IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 07:11 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chwang1973
According to the local Lexus service dept., it was Cam Gear issues.

Lexus fixed my 20 months ago (20K miles), but the noise came back again recently.

If the Lexus doubt the noise issues, recorded on the video and show them.

Good Luck everyone
Yeah, I got my fix done over a year ago, and within this month, it has returned. It's milder than before, but has happened 3 times already. I'll be visiting the dealer again to have them redo it.

Not sure but I think once they pull out your engine I don't think you're car will ever be the same again.
The car can be the same again, once they do a proper job. The problem is that after 5 TSIBs, this problem still persist.

Last edited by Lets Drive; 04-26-09 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 09:58 PM
DGZis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... I'm not too thrilled right now. I had to drop the car off again @ Sewell Lexus for a repair. The rattle is back! Now this time the rattle not only happens when the car starts, it rattles as the RPM's climb from 1k to 3k RPM's. I just had the major work performed 2 mos ago (3k miles ago). I have no idea now what this could be. I can only assume that it has something to do with the recent repairs on cam gears assembly,etc. What worries me about this re-occuring problem is that my warranty runs out in 6 mos... I will hate the repair bills for this kind of work done after warranty if this continues to haunt me later on. What do you all think?

I also asked them to look around the steering wheel area for a new noise issue. There is a new noise coming from the tach area or the plastic part underneath the steering wheel possibly. It makes this annoying *** rapid rattling noise on the slightest little imperfections on the road.. it is ridiculous. I jump in my IS 09 loaner this morning... quiet as a mouse.. no noises around wheel AT ALL. My 350 only has 36k miles and this noise just started happening about 3 mos ago.
Old 05-02-09, 11:09 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got the TSB done with the 3 recalls as well. I was kinda leery about having the engine out, but so far so good. I plan to check the hoses sometime this week to make sure that all the connections and clips I can see are tight and snug, as from the factory.

I didn't want to have to do the TSB, but the grind noise was extremely loud at times and so something had to be done. I couldn't hack it anymore. But so far, no noise whatsoever. The steering is also much better now with the recall. Much more stiff and responsive. Feels like a different car.

The car also feels more responsive performance-wise. I believe it's the new injectors. It's noticeably different. My car also had that early morning squeak from the rotors like some of ya'll had. The recall fixed that as well.

The dealer completed everything in 2 days. Really can't complain about the experience except that I specifically asked them NOT to wash the car b/c of paint swirls, but they washed it anyways. I had a feeling they would forget. Dealer offered me a choice of an RX, ES, or 250 loaner. Opted for the white 09 base 250. The loaner had zero options whatsoever except for spoiler & 18 inch wheels! Love the white color though.

Does anybody know if the Cam Gear TSB or fuel rail recall involve an oil change? When I checked the oil, it looked new (clear). I purposely left the oil a little low when I dropped the car off so that the grind noise was more noticeable, and also so that the dealer would not deny the service claim. But now the oil is full and I swear they changed it.

Also, I noticed on my invoice it says, "Coolant". Does anybody know if any of the recalls or TSB involve a new coolant flush as well???

The only downside to all of this was that the dealer only gave me a 1/4 tank of gas, not a full tank like most of you all got hooked up with. I probably could have got a full tank if I had just asked, but I assumed they would since most of you all got a full tank. No prob though, car is much better overall and more fun to drive. It's a major improvement all the way around.

I also requested the mirror TSB and got that replaced as well! Holla!
Old 06-25-09, 01:36 AM
starkey444
Driver School Candidate

Default 2nd attempt at fix - UK IS250 owner

Hi all, just found this thread. Highly appropriate as I'm just waiting to get my IS250 back after a second engine rebuild for the infamous engine knock. I had it done over a year ago and it was fine afterwards, but after 12 months the problem re-occured. I live in the UK so interesting to see this is affecting you US guys too. I should get my car back this week (it's been in the dealers for a month now!) so fingers crossed.

Here's a UK thread for anyone who is interested...
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...t=#entry510414
Old 07-15-09, 10:02 PM
flux
Driver School Candidate

My 2008 GFM Lexus IS350 has been having the same problem as described in this thread for the past few months. I decided to take the car in on July 10th. When I described the problem to the service advisor, he said it might have something to do with the cam shaft and that I will need to leave the car at the dealership for a few days. I picked the car up on July 15th and have been driving the car the past serveral hours, with serveral start ups, and have yet to encounter the problem...only time will tell if the problem will reoccur.

The following is a snip-it of my invoice:
=========================================
A instant rattle engine sound right after cold start or sit for while
Cause:
08 Engine - 08
2382 WF
2 13050-31162 A0 Gear Assy, Camshaft (N/C)
4 90430-16012 A0 Gasket (N/C)
2 90430-16016 A0 Gasket (N/C)
1 11328-31030 A0 Gasket, Timing Chain (N/C)
4 11159-0P010 A0 Gasket, Camshaft Bea (N/C)
2 90430-A0001 A0 Gasket (N/C)
1 23915-46011 A0 Insulator, Fuel Pump (N/C)
1 11214-31020 A0 Gasket, Cylinder Hea (N/C)
1 11213-31040 A0 Gasket, Cylinder Hea (N/C)
1 17176-31060 A1 Gasket, Air Surge Ta (N/C)
Parts: 0.00 Labor: 0.00 Other: 0.00 Total Line A: 0.00

26241 Intake camshaft gears oil leak down. Replaced bank 1 and 2 with improved camshaft gears per TSIB#L-SB-0156-08. Repair completed.
=========================================

If anyone else has this same TSIB done and the problem reoccured, please let me know. Thanks and good luck to all.
Old 08-29-09, 06:22 AM
leescape
Driver

I'm very hesitant to take my car to the dealer to have this issue addressed. But over the past several weeks, I feel like the problem has gotten worse and it is bothering the heck out of me. I'm just worried that if they tear apart my engine and rebuild it, that the car might never run the same again. Other than the rattle, the engine has never given me any problems and it runs perfectly smooth. So I guess I'm debating whether it's worth it to have them [temporarily] fix the problem. Has anyone ever had this lead to a bigger problem or is it really just a harmless albeit annoying noise?
Old 08-29-09, 02:21 PM
2007is350
Driver School Candidate

mine also does this
Old 08-29-09, 02:30 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leescape
I'm very hesitant to take my car to the dealer to have this issue addressed. But over the past several weeks, I feel like the problem has gotten worse and it is bothering the heck out of me. I'm just worried that if they tear apart my engine and rebuild it, that the car might never run the same again. Other than the rattle, the engine has never given me any problems and it runs perfectly smooth. So I guess I'm debating whether it's worth it to have them [temporarily] fix the problem. Has anyone ever had this lead to a bigger problem or is it really just a harmless albeit annoying noise?
Looks like only a trip to the dealer will give you peace of mind, Good Luck
Old 08-29-09, 08:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Did I mention this was the most important driving factor for me buying an IS-F? Repaired not once, but twice. Not waiting for a third time...

5 new iterations of redesigned parts, and still people have issues. Sounds like it's never going to get fixed until they convert them all to electronic cam timing as they have in the F's intake side. Or better yet, ditch the cams altogether and have electronically controlled valves. That would be ideal.
Old 08-29-09, 08:16 PM
leescape
Driver

It's just so embarrassing when others hear it, but more importantly I want to make sure that nothing is being damaged as a result of whatever is making the noise. I think sooner or later I'm going to have to take it to the dealer. It's so bittersweet to have a nice car that loses some of its gratification when I start her up every morning. Almost ruins my day.
Old 08-30-09, 01:03 AM
misterjj2u
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have the link to the most updated TSIB for the IS250?
Old 08-30-09, 07:06 AM
Lucien911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS350ty
This has happen on several occasions where i would start the car, and the engine would start to crank and i hear some metal hitting. But the car starts fine, no problems at all, its just sometimes it makes that soudn which doesnt sound healthy. Its hard to explain, but its loud enough that i can hear it in the car.

Anyone else experience this?
Had this fixed at the dealer under warranty. Only happened when the car was cold... Sounded like a problem I experienced with my Porsche in which the cam chain was not getting enough lubrication upon start-up and it sounded like a cam chain was dragging for a split second until oil lubed the rail...

I told the Lex dealer about this analogy one morning when I was there with the 350 for service and they said "oh yeah we know what that is, we'll fix it for you today"

It was, as I guessed, related to the cam gears. They were replaced along with several other parts. I'd have to get the 350's records out in which I'm too lazy right now--gotta be honest. I'm sure someone else has answered this by now anyway.. Someone PM if more details are needed though.

-Lucien
Old 08-30-09, 08:10 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

I noticed that when I switched from Chevron/Shell gas to Costco gas I don't hear it anymore. When I use to fill up with Chevron/Shell gas I would hear it 3x a week. So far for 3 weeks I been filling up with only Costco gas and I don't hear it anymore. **knock on wood**
Old 08-30-09, 08:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
I noticed that when I switched from Chevron/Shell gas to Costco gas I don't hear it anymore. When I use to fill up with Chevron/Shell gas I would hear it 3x a week. So far for 3 weeks I been filling up with only Costco gas and I don't hear it anymore. **knock on wood**
The power of the placebo is strong on this one. There's no way the fuel has anything to do with this noise.
Old 08-30-09, 09:04 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The power of the placebo is strong on this one. There's no way the fuel has anything to do with this noise.
It is just my observation. 3 weeks with no start up noise with Costco gas but with Chevron/Shell gas I get it constantly at least 3 times a week.

Quick Reply: Engine cranking/startup noise (merged threads)