IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody have a rattle in the plastic area that goes around the gauge cluster....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 10:57 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody have a rattle in the plastic area that goes around the gauge cluster....

especially when it is cold out. If I pinch the rubber dash and the plastic together then the rattle goes away. The Lexus dealer said when I brought it in before that it was a clip of some sort, I don't know if this is accurate or not. They also said that they didnt have the clips yet so they couldn't fix it. This is very loud and very annoying. They said that this clip should be available in Jan. so I made an appointment to get it fixed for this.
Also my headliner in the driverside rear is coming undone on the edges by the handle above the window. I am going to let them know that I don't want my car back until these problems are rectified. I am frustrated because it seems everytime I bring it in for this rattle problem they have some excuse as to why they can't fix it. This mind you will be my 4th time bringing it in for the same rattle. The first tiem for the headliner coming undone.
Old 01-30-08, 05:02 AM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i have the same problem as you. does it sound like a cross between plastic squeaking and shaking a plastic bottle with sand in it? i hear it when i go over uneven pavement from the gauge cluster. let me how it goes with the dealer.
Old 01-30-08, 06:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had it. @ my 5000 mi service, they performed the TSB for the dash rattle (even though I have an '07, and the TSB says '06). That was 2 weeks ago, and I have heard it a couple of times since then, but not nearly as bad as before.
Old 01-30-08, 07:12 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that same problem with cold weather in my 07. I am having that fixed along with the TSIB's for the dash rattle (center epaker) and the brake pads at my 15k. It is ok to be frustrated, this will cost Toyota more money in the long run pulling dashes rather than use nice padded clips in the begining. I would rather deal with this than sensor and ecltrical problems though.
Old 01-30-08, 07:32 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

I was able to fix that rattle in my car by tightening the two screws that hold the instrument cluster to the dash.
Old 01-30-08, 07:46 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

yeah, i had a series of minor dash rattles along the front passenger side. I took it in and they put a noise kit and put some foam strips or noise dampening stuff within my dash and inside the instrument panel too. It was per a TSB and warranty that I did not even know about.

Dealer was feeling frisky that day as they actually popped in my puddle lights for free too.
I was like sweet! No more rattles.
Old 01-30-08, 08:10 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have it but the IS loaner I had a few weeks ago did.
Old 01-30-08, 08:48 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

i got the same problem. I hate the rattles... My moms 08 Highlander has the same rattles.
Old 01-30-08, 09:02 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ReLexin
i got the same problem. I hate the rattles... My moms 08 Highlander has the same rattles.
Again, you would think Toyota would have produced those extra padded felt tabs prior to production. At least this is minor.
Old 01-30-08, 09:04 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

I wonder why Lexus chose to be chinsy on some areas. i mean hell make the car cost $800-$1000 more and give it the quality one expects from Lexus. To have the car rattling to death is ridiculous. I have had much cheaper cars that have not had this kind of problem.
Old 01-30-08, 09:25 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, yes, yes... I have the same exact issue with squeaks around the instrument cluster and it's been pretty maddening in single digit temps around Chicago.

I tried to wedge some felt in between the rubber dash and the plastic cluster surround to dampen the sound, but it didn't work too well... I also tried tightening the plastic screws but they just spun freely.

I've been weary about having the dealer pull the entire dash to "fix" this problem, so I've yet to go to them with the complaint. I don't currently have any other rattles from the dash so I was hoping to avoid giving the dealer an excuse to create some for me . Are there supposedly new "clips" that will address this problem? Has anyone had it fixed by the dealer?
Old 01-30-08, 09:33 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the same issue w/ the plastic rattle around the gauge cluster. The rattle was heard especially in cold weather as mentioned. Dealer replaced w/ a whole new piece since the car was in for the TSB dash rattle and wanted to make sure they fix it the first time around.
Old 01-30-08, 09:51 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoganai
I've had the same issue w/ the plastic rattle around the gauge cluster. The rattle was heard especially in cold weather as mentioned. Dealer replaced w/ a whole new piece since the car was in for the TSB dash rattle and wanted to make sure they fix it the first time around.

What "piece" are you referring to? The plastic frame that makes contact with the clear plastic guage dust cover?
Old 01-30-08, 01:49 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeus69
What "piece" are you referring to? The plastic frame that makes contact with the clear plastic guage dust cover?
Zeus69,

If you decide to take in for this repair, post your part number if they replace the plastic around the analogue guage cluster. The only other part numbers for this are a felt and plastic noise dampening kit on here. What dealer in IL did you purchase from?
Old 01-30-08, 04:47 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

My dealer said clips, who knows they are probably full of ****. There are a millions ways they could rig it to not rattle. The only problem is getting to it from the inside.

Quick Reply: Anybody have a rattle in the plastic area that goes around the gauge cluster....