My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 08:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by _DAG_
Nice thread... love the progress!!!

Update on the xpel? My hood is sh8tty from chips and other imperfections and i think some of that would work well.

Thanks.
what updates are you looking for? get venture tape, much better stuff
Old 05-12-05, 09:59 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
what updates are you looking for? get venture tape, much better stuff
Yeah was just wondering if it's worth it to get. Wouldn't the tape/film show up the most on black?

I want something that's not gonna let my car get all crappy in front. Maybe i need yearly detail service instead of getting the tape? I don't even drive that much, so it's probably from tailgaiting people and getting rocks all up on my ***.
Old 05-12-05, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by _DAG_
Yeah was just wondering if it's worth it to get. Wouldn't the tape/film show up the most on black?

I want something that's not gonna let my car get all crappy in front. Maybe i need yearly detail service instead of getting the tape? I don't even drive that much, so it's probably from tailgaiting people and getting rocks all up on my ***.
well it probably shows up most on blac, but even if i get a black car i will still put on the clear bra
Old 05-13-05, 09:25 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

i believe Xpel for the entire front of the car & headlights was the 1st Mod i di dto my car whithin the 1st 3 days of driving it home....

when i decided to buy the IS .. .i spend 8 hours straight online checking out all the Lexus / IS300 websites etc.... the reports of thin paint & easty front end chipping was enuff for me .... o ordered it that day & it came in whithin 48 hours & was on the car 24 hours later...

best freaking investment in my cars appearance EVER....
Old 05-13-05, 09:52 PM
Bruinette
Driver School Candidate

I have a black IS...got Xpel put on it within a week of getting the car. Like Edgy said, best investment ever...not a single rock chip. And it only shows up if you're within lik 5 feet of the car. See for yourself..

Even on a black car, you can barely see it. Just make sure you use a q-tip or something and clean the edge of it very well when you wax the car. One bad thing though about dark colored cars and paint protection film, it's easier to spot imperfections. Make sure you get an authorized installer. In any case, paint protection film is a must!
Old 05-13-05, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Bruinette
I have a black IS...got Xpel put on it within a week of getting the car. Like Edgy said, best investment ever...not a single rock chip. And it only shows up if you're within lik 5 feet of the car. See for yourself..

Even on a black car, you can barely see it. Just make sure you use a q-tip or something and clean the edge of it very well when you wax the car. One bad thing though about dark colored cars and paint protection film, it's easier to spot imperfections. Make sure you get an authorized installer. In any case, paint protection film is a must!
instead of q tips, i actually recommend putting a masking tape over the edge when you wax the car. that will make sure nothing even touch the edges
Old 05-14-05, 01:51 PM
Bruinette
Driver School Candidate

great idea...thanks!
Old 05-14-05, 02:54 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.... this has been the most enjoyable thread I've come across in a very long time. I actuallly sat here and went thru all 22 pages and I am so amazed and jealous I wish I was RMMGS4's wife..... !!! .....I've got to find me a wifey to get her to buy an IS and mod it also..... god i miss that car!

awesome job guys.... alot of great info and insight. I love seeing the progression in bulk.
Old 05-14-05, 11:40 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
wow.... this has been the most enjoyable thread I've come across in a very long time. I actuallly sat here and went thru all 22 pages and I am so amazed and jealous I wish I was RMMGS4's wife..... !!! .....I've got to find me a wifey to get her to buy an IS and mod it also..... god i miss that car!

awesome job guys.... alot of great info and insight. I love seeing the progression in bulk.

Thanks Uptown. Never knew this thread would turn out the way it did. Glad you enjoyed it.

The wifeys got some new mods coming shortly, I hope you'll like. All I can say is I am starting to enjoy modding & driving her IS more than my GS. Let me tell ya Big Bro GS is getting Jealous of Baby IS nice shoes. I can't let that go on for too much longer can I?

Stay Tuned for more new mods coming soon.
Old 05-17-05, 02:22 AM
IS4U2NV
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default nice progress

*sighs* Oh how I miss the Lexus scene in good old San Jose!!

Progress is coming along very nicely there, and thanks for getting some updated pics going! Remembering the nights working on that car until 4am on too many occasions! lol Hopefully my company will send me back out there one of these days so I can make it to a GTG? Too many projects going on right now up here in Minnesota to take what would be a much needed vacation. Anyway, glad to see that all is going well. L8r
Old 05-19-05, 11:21 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! All I can say is Whew!.....What a story.

Now I know the story behind INDGOGRL's IS story after seeing the final product recently at our annual SF Cruise Meet 2.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=15

Up close, this was one of the hottest IS's in the entire group. The blue was breathtaking and the additional mods complimented the car's overal smaller physique compared to the GS's.

Of course there were many great IS's there, too. But for some reason, that special TLC that RMMGS4 put into it, just added an extra touch to the overal appearance of the vehicle.

see if you can spot INDGOGRL's car in the SF CRUISE MEET 2 thread?
(you should be able to after reading all 22 pages of this IS Story Thread...)

BTW....some IS's bumper came off during the cruise @ 120mph and not a scratch on it.
It was the highlight of the cruise. (details are in the linked thread above).

thanks....teeman3
Old 06-05-05, 08:14 PM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Well I'm a little late on posting this, but when I ordered the McGard wheel locks from TM Engineering, a few other goodies came in that the hubby ordered.

Last edited by INDGOGRL; 06-05-05 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 08:40 PM
lucino
Rookie

that's hot, why didn't you go with red or blue, it might shine even more through your HRE's.

now with the new IS350 on its way, how many of you have put your orders in already?
Old 06-05-05, 10:02 PM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lucino
that's hot, why didn't you go with red or blue, it might shine even more through your HRE's.

now with the new IS350 on its way, how many of you have put your orders in already?
It took me a long time to decide what color.

I didn't want red cause I wanted to keep a less agressive look. Silver was on the top of the list, but with the polished rims I thought it might not contrast as well. Blue was also a good idea, but the blue they had didn't match and paying a bunch extra for a custom matched blue I didn't feel was that important to me.

I also ordered stop tech rotors for the rear, plus Axxis brake pads and braided steel brake lines.

Here's the front set up with my Tein CS and Cusco A-arm visible as well.

Old 06-05-05, 10:09 PM
INDGOGRL
Pole Position

Here's the completed front brake set up.

I think I'm pretty much done with the suspension and brakes.

Here's my car and the hubby's brakes all done up too.

Quick Reply: My IS Story: Day 1