IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake decision - and hello to all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 03:28 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intake decision - and hello to all!

I bought my new IS F last month after trading in my G35 w/ 196,000 miles on it!!! The guys over at Stillen in Orange County were awesome and helped with a ton of tuning and mods. However, I am new to the community here so I guess I will start by saying hello to everyone So of course the first mod I want to do on my new F, performance wise for that matter, is an 1. intake 2. exhaust 3. headers. So I am coming to the experts, "the forum"! I've been doing my research and have looked at Joe Z, K&N, Injen and so forth. So here's the dilemma in this thread by FIGS...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fe-takeda.html

...the conclusion was that the stock intake proved to be the best over Injen and Takeda back in 2010/2011. I would not feel right sacrificing looks/sound over gains by switching intakes. So the major questions are:

1. Have there been any different conclusions on which intake provides the best gains?
2. Which intakes should we definitely stay away from?

I know "the best" will always be an "IMO" answer, but what would the top 2 intakes be? Im not worried about looks in the engine bay, however a deeper sound across the power band would be nice without a power sacrifice. All comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

And once again, nice to meet you all!

Gil
SoCal
Old 05-07-12, 03:34 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joez Intake/Exhaust with PPE headers will be what your looking for.
Old 05-07-12, 03:52 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you never read the "Complete ISF Intake Comparison Review" thread lol j/k

Welcome to the forum. Yeah this car is a bit weird on intakes and it keeps on showing on dynos that aftermarket intakes seem to lose alil bit of power and make the afr mixtures messy. The JoeZ intake replaces the oem ribbed intake elbow for a smoother look. IMO a drop in filter and a ICode or JoeZ intake is the way to go.

Exhaust are good power gainers

Headers are great power adders! Ps they're having GBs on both headers for our cars in the Vendor Market place section
Old 05-07-12, 03:52 PM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Concur with Zapa
Old 05-07-12, 03:53 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 107 Posts

Regarding performance and Reliability, the Joe-Z intake tube (frees up air flow)
Regarding sound, Injen or Takeda

IMO, Takeda, no nasty heatsoak and you get to keep the dual stage stock airbox unlike the injen ^_^
..downshifts sound pretty too
Old 05-07-12, 03:54 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I guess you never read the "Complete ISF Intake Comparison Review" thread lol j/k

Welcome to the forum. Yeah this car is a bit weird on intakes and it keeps on showing on dynos that aftermarket intakes seem to lose alil bit of power and make the afr mixtures messy. The JoeZ intake replaces the oem ribbed intake elbow for a smoother look. IMO a drop in filter and a ICode or JoeZ intake is the way to go.

Headers are great power adders! Ps they're having GBs on both headers for our cars in the Vendor Market place section
HAHAHAHAHA

Yes.
Old 05-07-12, 06:24 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Stay stock.
Old 05-07-12, 07:11 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the fastest IS F on here are utilizing the stock intake along with other mods of course
Old 05-07-12, 07:44 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

JoeZ intake, JoeZ exhaust, best parts guaranteed, + Toms drop in filter

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-07-12, 07:45 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Answer #2: SRT.
Old 05-07-12, 07:55 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol oh I read the "complete comparison review" by G35 but it definitely seemed like a hot topic slam thread amongst you guys! Seems like Joe Z or stock are what you guys are recommending the most.
Old 05-07-12, 08:12 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That made me laugh out loud!! That thread was epic.
Old 05-07-12, 08:14 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome buddy, take a look at my thread and you can get an idea of what i went with. I went with a injen intake, sikky headers and still on stock exhaust with cat and mufflers delete. Going with a custom exhaust or the iss track once i hear it. Car runs amazing after these mods. Hope it helps and have fun with the f!!
Old 05-07-12, 11:02 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Newb intake question: If heat soak is a potential risk with the Joe Z intake due to it being made of metal, why isn't there one made of the same design as the Joe Z but in the same material as the stock intake? i.e. plastic.
Old 05-07-12, 11:14 PM
PrezJay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Newb intake question: If heat soak is a potential risk with the Joe Z intake due to it being made of metal, why isn't there one made of the same design as the Joe Z but in the same material as the stock intake? i.e. plastic.
^^ICODE makes one but the price is more than double the Joe Z... now if somebody could make it for half the cost we'd probably see a bunch of customers for it

Quick Reply: Intake decision - and hello to all!