IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 IS F: Does it make sense to buy/lease a car near the end of its model run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 05:02 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2013 IS F: Does it make sense to buy/lease a car near the end of its model run?

We know the new completely redesigned IS is on its way. That means an IS F isn't THAT far behind. Does it make sense to buy a 2013 model that is optimized and tuned to perfection for its current chassis? With all the kinks worked out? Perhaps it's the perfect time to lease?
Or should one wait for the new model?
Old 09-20-12, 05:24 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

This is only speculation that an IS F is on it's way for 2014. It could be 2-3 more years before we see a new 2nd generation IS F. I seem to be the only one that argues this point but car manufactures don't come out with guns blazing their first year showing all their cards. Look at the new BMW 3-series...probably best selling luxury sports car ever.

They made a new 3-series sedan, but the coupe, convert are still in the previous model forms, and the M3 is "gone" for 2013...it will probably come back as a 2014 model late in 2013.

Lets look at Porsche. They released a new 911 (991 chassis) as a base model and S model. They just recently released the Carrera 4 and 4S. The Turbo, Turbo S, and Cab Turbo, and Cab Turbo S, still wear the old 997.2 clothing. What about the GT3? GT2? GT3 RS? Those are ALL coming, but in the next few years...

Sure you can say...Well..Lexus is different from those guys...are they really? Everyone just wants to sell cars.

Car manufactures do this to keep interest and extend the life cycle of a car. Remember...IS F came in 2008. The IS was actually introduced in 2006. And remember, I think Lexus really wants to do their homework to make a really really good 2nd generation F car if there is to be one. I don't think the F division at Lexus is as big as the M division at BMW.

If you need a car right away, get a 2013 IS F, it's a revised model with lots of kinks worked out i guess you can say...and in 3-4 years when you're ready for a new car, get the 2nd generation IS F when those kinks are worked out.

Future model years of the IS F have seen added mechanical torsen diff, updated suspension, new colors, etc. so by the time you're bored with your 2013 IS F, the new one will be ready and further refined.

However, if you agree to wait, don't go out and test drive a 2013 IS F...because I promise you you'll end up getting one...LOL
Old 09-20-12, 06:09 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

If the current IS-F is the last of the V8's...I might have to trade in my 08 on a 13 and keep it forever.
Old 09-20-12, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

We know the new completely redesigned IS is on its way. That means an IS F isn't THAT far behind. Does it make sense to buy a 2013 model that is optimized and tuned to perfection for its current chassis? With all the kinks worked out? Perhaps it's the perfect time to lease?
Or should one wait for the new model?
The second generation of IS-F is slated a year to a year and a half past the release of the 3IS
Old 09-20-12, 09:04 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless you can write the lease off on your taxes..never lease.. why have milage restrictions, and wear and tear worries.. finance it or if you have the money.. buy it outright so you don't have a car payment at all. lexus will hold its value.. if you got a beemer you would take a bath on it..they drop in value like a boulder off a bridge.
as for next generation F it's all smoke and mirrors for now..your guess is as good as anyone else's.
Old 09-20-12, 09:04 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just F Me
This is only speculation that an IS F is on it's way for 2014. It could be 2-3 more years before we see a new 2nd generation IS F. I seem to be the only one that argues this point but car manufactures don't come out with guns blazing their first year showing all their cards. Look at the new BMW 3-series...probably best selling luxury sports car ever.

However, if you agree to wait, don't go out and test drive a 2013 IS F...because I promise you you'll end up getting one...LOL
This. I think I just missed out on the 2010 car I was looking at, however, I am still looking at a 2010/2011 IS-F. Someone asked me why I wouldn't just wait another year or so for the new IS.

1. Like Just F Me, I would be really surprised if the new F came out the same year as the New IS. I would anticipate waiting a year and a half or even longer. Just F Me's timeline is probably more realistic.
2. I sat on the automotive fence enough times to come to the conclusion that there will always be a faster car, but there are few that I would enjoy driving AND owning as much as the F.
3. As quoted above, if you decide to drive a new F, be prepared to buy it!
Old 09-20-12, 09:25 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
If the current IS-F is the last of the V8's...I might have to trade in my 08 on a 13 and keep it forever.
If Lexus wants to stay reliable, they probably won't go turbo. Turbo is good for fuel economy and power, but I just don't see them putting a turbo in the Lexus line. It's not like Lexus to do what what everyone else is doing....if anything, they might follow suit with Acura (2nd gen NSX) and some of the other high end companies by offering a V6 Hybrid...V6 fuel economy with the power of a V8. That used to be the whole idea with the GS450h...Check out the new Porsche 918. Perfect example of a sports car, with a hybrid system.

But you never know...the F performance skunk works is just a small division and look at the cars that are coming out by Lexus now under the helm of the current Toyota CEO... IS F, LFA, GS F Sport, LS F Sport. If we see a 2014 GS F with a V8 or a V10 under the hood, we better start saving money because the next 2nd gen IS F is going to be awesome. But watch out for the next M3 as well...it's going back to a straight six but this time with boost. That might **** off some purists but BMW doesn't care. They put a M badge on it and all the fan boys will buy it.

Last edited by Just F Me; 09-20-12 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 05:26 AM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

I bought the 2012 ISF mainly because it has been around a few years. I like that it is a normally aspirated engine. As with most auto companies, the high performance versions usually are delayed by at least one year. A person that leases a car, which I am not, should have even less of a reservation of getting the current ISF because they can just return it in a few years and let someone else enjoy it and get the new one. People that buy or finance a car are more attached to their cars imo.
Old 09-21-12, 05:26 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I think it is far more likely that Lexus WILL go with a forced induction setup for the next IS-F than another V8. Factory turbo systems can be plenty reliable, and I trust Lexus won't throw something in one of their cars that doesn't match their standards. One unreliable engine in their line could definitely hurt their reputation of being the reliable luxury car.

To the OP's question though, I absolutely would not let the fact that 2013 might be the last of the current design affect my decision not to get the car. Lexus has proven that they like to tinker and improve, and every year of the IS-F has been better than the last so far. I'd not hesitate to get a 2013 if you're looking. You'd be much better off doing that rather than waiting until the next IS-F comes out, especially if you were planning on buying one in the first model year.

To address the point about never leasing, I think that's a bit short-sighted. I say you should always lease a new car, but buy (or finance) a used one. Buying a brand new car only makes sense if you're the type that keeps a car forever and runs it into the ground. Otherwise, why pay a premium on something that is going to take a huge drop in value the minute you take it home, and then lose thousands trading it in or selling it 3-4 years later. I'd find a low mileage 2012 before I bought a brand new 2013. If you lease, the depreciation is the dealer's problem, not yours.
Old 09-21-12, 06:37 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I agree the NA V8 has the most appeal, if the 2nd generation looses it. I see the 2013 model as one close to engineering perfection (nothing's perfect), as they can get.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that with all the enhancements since 2008, plus simple aftermarket bolt-ons like intake, exhaust, and headers, a 2013 would have just as good or better car dynamics as the 2nd generation.

To me, the one and only variable (most important) left that would sway my vote btw the two would be the styling of the 2nd generation (so ridiculously hot that I gotta have or reverse).
Old 09-21-12, 10:43 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Still trolling the dealerships: There are some sweet 2012's out there.
Old 09-21-12, 11:33 AM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Still trolling the dealerships: There are some sweet 2012's out there.
Yeah but they all have read leather interior
Old 09-21-12, 11:38 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STGSC400
Yeah but they all have read leather interior
Nothing wrong with red leather. LOVE IT!
Old 09-21-12, 11:46 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Plus it's usually better to wait a year for initial kinks to get worked out. So if it does indeed come out in 2014 you may want to wait till 2015.
Old 09-21-12, 12:06 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a 2012 Starfire Pearl White IS F in August with black leather/Alcantra interor. Though the '13 model has a few more suspension tweaks, the '12 is definitely one of the best years for the IS F. I had an '09 which I purchased Certified Pre-Owned in August of 2010 and, while it was a great car, the '12 is a much better machine. Since the 2013 may be the last of this particular body style, it may very well become a sought after vehicle in the future, especially if the new version goes v-6 twin turbo. I got a really good deal on my '12 and a good trade-in on the '09 too. Don't know if the dealing on a '13 would be as good. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: 2013 IS F: Does it make sense to buy/lease a car near the end of its model run?