IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 03:52 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rachael, I have no reason to call Andy at MHP as I have never purchased or invested in any of his products.
Peter

Originally Posted by brattygirl
+1 I've been trolling this thread for months and I was skeptical too until I read Juanca gained 20 RWHP from the tune. Please see his post below. I am going to be patient and see what Andy has to say about the ECU's before I make my final decision.
HoustonT and Pat, this may seem like a silly question but have you guys called Andy? If so, has he returned your call yet? Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope Andy can fix your problem or give you a refund.

Cheers,

Rachael
Old 04-24-09, 04:30 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I haven't heard from Andy in a long time, last thing I heard was that he was having lots of fun tuning expensive cars in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, or some place over there.

His website's design has changed, it looks cleaner now. I don't see our car listed on his website though, it could mean that he doesn't feel positive about fully tuning it.
He probably feels like many of us that the investment isn't worth the gain.
I'm sure he was hoping for much more (as we were)......but it seems that Lexus got most of the ponies out of our little 5.0 gem already.
C.
Old 04-24-09, 04:41 PM
brattygirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonT
Rachael, I have no reason to call Andy at MHP as I have never purchased or invested in any of his products.
Peter
Many apologizes, I thought you purchased the tuned ECU.
Old 04-24-09, 05:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Looks like they may not be on MBWorld anymore either??

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/c63-am...-news-mhp.html

I heard there was an issue with a C63 owner in IL?? I didnt see or read what went down. There is a big thread on some MB forum about this but I never took the time to search it.
there's about 3 good threads on there that would kill anyone even remotely wanting to get a mhp "rebranded tune".

---- to those still questioning if they are going to spend money----

1. why not go to the source?
2. google mhp and mbworld and others and do a little reading. I mean it would be worth it to you before you spend a few 1000. Unless a few 1000 doesn't matter to you, but if that was the case you would all be driving a car a bit more expensive than 55k.
3. ask yourself why people like caymandive, lobuxracer, and other respected people of this forum haven't gone through with a tune?
Old 04-24-09, 05:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^I was just reading through all of it. Its a shame. He was very pleasant to deal with. If my car worked on the Dyno I would have pulled the trigger myself. oh well...
Old 04-24-09, 06:10 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, here is the story.

In early January I paid MHP to modify my ISF's ECM/TCM. I sent the ECM but forgot to send the TCM (separate boxes on the ISF). As soon as I Andy contacted me, I pulled the TCM and sent it to Dave Kaspar. Everything went directly to Dave Kaspar in Warren Michigan. After about a week I got my ECM and TCM back. When I had the baseline dyno numbers run (before the tune) it was done in 5th gear because the technican at ARD thought that was the 1:1 gear ratio (instead of 6th which is actually 1:1).

Andy and I had agreed that the rev limiter would be increased to between 7,000 and 7,200 rpm. When I got it back and had driven several hundred miles (hard) I redyno'd on the same dyno. RWHP was up to about 342. As it turns out, this was almost exactly the same rwhp that houstonT's ISF delivered on the same Dyno without any modifications.

I then added the Joe Z exhaust and the Joe Z intake. Before adding the intake I dyno'd at 377 rwhp. Of course, houstonT (with the same Joe Z mods) dyno'd at about 382 rwhp (again same dyno). Andy and I talked about sending my ECM back for retuning after the mods.

In parallel with this, Andy had asked if there was a Toyota Tundra which could be used as a test bed for modifications. My son has a 2007 Tundra QMSB. Andy would make the mods for free if we would post the results on Tundra Solutions. We ran a baseline on Mike's Tundra. His 1:1 gear is 4th but because of the speed limiter at 112 mph we were not able to get to max rpm (5800 rpm) before the speed limiter shut it down.

One of the problems with the Tundra is a sloppy shifting transmission. When we got Mike's ECM/TCM (1 unit) back from Dave the shifting seemed to be much improved, but the rev limiter had not been raised or eliminated. Again Andy had agreed to do this during the first tune. After driving it for about a week we sent the ECM/TCM back to Dave. That was on January 26, 2009. After a week we contacted Andy to ask where the ECM/TCM was. He said that it would be shipped on Monday that it should have been shipped on Friday but Dave didn't make it to UPS in time to send it on Thursday or Friday. (By the way, I have PMs to document all of this). A week later, still no ECM/TCM. The next excuse was that when Dave was programming the ECM/TCM there had been a lighting strike and the ECM/TCM had been fried. Dave was buying another. Still a week later, still no ECM/TCM. It was going to ship the next day.

The next excuse was that Andy and Dave were going to the Abu Daubi to program some of the Royal Families Toyota/Lexus vehicles, but that Dave would ship Mike's ECM/TCM before they left to go to Abu Daubi. They were to leave on Saturday, by Wednesday still no ECM/TCM. When I contacted Andy (susposedly in Abu Daubi) he said that he had talked to Dave and that Andy would order a new ECM to be delivered to us. Didn't happen. Then when they got back (susposedly) Andy stated that what had happened was that the UPS delivery person was pissed at the company so had been taking the address lables off packages so they weren't going to their destinations. UPS had discovered this and had found the packages so the ECM/TCM was comming shortly. Again it did not hapen.

Finally I threatened Andy saying that if he didn't get it back to us I was going to buy Mike a new one and let everyone know what has happened. He swore that Dave would buy and new one and send it to us. Two weeks later still no ECM/TCM.

Finally, after over two and one half months, I bought a new ECM/TCM for Mike from Toyota and installed it in Mike's Truck so now it is back operational.

During the last two weeks I have heard nothing from Andy. There is no way I can send my ECM back for retuning, even if they were able to actually modify the ECM (which I have seriously began to doubt).

It has now been 3 months since we sent Mike's ECM to Dave and it still has not been returned.

At this point I am out a total of almost $4,000 and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Am I pissed, yes. Do I really think that Andy will return my money - NO. He has not followed through on any of the promises pertaining to the Tundra ECM/TCM. I consider the money thrown down a "Rat Hole".

Luckily I can easily afford to lose $4k. Don't feel too sorry for me, I went into this knowing that something like this might happen. I could have afforded to buy a C63 AMG or even a GTR but I liked my ISF (and still do). I am writing this to warn others so they will not have the same thing happen to them. I will post a reference to this post on the Tundra Solutions since I told them I would give them a realistic assessment when Mike and I took on being the test bed for the Tundra Modifications.

Pat

Pat
Old 04-24-09, 06:13 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

This just doesn't make any sense. Why would Andy go through all the trouble and countless man hours to scam one IS-F owner out of a couple grand By his own admission, Andy said there just isn't that much to squeeze out of the 2UR-GSE engine. Juanca noticed a difference and has the dyno results to prove it as well as side by side comparison vs another IS-F. Andy's work with the C63 is proven, and time tested with his 11.5 second passes (fastest C63 to date) so commenting about his status on another site is pure conjecture.

Let's give Andy the benefit of the doubt to respond.....and act accordingly. This just doesn't add up!
Old 04-24-09, 06:41 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

8-Speed,

I have given him the benefit of the doubt for 3 months. During that time Mike's Tundra was sitting in his driveway, inoperable.

If you go the the MB site and look in the archeives you will find that there were similar incidents with the C-63 AMG that ran 11.59 in the quarter and other issues. I discounted those but I know what has happened to me. There appears to be a pattern here.

Pat
Old 04-24-09, 06:50 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

This is a shame to say the least. How is there no legal precedent here? and if MHP was a forum sponsor, why can't the front office at CL do anything to help you out? Keep all your PM's as documentation because you can use them in a court of law and pay the couple bucks to file a claim against MHP and get your money back!
Old 04-24-09, 07:05 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

8speed,

At this time I am just tired of messing with it. Mike and I are building a couple of SpecMiatas (I have three 1991s and Mike has a 1992). I am also considering installing a modified GM LS2 (all aluminum) in one of them along with a T56 6speed manual transmission and a Ford 8.8" IRS rear end. There are several shops that make cradles for the engine/transmission and for the rear end.

The LS2 only adds 200 pounds to the Miata and minimally effects the balance. 53% front, 47% rear.

Susposedly they handle great on a closed course. A little too short wheel base to make a great drag car but should be in the low 11s.

The modified LS2 (heads and cam) will have approximately 450 rwhp in a car that gutted will weigh about 2300 pounds.
Old 04-24-09, 07:25 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Funny you should say that, there is a guy out here in Virginia with a (i think) chevy big block engine in a Miata and super wide rear tires. I don't know how he keeps that thing on the road
Old 04-24-09, 07:28 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Prolem with the big block is that it is probably 300 pounds heavier than the all aluminum LS2.
Old 04-24-09, 07:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Pat, sorry to hear your issues. Earlier today when I noticed that MHP was no longer tagged as a sponsor I asked for some detail with what's going on with them from IB. I'll make sure they know about your issue as well.

I'm not certain if there is anything that they can do anything about it if there are other problems going on that caused MHP sponsorship to be pulled that I'm not aware of, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm going to close this thread for now as it's confusing for newer members who read from the beginning and don't realize that there appear to be some issues that need to be resolved. I'll follow back up with you via PM with what I hear back.