IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 10:27 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

2 piece rotors i hear?...

Should lighten things up a bit. Lets see if they actually make it.
Old 03-19-10, 06:22 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually don't like aftermarket brakes. I thought I can live with the dusts but the amount of dust is just insane for less than a week of driving. I found a good reliable shop here in LA that charges very little for installing pads and I may switch.

Please keep us update when you can.

Originally Posted by N54MPower
Just to update this, I should be recieving a set of these pads by the end of the week and as soon I get them installed I'll post my impressions of them.

My car doesn't actually need pads but I'll put them on and try them in hopes that they'll retain the attributes we all like about the stock pads and lose the ones we can live without, namely the brake dust.

Last edited by avgj0F; 03-19-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 07:55 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avgj0F
I usually don't like aftermarket brakes. I thought I can live with the dusts but the amount of dust is just insane for less than a week of driving. I found a good reliable shop here in LA that charges very little for installing pads and I may switch.

Please keep us update when you can.
I just got the pads in today, but I'm headed out of town for a business trip so I won't get to install them for at least another week. I'll update this as soon as I do.
Old 03-20-10, 01:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I just got the pads in today, but I'm headed out of town for a business trip so I won't get to install them for at least another week. I'll update this as soon as I do.
How much did the Project Mu's set you back??

I am shopping around for pads right now and I found the Carbotechs Bobcat Fronts for $157 and the Rears for $140 ($297 Total)

Joe Z
Old 03-21-10, 08:48 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

The local shop I go to quoted Project Mu Street Sport slighly less than $260 / $200 for front / rear, respectively.

Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads last 2-3 times longer than OE and extend rotor life 2-3 times greater than stock. Too good to be true?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
How much did the Project Mu's set you back??

I am shopping around for pads right now and I found the Carbotechs Bobcat Fronts for $157 and the Rears for $140 ($297 Total)

Joe Z
Old 03-28-10, 12:08 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

I was able to have these pads (front and rear) installed last week Saturday night before I left on my trip. I bedded the new pads in and had my wife drive the car for the week I was out of town.

After driving the car in a mix of stop and go as well as free way driving for 150 + miles my initial impressions are:

These pads allow for easier modulatation of the brakes when compared to the OE pads. Stops are linear and progressive and mtach the amount of effort being applied to the brake pedal. While I did like the intial bite/stopping power of the OE pads, they were a bit too "grabby" for me. Brake modulation is one of the issues mentioned by a couple magazines when driving the IS F on a road course.

The Project Mu pads are very quiet compared to OE pads as well and have not emitted any noise in the week my wife used it to go to San Diego from LA on business and around town or in the 150 + miles I've driven the car. The OE pads would emit an annoying noise periodically when braking.

The part that a lot of you are interested in is of course the reduction in pad dust on the wheels. I'm happy to report that the dust on the front wheels have been reduced by as much as 80% and they are barely noticeable on the rears. With the OE pads I washed my wheels as much as 3 times a week (my neighbors think I wash my car a lot because I'm always out there with a hose, and a bucket).

Overall I'm happy with them thus far and I'll update my findings as I put more miles on them. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

These pads were purchased from MVP Motorsports, please PM Robert (Chops@MVP) for pricing on them. He was a pleasure to deal with and the purchase was as painless as one could hope for.

Compound: Type NS (Street Pad)

Front Pad PN: PSF160 - MSRP $303

Rear Pad PN: PSR106 - MSRP $219
Old 03-29-10, 12:00 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Did you replace the rotors too?

Thanks for the review.

I was able to have these pads (front and rear) installed last week Saturday night before I left on my trip. I bedded the new pads in and had my wife drive the car for the week I was out of town.

After driving the car in a mix of stop and go as well as free way driving for 150 + miles my initial impressions are:

These pads allow for easier modulatation of the brakes when compared to the OE pads. Stops are linear and progressive and mtach the amount of effort being applied to the brake pedal. While I did like the intial bite/stopping power of the OE pads, they were a bit too "grabby" for me. Brake modulation is one of the issues mentioned by a couple magazines when driving the IS F on a road course.

The Project Mu pads are very quiet compared to OE pads as well and have not emitted any noise in the week my wife used it to go to San Diego from LA on business and around town or in the 150 + miles I've driven the car. The OE pads would emit an annoying noise periodically when braking.

The part that a lot of you are interested in is of course the reduction in pad dust on the wheels. I'm happy to report that the dust on the front wheels have been reduced by as much as 80% and they are barely noticeable on the rears. With the OE pads I washed my wheels as much as 3 times a week (my neighbors think I wash my car a lot because I'm always out there with a hose, and a bucket).

Overall I'm happy with them thus far and I'll update my findings as I put more miles on them. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

These pads were purchased from MVP Motorsports, please PM Robert (Chops@MVP) for pricing on them. He was a pleasure to deal with and the purchase was as painless as one could hope for.

Compound: Type NS (Street Pad)

Front Pad PN: PSF160 - MSRP $303

Rear Pad PN: PSR106 - MSRP $219
Old 03-29-10, 07:29 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Did you replace the rotors too?

Thanks for the review.
I didn't replace my rotors, just the front and rear pads. I'll probably have to change rotors the next time around though.
Old 03-29-10, 11:15 AM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review N54MPower, pleasure doing business with you!! Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!

Regards,
Robert
Old 03-31-10, 05:48 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Thanks N54MPower for your input and to Chops@MVP (Robert) for hooking me up with a set of front pads.
Pleasure talking to you, D., and a pleasure doing business with you Robert.

Cheers,
Colin.
Old 04-01-10, 08:53 AM
Chops@MVP
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you sir! Always glad to help a fellow Lexus owner .

Regards,
Robert
Old 04-07-10, 05:34 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Default Update!

I just drove 140 miles round trip including stop and go traffic on the 101 in Hollywood. Looked at the wheels when I got home and smiled at the lack of brake dust on the wheels.

In the two weeks since these pads have been on the car I have not had to wash my wheels at all, apart from my normal wash every week. Even then there was minimal dust.
Old 04-07-10, 06:08 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

I just drove 140 miles round trip including stop and go traffic on the 101 in Hollywood. Looked at the wheels when I got home and smiled at the lack of brake dust on the wheels.

In the two weeks since these pads have been on the car I have not had to wash my wheels at all, apart from my normal wash every week. Even then there was minimal dust.
That's music to my ears (and eyes)....

Mine will be installed as soon as they arrive.

C.
Old 06-17-10, 12:02 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Hi Daryl,

Any other updates to give after 2 more months???

It's time for me to get some new pads...

Thanks
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-17-10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 12:41 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hi Daryl,

Any other updates to give after 2 more months???

It's time for me to get some new pads...

Thanks
Joe Z
Joe,

As a matter of fact I do. I've put over 1K on the pads and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They stop like a champ with excellent bite and no fade even after repeated stops from 120 mph. I'm also happy to report that the brake dust experienced with the stock pads is all but a distant memory and when you do get dust it's not the heavy black type found on the stock pads.

The only thing I noticed was some pad build up from a lot of stop and go driving which was easily remedied with a couple stops from 60-5 mph and back up to 60 and repeating the procedure (essentially a mini pad break in procedure). Let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Project Mu Pads