Print Wikipost

$50 Ticket for 6k HID headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 12:21 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun
Listen to this man, and stop justifying your hyper blue/ice white/diamond crystal kelvin obsession.

Anything, I repeat anything above 4300k is aftermarket and therefore illegal. It's the risk you take when you play roulette!

Now imagine if the cop had seen this flickering at him!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...ml#post5326809
I believe there are some manufacturer that uses 5000k bulbs.. Look at some of the new Acuras.... I swear they look alot more blue than the oem 4300k bulbs...
Old 03-19-10, 12:24 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
I believe there are some manufacturer that uses 5000k bulbs.. Look at some of the new Acuras.... I swear they look alot more blue than the oem 4300k bulbs...
Never has any car sold in the US had a higher kelvin degree than 4300k except for a small batch of Osram Xenstar 5400k bulb which is a legal pure white color..

What you are seeing is the color in the cutoff, not the actual light output.

Last edited by emoshun; 03-19-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 12:25 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Oh,, one more thing,, dunno if you guys were into hooking up civics or not back in the Fast and Furious crazy days.. but cops sweared it was sooooo illegal to have clear taillights back then and giving tickets left and right for them.... but you know what??? its abolutely legal when its oem clear taillights like the Lexus Rx..... I love this country.... I got pulled over and ticketed for led nozzle lights cause it was a distraction but funny thing is when I was getting a ticket,, A tractor trailer with a gazillion led lights on its trailer flew by and I pointed at it,, cop said,, "thats a safety reason,, the trailer needs to be seen clearly by others" I gave up since then.... this country is just like China.... Money Talks BS Walks......
Old 03-19-10, 12:29 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emoshun
Never has any car sold in the US had a higher kelvin degree than 4300k except for a small batch of Osrams.

What you are seeing is the color in the cutoff, not the actual light output.

Oh and another thing that I forgot to mention,, if its so illegal to have 6k on the road. Why the heck are they so readily available everywhere... Why dont they sell AK-47 at Shoprite and Walmart then?? or even better,, sell weed at Mcdonalds.... Another reason why i love this country.... lol Speed limit is 75mph max at any part of the country,, then manufacture cars to go only up to 80mph,,, thats plenty fast....

Last edited by IS-Fly168; 03-19-10 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 12:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh and another thing that I forgot to mention,, if its so illegal to have 6k on the road. Why the heck are they so readily available everywhere... Why dont they sell AK-47 at Shoprite and Walmart then?? or even better,, sell weed at Mcdonalds.... Another reason why i love this country.... lol Speed limit is 75mph max at any part of the country,, then manufacture cars to go only up to 80mph,,, thats plenty fast....
Simple, it is sold for OFF-ROAD USE. Just like illegal exhaust systems and other modifications are sold as OFF-ROAD USE ONLY items.

There is so much ignorance in this thread right now.

Plain and simple, those who believe 6000k is white, go ahead and believe it, just don't spread it as truth and further the misinformation.

I've provided a kelvin temperature scale for reference. Disclaimer, don't click the link if you still want to be misinformed.
Old 03-20-10, 03:32 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Oh,, so for weed and other drugs, just put a sticker on it and say "Not for Public Use" and its gonna be fine right? Or maybe add another sticker,,, Use at own risk.
I think 4300k hid lights are annoying too.. just cause its not as blue and closer to the color of the sunlight it doesnt mean its not eye blinding... look at how annoying the sunlight is at around 4pm everyday on the expressway... Lexus has the 4300k hid bulbs but they also have the blue tinted headlights also,, what does that do?? alters the K temp of the headlight output,, shouldnt that be illegal? its not 4300k anymore... I think the led taillights in the LFA is too bright and annoying too,, why is that still legal? it bothers my eyes just like how 6000k hid bother "everyones" vision......
Old 03-21-10, 03:27 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm generally a fan of our law enforcement service in my area (DC/NoVA/MD). That said, when the county is in need of revenue, keep your modded car on the down-low.

I've been pinched for tint and exhaust multiple times.
Old 03-21-10, 06:38 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Default You are right on the money!

[QUOTE=G Star;5327519]Simple, it is sold for OFF-ROAD USE. Just like illegal exhaust systems and other modifications are sold as OFF-ROAD USE ONLY items.

There is so much ignorance in this thread right now.

Plain and simple, those who believe 6000k is white, go ahead and believe it, just don't spread it as truth and further the misinformation.

Couldn't agree more! What some are failing to see here is you are BLINDING other drivers with these lights! If the housing is not designed for a HID light it will scatter the light and blind the oncoming vehicles to death! Just because you think it's cool does NOT make it legal. The Motor Vehicle Code in Pa AKA "Title 75" is VERY clear! No lighting without an FMVSS rating may be used for "On Road Purposes". If it has NOT been certified it is NOT legal. This is not some "hot shoes" trying to take your money!, you signed up for this when you installed the bulbs in your fogs, which I would bet with 95% certainty came with a piece of paper which said "For off road use only!" You gambled, and you lost... Now be a man, accept your consequences, and deal with it. Same people that require McDonald's to label my coffee with soooooooooo much writing I can't tell if I have decaf or not anymore!...lol..
Old 03-21-10, 06:53 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ming15237
Couldn't agree more! What some are failing to see here is you are BLINDING other drivers with these lights! If the housing is not designed for a HID light it will scatter the light and blind the oncoming vehicles to death! Just because you think it's cool does NOT make it legal. The Motor Vehicle Code in Pa AKA "Title 75" is VERY clear! No lighting without an FMVSS rating may be used for "On Road Purposes". If it has NOT been certified it is NOT legal. This is not some "hot shoes" trying to take your money!, you signed up for this when you installed the bulbs in your fogs, which I would bet with 95% certainty came with a piece of paper which said "For off road use only!" You gambled, and you lost... Now be a man, accept your consequences, and deal with it. Same people that require McDonald's to label my coffee with soooooooooo much writing I can't tell if I have decaf or not anymore!...lol..
LOL - I think you're letting indignation get in the way of facts. The OP replaced his HID 4300K bulb with a 6000K bulb, which is actually less bright than stock. If he wasn't blinding anyone with his stock HID lights, he sure wasn't doing it with an aftermarket 6000K bulb. It does have a more blueish hue, though, which is what caught the cop's eye.

I didn't get the impression that the OP isn't "manning-up", but rather expressing his frustration that he gets pulled over for something so trivial. Usually cops in this area will only ticket aftermarket items if you get pulled over for something more serious. It's rare to get pulled just because of headlights.
Old 03-21-10, 08:48 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

heres a pic of stock and hid 6000
i like the blue look a lot on the fogs, but I do honestly think its too bright and will change back to the stock bulbs
there is no denying that 6000 contains a touch of blue

but now that i got my aerotect fog overlays in optical blue
I believe it may alter the stock in a good way
instead of making the current 6000 even more blue

if anyone wants to buy some 6000k hid h11 fogs
pm me
50.00 sounds fair
but im negotiable
ive used them for no more then 15 min and they have been installed for about 6 days
Attached Thumbnails  Ticket for 6k HID headlights??-img_0409.jpg  
Old 03-21-10, 10:10 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=montgb;5331687]LOL - I think you're letting indignation get in the way of facts. The OP replaced his HID 4300K bulb with a 6000K bulb, which is actually less bright than stock. If he wasn't blinding anyone with his stock HID lights, he sure wasn't doing it with an aftermarket 6000K bulb. It does have a more blueish hue, though, which is what caught the cop's eye.

I think you are getting confused buy your own confusion. He got pulled over for improper equipment. He installed aftermarket bulbs of a different Kelvin range than stock. EVERY auto manufacturer in the world uses 4300K bulbs, there is a noticeable difference between the two. He gambled, and he lost, don't whine when you knew it was wrong in the first place! Second he knew it was wrong or he wouldn't have lied to the officer when he was pulled over! Remember "They are stock"??? Can he be arrested for this? No, not in PA at least, but he can and will be cited.
Old 03-21-10, 11:31 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

I think you are getting confused buy your own confusion.
Yes, that must be it.

He got pulled over for improper equipment. He installed aftermarket bulbs of a different Kelvin range than stock. EVERY auto manufacturer in the world uses 4300K bulbs, there is a noticeable difference between the two. He gambled, and he lost, don't whine when you knew it was wrong in the first place! Second he knew it was wrong or he wouldn't have lied to the officer when he was pulled over! Remember "They are stock"??? Can he be arrested for this? No, not in PA at least, but he can and will be cited.
In your earlier post, you decried the 6000K HID bulb because "you are BLINDING other drivers with these lights!", followed by a description of the HID light scattering in a housing not made for it.

I was just pointing out that this argument doesn't make sense because 1) a 6000K bulb is actually less "blinding" than a 4300K bulb and 2) the OP was not retrofitting a HID bulb into a non-HID housing.

I think everyone knows they run the risk of getting pulled over for aftermarket parts, but getting pulled for a 6000K bulb is frivolous at best.
Old 03-21-10, 12:01 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montgb
Yes, that must be it.

In your earlier post, you decried the 6000K HID bulb because "you are BLINDING other drivers with these lights!", followed by a description of the HID light scattering in a housing not made for it.

I was just pointing out that this argument doesn't make sense because 1) a 6000K bulb is actually less "blinding" than a 4300K bulb and 2) the OP was not retrofitting a HID bulb into a non-HID housing.

I think everyone knows they run the risk of getting pulled over for aftermarket parts, but getting pulled for a 6000K bulb is frivolous at best.

Again, I say the law is clear, as is the paperwork which comes with the bulbs, saying.... "For Off Road Use ONLY" The color is an obvious distraction to the eye, yes, they emit less light on the road, however, they are VERY distracting and dangerous to other drivers they cause a "glaring light". As frivolous as you may feel this is, it is AGAINST the law.
Old 03-21-10, 12:09 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montgb
Yes, that must be it.

Hmmm,, I totally agree with you... sorry if I didnt explain clearly,, It all comes down to this..... Who decides that 6000k is illegal, why is it illegal? Seriously,, so what if the headlight is more blue than the stock 4300k??? why is it soooo illegal that you deserve a ticket for headlights that are a tad more blue than the stock 4300k... I mean,, in direct comparison,, hid even at 4300k are more blue than the regular halogen bulbs in general,, does that make it illegal? you get what im saying?? Just cause its oem from the manufacturer,, its legal now??? just like how I was stating in my previous post,, clear taillights on a honda civic is so "illegal" but yet, its absolutely street legal when the Lexus Rx 330 came out with the clear taillights... And just like I stated,, just cause it has a "for off road use only" does that really make it right for the vendors to sell it?? thats why I bought up the point of putting the same sticker to sell on drugs.. Im not trying to be ignorant,, just trying to prove a point.. Cocaine is illegal, thats why its not readily available at the supermarket... then why is it that they are selling these 6k or 8k or even 30k hid bulbs on the internet??? Do you see cocaine by the pounds on ebay??? I havent been ticketed for hid headlights or fogs, knock on wood, but I just really cant stand how the cops can have so much power to threaten a citizen, to put him in jail, over 6k headlights...... I totally agree with the OP,, I feel his fustration...
Old 03-21-10, 01:16 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

It all comes down to this..... Who decides that 6000k is illegal, why is it illegal? Seriously,, so what if the headlight is more blue than the stock 4300k??? why is it soooo illegal that you deserve a ticket for headlights that are a tad more blue than the stock 4300k...
Good point. I believe that the law is gray in this regard. For example, when I was pulled over my exhaust, the cop actually made me read the violation code (because I argued with him ). It basically stated that my exhaust did not conform to OEM standards, which is what most "improper equipment" citations are based on.

"Improper equipment" is a pretty broad brush that traffic cops can paint with, and most of us would rather pay the small fine than deal with the inconvenience of court. This fact is not lost on the State when more revenue is needed.

Quick Reply: $50 Ticket for 6k HID headlights??