IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 10:40 AM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus IS350 vs IS-F

Anyone who has owned both? I am considering upgrading to the IS-F from my current IS 350. I test drove an IS-F last week.... was disappointed in the power (didn't seem much faster than my IS 350) but love the sound.

I need advice on the below.. my opinion is provided about the IS 350.

1. Regular everyday drive..
- IS 350 drives nice but could be more sporty feel
- Do people missed the AC seat on the IS-F?

2. AutoCross
- IS 350 kinda sux... poor at cornering and heavy..
(maybe should get the F-Sport Sway bar?)
- How will the IS-F perform? Is it too heavy?

3. Road Course at the race track.
- IS 350 is ok.. great brake... need better acceleration... some body roll.. (maybe should get the F-Sport Sway bar?)
- IS-F should do good here...

If I keep my IS 350, I will likely install the F-Sport Sway Bar.. to give it better cornering in AutoCross and Road Course... have already installed the F-Sport intake.
Old 08-02-08, 11:47 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for the best track car and daily driver....It's neither. You probably would be better off buying a used S2000 or something for the track and then keeping your IS350 for Daily driver. As a DD, the IS-F is overkill....500hp to go from stop light to stop light or just commute is a waste. Like you said, you wont feel that much difference. Use your money to make a few mods and make your IS350 a better AX and track car. Adjustable Coilovers. You can get a set of Coilover springs and lowe the car, and stiffen the suspension. Whats REALLY cool is you can get an electronic control box to change the settings so its not harsh for daily driving, but at a push of a button, its nice a stiff for track use. Then get the sway bars, chassis braces, and rims and tires. Then incest in a really good set of brake pads and maybe a brake fluid upgrade. maybe even steel braided lines. This will give you less pedal fade and better pedal feel for braking and increase your braking power. Then you would have a better AX car..a better track car and still a very comfortable daily driver.

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Anyone who has owned both? I am considering upgrading to the IS-F from my current IS 350. I test drove an IS-F last week.... was disappointed in the power (didn't seem much faster than my IS 350) but love the sound.

2. AutoCross

- IS 350 is ok.. great brake... need better acceleration... some body roll.. (maybe should get the F-Sport Sway bar?)

If I keep my IS 350, I will likely install the F-Sport Sway Bar.. to give it better cornering in AutoCross and Road Course... have already installed the F-Sport intake.
Old 08-02-08, 11:59 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for a weekend track car, I'd pick up an S2000. Although I'm biased because I owned two.... But the IS will never be a track monster. The steering just isn't there, and while the ISF has the power to keep up with say an M3(almost), handling wise, it doesn't give you the same confident feeling in the turns dept. The Lexus will handle pretty well, but its not exactly going to be "happy" about it. If you can understand what that means.
Old 08-02-08, 12:18 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the others if you can't feel the difference when you drive the two then you should just get the is350 paying all that extra for the v8 sound is just silly. The is350 looks better, no hood bump and tacky body bits, can handle just as good if not better with suspension mods (either fsport or coilovers + sways), and you do still get ventilated seats. If I was going to upgrade from my 350 it's going to be an M3 or C63 to be honest.
Old 08-02-08, 01:09 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

2. AutoCross

The IS-F is significantly heavier than the 350. While it IS quicker in a straight line it's not mind-blowingly faster... I suspect that if you just mod the suspension a little you'll be happier with the 350 for most of your uses. I'd start with the sway bars and see how that feels for you, if that's not sufficient then you can think about playing with the springs/shocks but the sway bars'll have the least effect on normal daily driving to start.
Old 08-02-08, 01:38 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

For someone, who has actually had a chance to test the limits of this car on the track.

Let me add a few comments. (MORE PICTURES TO COME + Thread)

1. On the race track the car feels confident. The car demands respect from the driver, and if you have VSC turned off, you really have to be on your toes and drive the car, making no mistakes on turns.

However, the car is really predictable, and you can control the car very easy.
The car gives you confidence (if you are confident in your driving skills), as it goes down the corner bank at 135+ miles per hour. You don't ever feel like the car is loosing control (if your driving correctly).

2. On the straight, on the race track, against properly tuned / modded cars, YOU WILL get Smoked, no doubt about it.

The one thing this car is lacking, on the track, is acceleration. I am not sure if this has to do with the total weight of the car or just lack of torque, which might be both.

I cant say, i was getting tottally overrun on the race track, However, I didnt feel the car had enough pull, that i was looking for, just to get a small distance from cars behind me...

I will post more on this later.

But, for your question...

Keep your is-350, if you are going to use it as a DD.

But if you want to sport an IS on the Full RaceTrack, upgrade to an IS-F. ORRRRRRRR swap the engine out, with something more powerfull...

For AutoXing, Keep your ISx50 and get the F-sport upgrades (sways /underbraces)

Last edited by t0e; 08-02-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 02:56 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stick with your IS350 like others said and mod that. I would go with Tein coilovers with EDFC and the F-Sport sways and braces. That would be a good match. If you end up getting the IS-F you will regret paying the extra dough...and for what? poorer gas mileage, a bit more power and a slightly different interior and body kit.
Old 08-02-08, 03:56 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have tracked my IS350 more than probably anyone on this forum. There is no doubt in my mind that the 350 is a better track car than the F. Power doesn't mean squat on race day. It boils down to drive and entering / exiting the turns right. the added 300lbs of the F, hurts that car in the turns. Also, I have read some reviews that all the additional gears actually hurts it's performance (at the track) because the car and/or driver has problems maintaining their speed and finding a happy gear to be in. the suspension of the F is not so much greater that it would make any difference. The additional 100hp won't mean squat. the brakes on the 350 are actually great. Mine have never faded nor gave me any fuss.

The only thing I can complain about on the 350 is the body roll, but if you are entering and exiting turns right, you really wont have an issue.

and video from cresson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jK9J89DSUY
Old 08-02-08, 04:02 PM
ub2slow2
Driver

I've owned both and wasn't sure about trading up to an IS-F after only having the 350 for 360 days but once I test drove it and noticed the power increase it was a no brainer. Don't miss the AC seats because I hate the feel of cold air blowing up my ***. Suspension is very tight and feels much better and it sounds so much better and I had sport exhuast on my 350. IS-F is just a much more fun car to drive and faster and I love fast.

Owning both I'd say go for it.
Old 08-02-08, 08:54 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by combfilter
Awesome driving, you passed many cars including a Lotus. What was the length of the track?
Old 08-02-08, 08:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
I have tracked my IS350 more than probably anyone on this forum. There is no doubt in my mind that the 350 is a better track car than the F. Power doesn't mean squat on race day. It boils down to drive and entering / exiting the turns right. the added 300lbs of the F, hurts that car in the turns. Also, I have read some reviews that all the additional gears actually hurts it's performance (at the track) because the car and/or driver has problems maintaining their speed and finding a happy gear to be in. the suspension of the F is not so much greater that it would make any difference. The additional 100hp won't mean squat. the brakes on the 350 are actually great. Mine have never faded nor gave me any fuss.

The only thing I can complain about on the 350 is the body roll, but if you are entering and exiting turns right, you really wont have an issue.

and video from cresson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jK9J89DSUY

Nicely put

The IS is not a track car. If you want that kind of performance look else where. There are plenty of cars that will offer what you are looking for. For a DD the IS is an all around good car.

As mentioned in the past the IS actually performs better in its stock position. The F-Sport accessories will not help the IS at the track. It will look better but your numbers will be worse.

Find a car **Cough** Like comb is looking at for the track

Glad to see you are back!
Old 08-02-08, 09:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

2. AutoCross

I've autocrossed both and the F was light years better than the 350. In acceleration, handling, shifting, and braking. I don't know what the question is... the F was so much better than the 350. For everyday driving though, the 350 is plenty. Good luck to you!
Old 08-02-08, 09:45 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've autocrossed both and the F was light years better than the 350. In acceleration, handling, shifting, and braking. I don't know what the question is... the F was so much better than the 350. For everyday driving though, the 350 is plenty. Good luck to you!
On a big TRACK, The F can dominate....

On a Auto-X track IS350....

Trust, me the F would be a lot better on the track (big track with some decent straights) since it has a lot better acceleration...

IF YOU WANT A Real Track car, be prepared to swap the engine, BUY a new SUBi or Evo, or heavily modify your's. Cause the car needs more power. (power to weight)

End of story
Old 08-02-08, 09:50 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Nicely put

Find a car **Cough** Like comb is looking at for the track
And what car with that be???
Old 08-02-08, 09:57 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to believe that the IS-F would be good for the track cuz then why did they do all these test on laguna seca, nuringburg, fuji speedway to test the performance of the car....Its "supposed" to compete against the M3, RS4, C63....and the numbers show that its is often close for professional race car drivers...so for us regular ppl I don't know how much of difference it will be...haha so its really up to you to see what you want...the F, M, RS, C-AMG is basically about status...lol

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 vs IS-F