IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cup holder gets stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-07, 02:51 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cup holder gets stuck

Not a huge deal, but a bit irritating. My cup holder (the one that flips open in front of the center storage compartment) just started sticking today. It only opens halfway and "catches" on the plastic framework that separates the storage compartment from the cup holder.

A little nudge opens it all the way, but apparently something is not aligned properly anymore. It worked fine for three months, but I can't figure out how to open it up in case this is a real simple fix. Has anyone else experienced this or opened up the compartment and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-21-07, 02:55 AM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've gotten a coin stuck in there before.. but i had lexus remove It..
Old 10-21-07, 09:40 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

This happened to me when I had the TSIB done for the noise filter.

When they pulled the trim they reinserted the connection to the LED light that shines into the other cup holder under the arm rest upside down and this caused the plastic to bulge just enough to cause the stick. Mine did the same thing, push it and it opens half way and then you have to nudge it to get it fully opened.

If you want to try it yourself, you can lift up the woodgrain panel and look at the connection. If the wires are on the top of the LED light connection, it's upside down. It's just a simple unplug and plug right side up.

If the the wires are not on the top, make sure that it is seated correctly, because this is the piece that usually causes just enough bowing on that front cup holder to cause the problem you are experiencing.

If you pull the woodgrain part up to peak, you can see it, but it needs to come up higher to get your hand in. You have to remove the little plastic plate under your stereo, those two metallic trim pieces next to it and unscrew the gear shift handle, then you have enough clearance to pull the wood panel up and put your hand in.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 10-21-07, 09:51 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input, SPEED&ECO. & Old Oiler. I'm pretty sure it's not anything stuck in there like a coin since I rarely actually put anything in the cup holder. What Old Oiler is saying does seem like a very plausible cause for this problem. Last time the dealer had the car (which was very recent), I'm quite sure they took the center console out and put it back in.

Too bad because it seems like a lot of work to get it up enough to see if that's the problem or not. Are the panels screw-in or pop-out/pop-in? I'll take a quick look next time I'm in my car as well to see if I can figure it out.

Again, thanks a lot for the input.
Old 10-21-07, 10:59 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

You can disassemble your center console yourself and check things out. I had keys fall under there before which everyone here ridiculed me for, but I found directions for taking out the console in the sat nav hack thread and fixed it myself.
Old 10-22-07, 02:55 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koofteh
You can disassemble your center console yourself and check things out. I had keys fall under there before which everyone here ridiculed me for, but I found directions for taking out the console in the sat nav hack thread and fixed it myself.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the thread and look into taking it apart. Hopefully nothing is real fragile in there.

Again, thanks for the input, Koofteh.
Old 10-22-07, 04:03 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

Nope, nothing fragile at all. You just take out the two silver trim pieces, twist off the gear selector and then the whole console just lifts up and you can examine underneath. The guide makes it real easy.

My fiasco happened like the first week I had my car, sucky feeling.
Old 10-22-07, 04:08 PM
truoutkast
Pole Position

same &!*#$!)(# happened to me....took to lexus, they fixed it for me. Dirty wheels. I guess i was riding dirty.
Old 10-22-07, 05:24 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Chris,

Like everyone else says, it's really pretty easy. Just use a small flathead screwdriver to pop the very bottom plastic plate off of the stereo and then those silver pieces pop right off.

Using equal firm upright pressure from where the wood meets the armrest you can pull straight up and it pops right out. You'll see how easy and well designed the pieces fit if you attempt to do it.

Before you do anything just pop it up a notch where it meets the arm rest so you can get a feel for how it's put together.

You're right, it's not a big deal, but these aren't cheap cars and I want mine right.

Let us know if you need more help.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 11-03-07, 02:54 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I didn't really have much time to look into fixing this little problem until last night. I just wanted to thank all of you guys for your input. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out your guidance. My cup holder now opens fluidly as it was meant to!

Aloha,
Chris
Old 11-03-07, 04:17 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I didn't really have much time to look into fixing this little problem until last night. I just wanted to thank all of you guys for your input. I wouldn't have been able to do it with out your guidance. My cup holder now opens fluidly as it was meant to!

Aloha,
Chris

Great job, Chris!

Out of curiosity, what was it that was causing it to hang up?

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 11-05-07, 11:30 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Thanks,

It was in fact the LED housing being installed upside-down. At first I was playing with the wire and jack--trying to reseat it so that it wouldn't take up as much space--but each configuration resulted in the same "catch" of the cup holder lid. And I remembered you mentioning "if the wire is on top--it's upside down" so I gave unplugging the entire housing a try and it came off without much of a fight. Reinstalled it the other way around and sure enough, my problem's solved.

Thanks again!

Chris