IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Caliper Painting Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 10:18 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliper Painting Question

Ok, yesterday afternoon I started to paint my calipers red. After the decals are on everything, I added 3 coats of clear that I had leftover from the smoked emblems, Duplicolor acrylic enamal. I'm not sure if that clear is usable on calipers and my question is if I do get high temp clear, would I be able to just add it over the current clear or would I have to strip everything and start over? Thanks and here are a couple of pix of the turn out. Yeah the rear is kinda eh, I'll clean that up later.

Old 02-14-09, 12:10 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously think you don't need clear coat. I had mine on for 1 year without it and still no problem.

Red seems pretty nice in the front. I might change mine to red and black in rears.
Old 02-14-09, 12:34 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I seriously think you don't need clear coat. I had mine on for 1 year without it and still no problem.

Red seems pretty nice in the front. I might change mine to red and black in rears.
I've been reseaching around and some say you can use any clear. Some mentioned that high temp clear must be used. And to use clear to protect the decals from peeling from the brake dust and grease and junk. Confused about all this.
Old 02-14-09, 02:23 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks really, really good, especially the fronts! Can you take some profile pics of the entire car?
Old 02-14-09, 04:09 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Looks good..I'm thinking I might do gold since I have GFM..I think it should look good..but red is now tempting.!!!
Old 02-14-09, 04:20 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, I guess no one wants to or knows the answer to my question but it's all good

Originally Posted by montgb
That looks really, really good, especially the fronts! Can you take some profile pics of the entire car?
Yeah I'll take some tomorrow, should be sunny tomorrow

Originally Posted by jns350
Looks good..I'm thinking I might do gold since I have GFM..I think it should look good..but red is now tempting.!!!
I don't think you can go wrong either way with GFM. If you can, try and put some decals on it so it'll contrast with the brake color a little.
Old 02-14-09, 04:42 PM
WICKEDIS
Rookie

Ok i will answer ur question. Those calipers get really hot!Since ur using a decal its best to use high heat clear coat. Dont sweat it looks nice dont bother putting high clear now
its going to eventually lift! Next time!!
Old 02-14-09, 04:43 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i used the red dupli kit for about... err... i forget (8-10months?) with sticker and no clear, havent had any problems. One thing to remember is, when i pull the rims for cleaning i sometimes nick a caliper and take off some paint, with no clear i can just touch it up easy and not worry about mismatching, also with no clear if someone makes a more nicer sticker i can take it off easily... clear isnt nesessary
Old 02-14-09, 06:24 PM
iLexi
Lead Lap

looks sexi! where did u get the lexus stickers?
Old 02-14-09, 06:57 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i used the red dupli kit for about... err... i forget (8-10months?) with sticker and no clear, havent had any problems. One thing to remember is, when i pull the rims for cleaning i sometimes nick a caliper and take off some paint, with no clear i can just touch it up easy and not worry about mismatching, also with no clear if someone makes a more nicer sticker i can take it off easily... clear isnt nesessary
Really? I figured it would start peeling from all the washing and dust and junk. Good to know, next time I'll just skip the clear and save the effort

Originally Posted by WICKEDIS
Ok i will answer ur question. Those calipers get really hot!Since ur using a decal its best to use high heat clear coat. Dont sweat it looks nice dont bother putting high clear now
its going to eventually lift! Next time!!
Yeah but I just wonder if they'll get hot enough just daily driving. But imma just drive it anyway and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by iLexi
looks sexi! where did u get the lexus stickers?
Tank kew tank kew but got them custom made at a local graphics shop. It was like $15 for all 4. Not sure if that's a good deal or not but too late now lol.
Old 02-14-09, 08:45 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

base coat clear coat...FTW.

but I had a paint gun and the calipers off the car so it was easier.
Old 02-14-09, 11:09 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Don't know if I'd even do the rears. I need to get those front big brakes on my 250 so they can turn out nice like yours, but they run $1,000.
Old 02-15-09, 04:22 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Law
Don't know if I'd even do the rears. I need to get those front big brakes on my 250 so they can turn out nice like yours, but they run $1,000.
Yeah I was looking at it before I started and it just wouldn't look right if it didn't have some red back there, too. But Im gonna take some side shots today and you can see how it turned out.
Old 02-15-09, 08:32 AM
sgm250
Rookie

I have always painted the calipers of my other cars with plain old rustoleum enamel paint (not high heat) and have never had it peel off.
Old 02-15-09, 01:04 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Just went out for a 30 min drive with light to moderate braking and the brakes feels like it wasn't even driven at all. I guess I won't be needing the high heat clear then :/ But here are some quickie side shots. Please don't mind the hiddeous wheel gap, that will be taken care of soon

Quick Reply: Caliper Painting Question