IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Failed Inspection.....???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 02:43 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
Mitch this is doable, what you need to do is simply get the evap monitors to set, as per the Texas site you are allowed to have one monitor not set, when I get to the shop I will post the process to set that monitor. The car should then pass emissions testing.
Any Luck Ming?
Old 09-06-11, 05:50 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Any Luck Ming?
READINESS MONITOR DRIVE PATTERN

1. PURPOSE OF READINESS TESTS

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD II) system is designed to monitor the performance of emission related components, and indicate any detected abnormalities using DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Since various components need to be monitored during different driving conditions, the OBD II system is designed to run separate monitoring programs called Readiness Monitors.
To view the status, enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Monitor / Status2.
When the status of a Readiness Monitor reads Complete, the necessary conditions have been met for running the performance tests for that Readiness Monitor.
A generic OBD II scan tool can also be used to view the Readiness Monitor status.

HINT:

Many state Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) programs require the status of vehicle Readiness Monitors to show Complete before beginning emission tests.

The Readiness Monitors will be reset to Incomplete if:

The ECM has lost battery power or blown a fuse.
DTCs have been cleared.
The conditions for running the Readiness Monitor have not been met.

If a Readiness Monitor status shows Incomplete, follow the appropriate Readiness Monitor Drive Pattern to change the status to Complete.

CAUTION:

Strictly observe posted speed limits, traffic laws, and road conditions when performing these drive patterns.

NOTICE:

These drive patterns represent the fastest method of satisfying all conditions necessary to achieve complete status for each specific Readiness Monitor.

In the event of a drive pattern being interrupted (possibly due to factors such as traffic conditions), the drive pattern can be resumed. In most cases, the Readiness Monitor will still achieve complete status upon completion of the drive pattern.

To ensure completion of the Readiness Monitors, avoid sudden changes in vehicle load and speed (driving up and down hills and/or sudden acceleration).

2. CATALYST MONITOR (ACTIVE AIR-FUEL RATIO CONTROL TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The monitor will not run unless:

The MIL is OFF.

(b) Drive Pattern

(1) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(2) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(3) Turn the Techstream ON.

(4) Clear DTCs (if set) 2UR-GSE ENGINE CONTROL: SFI SYSTEM: DTC CHECK / CLEAR (2008 IS F) .

(5) Start the engine and warm it up.

(6) Drive the vehicle at between 50 mph and 80 mph (80 km/h and 128 km/h) for at least 10 minutes.

(c) Monitor Status

Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Techstream.

If the status does not switch to Complete, extend the driving time.

3. EVAP SYSTEM MONITOR (KEY OFF TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The fuel tank is less than 90% full.
The altitude is less than 8000 ft (2450 m).
The vehicle is stationary.
The engine coolant temperature is between 4.4°C and 35°C (40°F and 95°F).
The intake air temperature is between 4.4°C and 35°C (40°F and 95°F).
Vehicle was driven in the city area (or on free-way) for 10 minutes or more.

(b) Monitor Conditions

(1) Turn the engine switch off and wait for 10.5 hours.

HINT:

Do not start the engine until checking Readiness Monitor status. If the engine is started, the step described above must be repeated.

(c) Monitor Status

(4) Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Techstream.

If the status does not switch to Complete, restart the engine, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform the Monitor Conditions again.

4. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) AND HEATED OXYGEN (HO2) SENSOR MONITORS (ACTIVE AIR-FUEL RATIO CONTROL TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

2 minutes or more have elapsed since the engine was started.
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is 75°C (167°F) or more.
Cumulative driving time at a vehicle speed of 30 mph (48 km/h) or more exceeds 6 minutes.
Air-fuel ratio feedback control is performed.

(b) Drive Pattern for front air fuel ratio sensor and heated oxygen sensor

(4) Clear DTCs 2UR-GSE ENGINE CONTROL: SFI SYSTEM: DTC CHECK / CLEAR (2008 IS F) .

(5) Start the engine, and warm it up until the engine coolant temperature reaches 75°C (167°F).

(6) Drive the vehicle at between 50 mph (80 km/h) and 80 mph (128 km/h) for at least 10 minutes.

(7) Change the transmission to 2nd gear.

(8) Accelerate the vehicle to 40 mph (64 km/h) or more by depressing the accelerator pedal for at least 10 seconds.

(9) Soon after performing step (8) above, release the accelerator pedal for at least 9 seconds without depressing the brake pedal, in order to execute fuel-cut control.

(10) Allow the vehicle to decelerate until the vehicle speed declines to less than 6 mph (10 km/h).

(11) Repeat steps from (8) through (10) above at least 3 times in one driving cycle.

(c) Monitor Status

(1) Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Techstream.

(2) If the status does not switch to Complete, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform steps from (5) through (11) in Drive Pattern above.

5. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) AND HEATED OXYGEN (HO2) SENSOR HEATER MONITORS (FRONT AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR AND REAR HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The MIL is OFF.

(b) Drive Pattern

(4) Clear DTCs (if set) 2UR-GSE ENGINE CONTROL: SFI SYSTEM: DTC CHECK / CLEAR (2008 IS F) .

(5) Start the engine.

(6) Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes or more.

(7) Drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) or more for at least 2 minutes.

(c) Monitor Status

If the status does not switch to Complete, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and repeat steps (5) to (7) described in the Drive Pattern above.

Simply be concerned about #3 on the the list Mitch. Sorry about the tardiness of my response Mitch, but today was one hell of a day...

Last edited by ming15237; 09-06-11 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 06:22 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
READINESS MONITOR DRIVE PATTERN

1. PURPOSE OF READINESS TESTS

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD II) system is designed to monitor the performance of emission related components, and indicate any detected abnormalities using DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Since various components need to be monitored during different driving conditions, the OBD II system is designed to run separate monitoring programs called Readiness Monitors.
To view the status, enter the following menus: Powertrain / Engine / Monitor / Status2.
When the status of a Readiness Monitor reads Complete, the necessary conditions have been met for running the performance tests for that Readiness Monitor.
A generic OBD II scan tool can also be used to view the Readiness Monitor status.

HINT:

Many state Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) programs require the status of vehicle Readiness Monitors to show Complete before beginning emission tests.

The Readiness Monitors will be reset to Incomplete if:

The ECM has lost battery power or blown a fuse.
DTCs have been cleared.
The conditions for running the Readiness Monitor have not been met.

If a Readiness Monitor status shows Incomplete, follow the appropriate Readiness Monitor Drive Pattern to change the status to Complete.

CAUTION:

Strictly observe posted speed limits, traffic laws, and road conditions when performing these drive patterns.

NOTICE:

These drive patterns represent the fastest method of satisfying all conditions necessary to achieve complete status for each specific Readiness Monitor.

In the event of a drive pattern being interrupted (possibly due to factors such as traffic conditions), the drive pattern can be resumed. In most cases, the Readiness Monitor will still achieve complete status upon completion of the drive pattern.

To ensure completion of the Readiness Monitors, avoid sudden changes in vehicle load and speed (driving up and down hills and/or sudden acceleration).

2. CATALYST MONITOR (ACTIVE AIR-FUEL RATIO CONTROL TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The MIL is OFF.

(b) Drive Pattern

(5) Start the engine and warm it up.

(6) Drive the vehicle at between 50 mph and 80 mph (80 km/h and 128 km/h) for at least 10 minutes.

(c) Monitor Status

Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Techstream.

If the status does not switch to Complete, extend the driving time.

3. EVAP SYSTEM MONITOR (KEY OFF TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The fuel tank is less than 90% full.
The altitude is less than 8000 ft (2450 m).
The vehicle is stationary.
The engine coolant temperature is between 4.4°C and 35°C (40°F and 95°F).
The intake air temperature is between 4.4°C and 35°C (40°F and 95°F).
Vehicle was driven in the city area (or on free-way) for 10 minutes or more.

(b) Monitor Conditions

(1) Turn the engine switch off and wait for 10.5 hours.

HINT:

Do not start the engine until checking Readiness Monitor status. If the engine is started, the step described above must be repeated.

(c) Monitor Status

(4) Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Techstream.

If the status does not switch to Complete, restart the engine, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform the Monitor Conditions again.

4. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) AND HEATED OXYGEN (HO2) SENSOR MONITORS (ACTIVE AIR-FUEL RATIO CONTROL TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

2 minutes or more have elapsed since the engine was started.
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is 75°C (167°F) or more.
Cumulative driving time at a vehicle speed of 30 mph (48 km/h) or more exceeds 6 minutes.
Air-fuel ratio feedback control is performed.

(b) Drive Pattern for front air fuel ratio sensor and heated oxygen sensor

(4) Clear DTCs 2UR-GSE ENGINE CONTROL: SFI SYSTEM: DTC CHECK / CLEAR (2008 IS F) .

(5) Start the engine, and warm it up until the engine coolant temperature reaches 75°C (167°F).

(6) Drive the vehicle at between 50 mph (80 km/h) and 80 mph (128 km/h) for at least 10 minutes.

(7) Change the transmission to 2nd gear.

(8) Accelerate the vehicle to 40 mph (64 km/h) or more by depressing the accelerator pedal for at least 10 seconds.

(9) Soon after performing step (8) above, release the accelerator pedal for at least 9 seconds without depressing the brake pedal, in order to execute fuel-cut control.

(10) Allow the vehicle to decelerate until the vehicle speed declines to less than 6 mph (10 km/h).

(11) Repeat steps from (8) through (10) above at least 3 times in one driving cycle.

(c) Monitor Status

(2) If the status does not switch to Complete, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform steps from (5) through (11) in Drive Pattern above.

5. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) AND HEATED OXYGEN (HO2) SENSOR HEATER MONITORS (FRONT AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR AND REAR HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR TYPE)

(a) Preconditions

The MIL is OFF.

(b) Drive Pattern

(5) Start the engine.

(6) Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes or more.

(7) Drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) or more for at least 2 minutes.

(c) Monitor Status

If the status does not switch to Complete, make sure that the preconditions have been met, and repeat steps (5) to (7) described in the Drive Pattern above.

Simply be concerned about #3 on the the list Mitch. Sorry about the tardiness of my response Mitch, but today was one hell of a day...
Thank you Ming, But to clarify #3 I cant drive the car for 10.5 hours...? I don't have a techstream so this could be tricky. How does the average guy do this? I'm thinking after reading this I know why it failed. I sat for almost 1 hour before they changed my oil then told me to start my car. My car was not running for more than 2 min and the state obdII plug in was already connected and it failed that quick. It sounds like maybe the car was not up to temp or did not run long enough before testing. Maybe that's why the sensors were not ready?
Old 09-07-11, 08:07 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitch08ISF
Thank you Ming, But to clarify #3 I cant drive the car for 10.5 hours...? I don't have a techstream so this could be tricky. How does the average guy do this? I'm thinking after reading this I know why it failed. I sat for almost 1 hour before they changed my oil then told me to start my car. My car was not running for more than 2 min and the state obdII plug in was already connected and it failed that quick. It sounds like maybe the car was not up to temp or did not run long enough before testing. Maybe that's why the sensors were not ready?
Mitch check your pm
Old 09-07-11, 06:07 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like your sikky o2 sim failed or you have a bad front o2 sensor
Old 09-08-11, 07:40 AM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by darbs242
sounds like your sikky o2 sim failed or you have a bad front o2 sensor
wouldn't that bad sensor cause a cel?? It will be a couple weeks before I can try to re inspect. I had a trailer back into my bumper yesterday at a stop light so the F will be getting super cleaned up in the shop.
Old 09-14-11, 05:46 PM
BigJoeTX
Driver School Candidate

First Post.

I've been lurking at this site for a while because I'm seriously considering buying an ISF, I don't own one yet though.

I do however own a 2001 Ford Mustang GT, I lived in Galveston County, adjacent to Houston, so I had to have the same inspection and I failed it last year in the exact same manner that you did.

I'm not sure what effect the O2 sim is having on your system, I've never used one before, but I'm 99% sure if it was causing a malfunction it would activate your MIL and the guy wouldn't have even tried to run the scan with your light on, he would've told you "get it fixed".

Leading up to me failing the inspection, I was getting an OBDII code for a "major evaporative fuel leak" because the gasket was worn out around my fuel tank filler neck. Mustangs are notorious for this. I actually drove around with my car leaking fuel every time I filled it up for almost two years because I lived in Brazos County, where we didn't have to get the OBDII test. When I moved to Galveston County, I knew I had to fix the problem, so, I fixed it, then reset the codes with my OBDII scanner (it is well worth the investment, save yourself the trouble of wondering if you're going to pass and buy one). I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan.../dp/B001LHW9YG

As soon as I fixed it, I took it straight to the inspection station since I was already going on almost a month late.

I failed. For the exact same reason you did, my O2 and a few other sensors were "not ready".

This really isn't a big deal. I know you're worried about it because you deleted your cats, but it is easily solved by driving around for a few hundred miles.

The other question would be, why were these systems "not ready"? Did you do work on your car recently the required the battery to be unhooked for a while? Or was your MIL light on before the inspection and you had someone fix the problem the reset the codes? Those are almost the only two things that would make these devices show as a "not ready".

I don't think the OBDII system would allow a "not ready" status to stick for long, like I said, a few hundred miles tops, then if the device was still having a problem it would turn on the MIL and throw an error code. You would've almost certainly had to have lost power or someone manually reset the codes not long before you went to inspection.

In either case, and assuming the O2 sim isn't doing something weird that I'm not understanding, you could go back to the inspection station after a couple hundred miles (a tank of gas is a good indicator), and the devices will be ready and you will pass without a problem.

And buy an OBDII reader! They actually will tell when the devices are ready so you don't have to guess.