IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help- Part 2: Cabin fan causes interior resonance??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09 | 05:39 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Default Need help- Part 2: Cabin fan causes interior resonance??

Since I'm about to go to the dealer for my recalls, I figured I'd find out if a few of my "observations" are shared among the CL community.

This one is part 2, and deals with my observation regarding the cabin fan.

Ever since I got my car, I've noticed that I've heard/felt a slight resonance in the cabin, and I've narrowed it down to the cabin fan (the fan that blows air into the cabin).

If you're wondering what I'm referring to for replication: if I turn my car ON (but don't start it), and just turn on the fan speed to a somewhat low setting, I can hear/feel a resonance/pressure due to the fan moving, as if it may be unbalanced or something. When I turn off the car (or turn off the air system all together), I can hear that the fan stops blowing, and the pressure feeling stops as well.

It's pretty difficult to realize if your radio is on, but when you turn the radio off it's noticeable (at least to me). Also, it doesn't matter if A/C is on or not, so I'm pretty sure it's not the A/C compressor.

I know it's stupid, but my ears can feel it, so I'm just wondering if other people have the same issue.....especially since it's kind of annoying when you're stopped in traffic and feel it.

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-30-09 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-30-09 | 06:12 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

try clearing out the vents in your doors and such. sounds like there is a positive air flow causing you to feel or hear pressure coming from the fans. kind of like going into a store and the doors stay open. too much pressure built up inside the building and is release when the door is openned.
Old 08-26-09 | 07:43 AM
8UANEW1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Since I'm about to go to the dealer for my recalls, I figured I'd find out if a few of my "observations" are shared among the CL community.

This one is part 2, and deals with my observation regarding the cabin fan.

Ever since I got my car, I've noticed that I've heard/felt a slight resonance in the cabin, and I've narrowed it down to the cabin fan (the fan that blows air into the cabin).

If you're wondering what I'm referring to for replication: if I turn my car ON (but don't start it), and just turn on the fan speed to a somewhat low setting, I can hear/feel a resonance/pressure due to the fan moving, as if it may be unbalanced or something. When I turn off the car (or turn off the air system all together), I can hear that the fan stops blowing, and the pressure feeling stops as well.

It's pretty difficult to realize if your radio is on, but when you turn the radio off it's noticeable (at least to me). Also, it doesn't matter if A/C is on or not, so I'm pretty sure it's not the A/C compressor.

I know it's stupid, but my ears can feel it, so I'm just wondering if other people have the same issue.....especially since it's kind of annoying when you're stopped in traffic and feel it.
I have a 2009 IS250 and noticed the exact same issue... I noticed mine at a stoplight. I went home and tinkered around with it without the engine running and was able to duplicate it... it almost sounds like the rear sub making fluttering, although it's not. I've narrowed it down to it happening when the fan is barely on in fresh air mode. I showed the tech this morning while the car was in for service, but, of course, he didn't hear anything unusual. I'm pretty sure I don't have superhuman hearing. It's very frustrating when the service personnel look at yo like you're crazy when you have a legitimate issue.
Old 09-26-09 | 05:45 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Is there a solution to this? I got the same "problem". It started for a month ago. I can hear the fluttering sound when I start the car and when i'm driving on a quiet and smoth road. The fluttering sound will increase a little bit with the speed until the engine and road noise take over. quite annoying
Old 09-26-09 | 05:59 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Is there a solution to this?
I honestly don't know. I've since sold the car, but haven't noticed it yet in the new one.
Old 11-04-09 | 01:43 PM
mikes rx

UPDATE!!!!

My 2010 does it too.
Old 11-08-09 | 11:45 PM
siffe
Driver School Candidate

09 IS250 - same problem. Only noticeable when stopped w/radio off and fan on lower setting.
Old 11-09-09 | 02:10 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

I got this fixed last time I left my car at the dealership. The tech gone home when I got my car back. But I been told that he put some isolations or sealed something in the engine bay. I barely hear the noise now and also the engine sounds much quieter too after this fix.