IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where are you placing your Garmin, Tom Tom, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 02:25 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are you placing your Garmin, Tom Tom, etc?

For those who use Garmins, Tom Toms, etc navigation units, where are you placing them? Just suction cupped to the windshield or something more elaborate? There really seems to be dearth of good places to put a nav unit in the IS.
Old 02-17-09, 03:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DZP
For those who use Garmins, Tom Toms, etc navigation units, where are you placing them? Just suction cupped to the windshield or something more elaborate? There really seems to be dearth of good places to put a nav unit in the IS.
There's a nice flat area right in the middle of the dash that's perfect for this with a Garmin friction mount- no need to stick anything to anything.
Old 02-17-09, 03:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

The Garmin is in my gf's Yaris, but the friction mount is definitely the way to go. It doesn't leave a trace like the suction cups do.
Old 02-17-09, 03:59 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I used to put Tomtom in the cig tray area with home made mount. it fits perfectly, except it's a little low to see but great from hiding breakin thieves.
Old 02-17-09, 04:03 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

gps is on my phone so it goes on my lap or center console, but the radar detector is suction cupped in the middle of the dash on the bottom of the windshield.. been debating having it there for discretion or up high to make sure it can get clearer/faster signals
Old 02-17-09, 04:48 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I use the provided suction cup and base to put on the flat area on top of the center console for my Navigon 2100.
Old 02-17-09, 05:58 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

My phone has nav, I place it in the ashtray. With the keyboard extended, it slots nicely in there slightly tilted up. I rely on the voice guidance more than anything anyways.
Old 02-18-09, 05:50 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

Yeah it seems a friction mount on the flat part of the dash is the way to go, however I'm a bit averse to the look and "cleanliness" of running the power cord down the length of the front console for some reason. I've played around with a few mounting options, none of which I found satisfactory:

1. Proclip: I frankly feel ripped off by the Proclip mounting system. Not only must you wedge the mount clips into the cracks between the center unit and the surrounding dash (which creates huge gaps and distortion in the soft dash material), but it's not secure in the least. Sits in a drawer now gathering dust.

2. An arm mount that sticks directly into the cig lighter. Not very stable and the nav unit itself impeded free use of the shifter **** (mostly shifting in and out of P).
Old 02-18-09, 08:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DZP
Yeah it seems a friction mount on the flat part of the dash is the way to go, however I'm a bit averse to the look and "cleanliness" of running the power cord down the length of the front console for some reason. I've played around with a few mounting options, none of which I found satisfactory:

1. Proclip: I frankly feel ripped off by the Proclip mounting system. Not only must you wedge the mount clips into the cracks between the center unit and the surrounding dash (which creates huge gaps and distortion in the soft dash material), but it's not secure in the least. Sits in a drawer now gathering dust.

2. An arm mount that sticks directly into the cig lighter. Not very stable and the nav unit itself impeded free use of the shifter **** (mostly shifting in and out of P).

Well, if you're using something like a nuvi it'll run for hours on the battery (3-4 on some models, 6-7 hours on others), so you don't need the cord run from the top of the dash to the bottom most of the time.
Old 02-18-09, 10:15 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

I have a Garmin Nuvi 770, its the same as the 760 but it comes with the European maps preloaded. I live in Germany. Anyway, mine is mounted in the air vent with a ARKON GN047 clip mount. It is very sturdy and it doesn’t move around even under the sharpest turns. I ran the power cord through the air vent down to the bottom of the cigarette lighter and its hard wired into the lighter. Wiring was easy, just connect the ground wire "black" to the lighters ground and the power wire "red" to the lighters power line.
Attached Thumbnails Where are you placing your Garmin, Tom Tom, etc?-dscn0176.jpg  
Old 02-18-09, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

take the astray out and you will have enough room for that....

Last edited by kickin8; 02-18-09 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-18-09, 01:02 PM
dangp
Pole Position

I drive w/ my left hand so i have it right above my registration sticker, eye level, i don't have to look near the center console, it's nice.
Old 02-18-09, 01:22 PM
sgm250
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
take the astray out and you will have enough room for that....

Do you have a daytime picture? Looks like a great idea
Old 02-18-09, 10:12 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sgm250
Do you have a daytime picture? Looks like a great idea
Yeah! i second that, looks neat.
Old 02-19-09, 12:54 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

more pics:

Quick Reply: Where are you placing your Garmin, Tom Tom, etc?