IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weekend install complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 05:21 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Weekend install complete

A while back I picked up the Branew lip kit CrazyMPG was selling. I finally was able to have time to install it this weekend. I documented some of the install as the only way to really correctly install it was to remove the front bumper and side skirts from the car since the kit doesn't use factory mounting points except at the end of the front and rear bumper.

The install wasn't terribly difficult just more so time consuming due to having to remove the front bumper and sides. The kit also is rather hard to fit with the ISSForged exhaust because it goes into the exhaust openings on the bumper and thus makes them a little smaller. I fixed this problem a little by switching out so some different size rubber exhaust hangers in order to move the exhaust around in the opening a bit.

I am still working on fitting the rear piece in a final position as the original install they used pop rivets that were hidden but I don't really want to drill those holes in the bumper because they would not be 100% hidden when I would eventually remove the kit.

Well onto the install and pics.

New slightly smaller rubber exhaust hangers.

This spot on the rear lip mounts to the bolt right before the wheel arch in the picture below. Those bolts one on each side are technically the only thing holding the rear lip on. It does however fit tightly around the exhaust as well so it is pretty much permanently held on. Once I get a few more things figured out I will then attach it with 3m body tape as well. Hopefully till then it will stay on safely.

Rear lip on and car up on ramps and boards to give a slight increase in clearance to complete the rest of the install.

I chose all stainless steel hardware to bolt in on with. I got nylon locking nuts as to help prevent the need to ever have to retighten anything since I would have to remove it from the car first which would be a pain.

Front wheel arch remove top bolt

Remove 2 bolts and 1 clip here.

Rear wheel arch remove single bolt on side skirt

Remove clip from flap

Remove bolt from flap

Remove 7 clips on underside of sideskirt

Remove 2 screws under weather stripping one at front and one at back. The front ones were rather a pain because I could not get in a position to be able to see into it so as to line up the screw driver.

Side skirts finally off

Now on to removing the front bumper. There are 9 clips on the top panel.

Below that there are 3 bolts. 1 on each side and one in the middle.

I forgot to grab pictures but there are two plastic clips inside each wheel arch and then one screw which you have to pry the fender liner out first to access at the top corner of the bumper. Then there are 8 bolts to be removed on the bottom side of the bumper. Once are of that is out carefully pull the bumper out of the clips underneath the side and inner corner of each headlight.

You will either need someone to hold the bumper or or lay it down at an angle and quickly disconnect the fog light wires so as not to put strain on them. Also need to disconnect the harness that is for the headlight washers and parking sensors.

Lastly make sure you have something to clamp the hose from the washer fluid container or else you will end up with a mess like I did the first time. Not really sure what I thought was going to stop it from coming out all over the place.

Bumper finally off
Old 03-18-12, 05:21 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

So I was worried about scrapping the front lip and since it was carbon and I didn't want to damage it I did a little research and found two solutions. One using industrial Velcro and the other a 3M product used on airplane front ends and helicopter blades that seems pretty indestructible. The 3M product is extremely expensive and I was unable to figure out if you needed a special adhesive to apply it so I went with the easier solution that I could pickup at Lowes.

You don't use the hard plastic stuff but rather the softer thicker part of the Velcro.

Lip finally installed on the bumper

Couple shots of the hardware installed and at the end of the bumper you can see how the last mounting location uses the factory hardware. I chose to use the factory holes to start with to bolt the lip on to align it to the bumper before drilling the holes in the bumper to install the other bolts.

Shot before installing the side skirts.

The side skirts didn't have a factory bolt hole to use to help align so a buddy of mine came over to help me hold it in place after I lined up each end before drilling the outer holes. I forgot to take any pics of the rest of the side skirt install cause I was getting tired at this point. Also no pics of the re-install but just pretty much do the reverse of taking it apart.

Only able to get 3 shots of it today as it rained for most of the day unforunately. The sun did come out though so I could at least get these.

The following users liked this post:
YeShrug (08-06-19)
Old 03-18-12, 06:34 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow looks great!!
Old 03-18-12, 06:40 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful , very tastefully done
Old 03-18-12, 06:40 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Looks great.
Old 03-18-12, 07:05 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to do that to my F now
Old 03-18-12, 07:14 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice nice nice
Old 03-18-12, 08:10 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looks nice!
Old 03-18-12, 08:40 PM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where in pa are you located?
Old 03-18-12, 11:37 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always wonder who ended up buying CrazyMPG's Branew kit. I always liked it on his car
Old 03-20-12, 07:10 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

looks great. the front and sides look so much like the downforce kit, rear is quite different though.
Old 03-20-12, 08:30 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car looks great + nice photography =
Old 03-20-12, 09:59 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good. First time seeing an ISS exhaust with that rear diffuser.