink, will make great power, and will last without shelling out the substrate like the Magnaflow is known to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Rickna (02-12-23), silverevo (02-11-23)
Old 02-11-23, 10:46 PM
silverevo
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The one exception is GESI. Their units deliver under the most difficult situations - racing. That said, the OEM cat on my Supra has been consistently good and never failed a smog check in California or Georgia right up to the 25 year point where it no longer required testing. I'm pretty confident even today at just short of 30 years old, it would still be working sufficiently to pass the most stringent smog requirements for a 1993 MY car. Still, I'm putting a GESI cat in it with upgraded turbos because the OEM cat is the biggest restriction in the 2JZ-GTE system from the factory after you disable boost management. The GESI cat will support more power than the configuration I am setting up will provide, so I'll be happy my car won't stink, will make great power, and will last without shelling out the substrate like the Magnaflow is known to do.
I wonder if anyone has put Gesi cats on ppe headers. Would love to see some pics.
Old 02-12-23, 07:26 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by silverevo
I wonder if anyone has put Gesi cats on ppe headers. Would love to see some pics.
https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...DESC&limit=100
silverevo (02-12-23)
Old 02-12-23, 11:43 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by silverevo
My friend has Gesi cats on his car. He has PPE headers with XForce exhaust. He had the Gesi cats welded in the midpipe to help with the fumes. I don't think he has any pics, but I do know he's very happy with it.
silverevo (02-12-23)
Old 02-12-23, 12:38 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

When I bought my used Borla, it had Magnaflow cats welded in place of the resonators. After about 2 years the substrate collapsed-you could hear it rattling around, especially on startup. Taking advice from CL'ers I replaced the the cats with GESI. I think they were around 2x price, IMO worth every penny.
Old 02-12-23, 12:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

After the experience in the thread I linked above, I replaced the crapy Maggie's with Gesi's. I know have them on my LC.
Rickna (02-12-23)
Old 02-12-23, 02:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

PPE headers with GESI cats? Like this?

The following 5 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
BS ISF (02-13-23), inovashn (02-13-23), Rickna (02-13-23), silverevo (02-12-23), ubersonic (03-23-23)
Old 02-13-23, 10:13 AM
Lushman
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Silverevo,
I'm a natural born over-researcher. I spent a lot of time scouring the forum looking at old threads when I started looking for headers/manifold replacements. There seemed to be an unusually high proportion of posts where the Magnaflow units had failed, leaving the owner stuck with a repair bill, as well as a desire for better headers. It's prompted me to get a set of PPE with Cat, just like the ones Lobuxracer posted above. There might be a couple of hundred bucks saved in the short term by buying the Magnaflow, but I'd always be wondering when it was going to fail. I had PPE headers on my old MR2 and they were high-quality and were still on it when I sold it. Figs was excellent to order from, by the way. As a Canadian, shipping to a customs-broker office in Washington state, it was a little more complicated, but Figs answered all my (numerous) questions and sorted out the shipping for me.
silverevo (02-13-23)
Old 02-13-23, 10:33 AM
silverevo
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lushman
Silverevo,
I'm a natural born over-researcher. I spent a lot of time scouring the forum looking at old threads when I started looking for headers/manifold replacements. There seemed to be an unusually high proportion of posts where the Magnaflow units had failed, leaving the owner stuck with a repair bill, as well as a desire for better headers. It's prompted me to get a set of PPE with Cat, just like the ones Lobuxracer posted above. There might be a couple of hundred bucks saved in the short term by buying the Magnaflow, but I'd always be wondering when it was going to fail. I had PPE headers on my old MR2 and they were high-quality and were still on it when I sold it. Figs was excellent to order from, by the way. As a Canadian, shipping to a customs-broker office in Washington state, it was a little more complicated, but Figs answered all my (numerous) questions and sorted out the shipping for me.
I over research as well lol. Hence the low post count since 2018 though I did just buy my ISF finally. I'm probably going with PPE headers. I haven't decided if I want the cats on the header or the mid pipe. Plus I have to find a place that will pass visual for smog inspection since I'm in Communist California.
Old 02-13-23, 10:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^For me, I want the cats and header separate. If one gets damaged you don't replace the combined assembly. The Cat, header assembly is not equal length.
silverevo (02-13-23)

Quick Reply: Magnaflow carb legal manifold