IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Help - What the hell is this thing?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 11:51 PM
thughes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - What the hell is this thing?!

So this little arm and servo are having a seizure in my glove box on the left side. it doesn't do anything but freak out constantly, just moving back and forth like its stuck. tried turning the air on/off... what is it, what does it do? i need to replace it but have no idea what to search for, all help is greatly appreciated. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Help - What the hell is this thing?!-is300-glove-box-noise-maker.jpg  
Old 05-23-12, 10:32 AM
bacon22
Pole Position

Ok dont quote me on this but i may think its something to do with ur starter. when u turn the key when starting up ur car before u turn the key all the way u should here the clicks comeing from ur starter. in the glove box u also hear some tweeking no? im guessing maybe it has something to do with that. to be honest i have no idea but thats my best guess lol
Sorry buddy
Old 05-23-12, 12:51 PM
solow97
Driver School Candidate

I think it's the air mix control servo motor
Old 05-23-12, 05:27 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by solow97
I think it's the air mix control servo motor
winner....

blend door actuator, at least 90% sure... it could be the actuator for the door that determines whether air comes out the dash vents or floor vents, but, pretty sure its the blend door actuator...
Old 05-24-12, 04:38 PM
thughes
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
winner....

blend door actuator, at least 90% sure... it could be the actuator for the door that determines whether air comes out the dash vents or floor vents, but, pretty sure its the blend door actuator...
thats what i was thinking, all i could think of was "a/c servo". heat and a/c work perfect though. this stupid thing just sits in there and freaks out while im driving. any body know a good place (site?) to pick a new one up aside from lexus or toyota. I've googled it and prices are all over the place.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 05-30-12, 05:35 PM
thughes
Rookie

I guess this post is for anyone who may be google searching the same thing. Its called a "Mode Servo"
there are two servo's in the compartment. The Mode servo is on top (pictured)

Factory Part Number is - 87106-30371
Price from Lexus is $202 and some change

haven't had any luck finding it else where or aftermarket so far.... scrap yards, giant parts suppliers... nothin..
Old 05-30-12, 09:59 PM
bukben
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thughes
I guess this post is for anyone who may be google searching the same thing. Its called a "Mode Servo"
there are two servo's in the compartment. The Mode servo is on top (pictured)

Factory Part Number is - 87106-30371
Price from Lexus is $202 and some change

haven't had any luck finding it else where or aftermarket so far.... scrap yards, giant parts suppliers... nothin..
Don't need to buy a new one just remove it and shim the gear. Its kinda hard to explain, But if you take it apart u will see how it works the servo itself just snaps together there might be a couple screws holding the covers together. Be carfully not to break the clip when seperating the housing apart. In my case what happen was the little motor inside which looks like one of those old casset walkman motor with a gear attached to the end of it had came loose and backed up against the servo housing which cause the gear to not catch anymore, so shimming will keep it from sliding out towards the housing. I cut a small piece of cable tie and super glued it to the house and for extra insurance glued down the gear to the shaft of the motor as well. Hardest part of the job is removing the servo from its location some of the the screws are a PITA to get to. You well need a stuby phillips screw driver for sure