Trans problem w/ISF

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 12:07 PM
JKISFASTER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problem w/ISF

08' ISF
I get code P0776 using my scanner. I was doing some spirited mountain passing when I got this code and the car basically wont shift or do reverse.

Code reads: Pressure control solenoid B Performance or stuck off

Reading up about it, it seems that the ECM and TCM aren't on the same page anymore. I figured I'd reset by disconnecting the battery, but that dint work.

Anyway to reset the trans(TCU) computer manually?

Clearing the ECM code does nothing other than clearing the MIL lamp.

Any solutions other than trekking to the dealership would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-16-12, 12:12 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have your tried resetting the ecu? I'd reset it and see if it still does the same.
I don't know that code. Hopefully someone has a clue.

ECU reset IS-F

ps Silly question but did you make sure your gas cap is on tight?

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 04-16-12 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 03:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I don't know where you got the idea it's a problem between the ECM and TCU. The factory service manual says if you only get P0776, you need to find out what is wrong with shift solenoid SL2. If nothing is wrong with shift solenoid SL2, inspect the valve body and find the source of the blockage. Nothing about the ECM or TCU at all in the troubleshooting - except be sure the wiring to shift solenoid SL2 is not bad.
Old 04-16-12, 03:47 PM
JKISFASTER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Have your tried resetting the ecu? I'd reset it and see if it still does the same.
I don't know that code. Hopefully someone has a clue.

ECU reset IS-F

ps Silly question but did you make sure your gas cap is on tight?
I disconnected the battery and there was no change. I'll try those fuses.

Gas cap is on tight.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't know where you got the idea it's a problem between the ECM and TCU. The factory service manual says if you only get P0776, you need to find out what is wrong with shift solenoid SL2. If nothing is wrong with shift solenoid SL2, inspect the valve body and find the source of the blockage. Nothing about the ECM or TCU at all in the troubleshooting - except be sure the wiring to shift solenoid SL2 is not bad.
Web searching I found what you mention above. In addition I saw several comments that dealerships just reset the transmission computer on various cars that would report this code, and the problem went away(glitch). So I was wondering if I could reset as the first step, otherwise the mentioned above would mean this F needs to be towed to a dealership 75 miles away.
Old 04-16-12, 04:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

From the Factory Service Manual:

2. RESET MEMORY

NOTICE:

Perform Reset Memory (AT initialization) when replacing the engine assembly or ECM.
Reset Memory can be performed only with the Techstream.
Reset Memory cannot be completed by only disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the negative (-) battery terminal.

HINT:

The TCM (ECT) memorizes the vehicle conditions when controlling the automatic transmission assembly and engine assembly.

(a) The "Reset Memory" procedure is as follows:

(1) Turn the engine switch off.

(2) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(3) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(4) Turn the Techstream on.

(5) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / ECT / Utility / Reset Memory.

Looks like you're getting a tow if resetting the memory is what you need.
Old 04-16-12, 06:59 PM
AAM6906
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could try replacing the solenoid im sure its only 2 or 3 bolts, but if you arnt good at fixing things then just get it towed to the dealer.......
Old 04-16-12, 07:17 PM
JKISFASTER
Driver School Candidate

From the Factory Service Manual:

2. RESET MEMORY

NOTICE:

Perform Reset Memory (AT initialization) when replacing the engine assembly or ECM.
Reset Memory can be performed only with the Techstream.
Reset Memory cannot be completed by only disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the negative (-) battery terminal.

HINT:

The TCM (ECT) memorizes the vehicle conditions when controlling the automatic transmission assembly and engine assembly.

(a) The "Reset Memory" procedure is as follows:

(1) Turn the engine switch off.

(2) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.

(3) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(4) Turn the Techstream on.

(5) Enter the following menus: Powertrain / ECT / Utility / Reset Memory.

Looks like you're getting a tow if resetting the memory is what you need.
Thanks Lowbux,
That's what I was afraid of. Looks like that's what I'll have to do.
Old 04-16-12, 07:33 PM
JKISFASTER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AAM6906
you could try replacing the solenoid im sure its only 2 or 3 bolts, but if you arnt good at fixing things then just get it towed to the dealer.......
I am pretty good at fixing things. Lobux can you give me a location of the solenoid and what resistance it should be between, please? I found one for a RX 330/300 but im sure its not the same.

I have a buddy stopping by sometime this week with a snap on diag computer. it should support techstream. I'll try that first.

Thanks
Old 04-16-12, 11:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

SL2 is at the back of the valve body. It has its own separate retainer and lock pin. No the RX part won't work. The part number you need looks like either 35210‑50070 or 35210-50050 - it's not clear from the diagram which part it is. It goes for about $155 from Internet sources. If the car is still under warranty, I'd let Lexus deal with it. It is not at all a common failure for the membership of this forum.

The strainer (filter) is 35330‑50030 and it would be ideal to change it at the same time. You'll also need some of the magic ATF from Lexus - the WS (world standard) fluid - and you'll need to follow the instructions for refilling. It is unfortunately not as simple as pouring in ATF until it comes out of the overflow hole.

If you want to know how commonly it fails, call a dealer and see if it is in stock. If they have one, it's a common failure item. If they don't, yours is a freak failure.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-16-12 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 11:32 AM
JKISFASTER
Driver School Candidate

SL2 is at the back of the valve body. It has its own separate retainer and lock pin. No the RX part won't work. The part number you need looks like either 35210‑50070 or 35210-50050 - it's not clear from the diagram which part it is. It goes for about $155 from Internet sources. If the car is still under warranty, I'd let Lexus deal with it. It is not at all a common failure for the membership of this forum.

The strainer (filter) is 35330‑50030 and it would be ideal to change it at the same time. You'll also need some of the magic ATF from Lexus - the WS (world standard) fluid - and you'll need to follow the instructions for refilling. It is unfortunately not as simple as pouring in ATF until it comes out of the overflow hole.

If you want to know how commonly it fails, call a dealer and see if it is in stock. If they have one, it's a common failure item. If they don't, yours is a freak failure.
Thanks lowbux, you really help me out.
Old 04-17-12, 12:14 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us informed. I'd like to know your outcome?

So your car only stays in fist gear?