IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Front Plate No Drill Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 08:50 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISF Front Plate No Drill Question?

I finally recieve my license plate from CA DMV and was wondering if there were any alternative's to a front plate without drilling. I've seen the GrimmSpeed online for about $70 but is there any others?
Old 01-16-12, 03:51 AM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I have a Hide A Plate mount which mounts from underneath and it can flip down and underneath out of sight or pulled out and flipped up which is nice as it is more tucked down and lower on the front end. They had a mechanical version that I wish I would had bought instead of the manual one that I would have connected to activating it upon starting the car but also came with a remote as well. Works great and it sure beats drilling and mounting into the bumper.
Old 01-16-12, 12:51 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I had the Hide-a-plate mount and had it installed underneath my front bumper. The only downside is gives you less ground clearance, meaning you'll be scraping immensely up/down driveways, speed bumps, and so forth. It does its job well, and keeps you from having to drill holes on the bumper. I like the idea of it magically appearing from the lower grille, but when I purchased mine, I wasn't keen on cutting the grille to house the mount. It did save me from many scrapes underneath my bumper, too- just in case you were thinking of installing it there.
Old 01-16-12, 02:33 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I had the Hide-a-plate mount and had it installed underneath my front bumper. The only downside is gives you less ground clearance, meaning you'll be scraping immensely up/down driveways, speed bumps, and so forth. It does its job well, and keeps you from having to drill holes on the bumper. I like the idea of it magically appearing from the lower grille, but when I purchased mine, I wasn't keen on cutting the grille to house the mount. It did save me from many scrapes underneath my bumper, too- just in case you were thinking of installing it there.
You need to be a little more careful but it is only about 1/2 inch less clearance in the middle. I have not found any alternative that works better. I have had mine for a year and a half.
Old 01-16-12, 03:46 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Very true. There's no drilling or use of the front tow mount (RHO plate mount), so it is the best choice. It was just a PITA getting up my driveway. Speed bumps I could live with, but in and out of my home was much steeper. Did you drill holes underneath your bumper for added structure?
Old 01-16-12, 03:57 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

This is a nice find ! I have been looking for a plate holder alternative. The motorized one is pretty slick. So even with stock height this will scrape? Where would the best install location be? I was thinking one of the corners.

Last edited by spddemon; 01-16-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 04:08 PM
djhydro
Driver

I live in NY where it's required to have the front plate.. I purchased my motorized hideout plate now almost 8 months ago and have yet to install it.. I'm always worried about how it would just look funny since it doesn't sit flush and also worry how in snow it may just rip off... But I need to put one on soon.. Usually in the city I go ghetto and tape it in front with a masking tape lol.. it works okay.
Old 01-16-12, 05:39 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ziptie mines to the front bottom grille. make sure to put something behind the plate so it doesn't scratch your bumper.
Old 01-16-12, 06:15 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I did drill holes in the plastic and went through the underside of the bumper plastic along with the black aero cover underneath for the rear. I used a spacer on the aero cover under the engine so the frame it glides on was level. I used nuts on the upper side rather than screws that will not hold up to the buffeting of the wind. I mounted it in such a way that when it is flipped up (plate showing) it is perfectly flush and against the lower bumper. It looks perfect and seems to be mounted to the bumper so it does not look strange at all. In fact, the position when flipped up allows good air flow through the lower grill. When I go to shows etc., I just turn it under the car. Can't even tell it is there.
Old 01-16-12, 07:44 PM
djhydro
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFSteve
I did drill holes in the plastic and went through the underside of the bumper plastic along with the black aero cover underneath for the rear. I used a spacer on the aero cover under the engine so the frame it glides on was level. I used nuts on the upper side rather than screws that will not hold up to the buffeting of the wind. I mounted it in such a way that when it is flipped up (plate showing) it is perfectly flush and against the lower bumper. It looks perfect and seems to be mounted to the bumper so it does not look strange at all. In fact, the position when flipped up allows good air flow through the lower grill. When I go to shows etc., I just turn it under the car. Can't even tell it is there.
Got pics? I would like to see it how it looks..
Old 01-16-12, 08:06 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

I do not as all my pictures were all taken with it down and underneath. I will be out of town the rest of the week or I would take pictures of it. What I did was centered it on the car as off to the side just didn't appeal to me. I flipped it up right with the plate on it, then held it against the bumper while marking the holes. I have scrapped it a couple times on real bad transitions in and out of a steep driveway and while going slow, it has help up very well. If anyone is interested, I may be able to email a couple photos over the weekend. My personal tastes are that it looks far better mounted down low than in the middle of the bumper.
Old 01-16-12, 08:17 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

On every car I've owned (here in CA) I've had a front plate.

But on the ISF I don't have one and (it's a recent purchase) once I get my plates I don't intend to put the front one on.

I had a cop this morning drive behind me (no rear plate with temp registration on the front window) and just sail by. I bought the car with dark front tinted window so I figure I'll just wait and get nailed by everything at once (plate and windows). Once you get popped here they usually just report everything.

On my Z ages ago I just put the front plate in the passenger front window. It didn't stop me from getting pulled over (it never happened) but it was at least there. Do that if nothing else.
Old 01-16-12, 09:28 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

I use this:

http://www.gominigo.com/Lexus.html

It's amazing and looks good.
Old 01-16-12, 09:55 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFSteve
I have a Hide A Plate mount which mounts from underneath and it can flip down and underneath out of sight or pulled out and flipped up which is nice as it is more tucked down and lower on the front end. They had a mechanical version that I wish I would had bought instead of the manual one that I would have connected to activating it upon starting the car but also came with a remote as well. Works great and it sure beats drilling and mounting into the bumper.
How much are they?
Old 01-16-12, 09:57 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Gominigo http://www.gominigo.com/Lexus.html or GrimmSpeed online http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=237

Which one you guys thing is better?

Quick Reply: ISF Front Plate No Drill Question?