IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon depot 6000k HID 2nd batch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 07:03 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Update: Wrong bulbs were sent to me!) Xenon depot 6000k HID 2nd batch problem

To make this short, a few weeks ago I received a pair of 2nd batch 6000k from Xenon depot, since my 1st pair's color have changed and the driver's side would suddenly go off while I was driving.

From the get go, the passenger's side would suddenly go off but not the driver's side. So I thought maybe I didn't install them properly, so I switched the light bulbs, and now both sides would suddenly go off while I was driving (not at the same time though). But when I installed them this time I tried to make sure I have done this correctly.

I think I will change back to the OEM ones later on, and see if it's the bulbs' problem. Anything similar happened to you guys?

I just want to find out what can cause the light bulbs to go out suddenly while driving.

Update: It turns out that the bulbs that were sent to me were from the 1st batch, and Steve is sending me a pair from the 2nd batch!

Last edited by jkwan18; 04-29-09 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 07:25 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkwan18
To make this short, a few weeks ago I received a pair of 2nd batch 6000k from Xenon depot, since my 1st pair's color have changed and the driver's side would suddenly go off while I was driving.

From the get go, the passenger's side would suddenly go off but not the driver's side. So I thought maybe I didn't install them properly, so I switched the light bulbs, and now both sides would suddenly go off while I was driving (not at the same time though). But when I installed them this time I tried to make sure I have done this correctly.

I think I will change back to the OEM ones later on, and see if it's the bulbs' problem. Anything similar happened to you guys?

I just want to find out what can cause the light bulbs to go out suddenly while driving.
Color shift isn't necessarily abnormal as the bulbs age.

Are your contacts touching properly? I know with the kit I installed, I had to reverse the improperly marked positive and negative wiring to get them to function properly. In my experience with other aftermarket light makes, an improperly sized connector, from the harness, would at times inhibit proper contact, causing partial or abnormal function in the lighting (the same on/off behavior has happened).

I've seen different kits from XD, so depending on how you installed and connected your lighting, this *could* potentially be the issue.

May also want to check the lighting section.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/
Old 04-28-09, 08:08 AM
NU350
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The same thing happened to me 2 months ago. You should
talk to Steve at Xenon depot.
Old 04-28-09, 09:02 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't feel alone, same thing is happening to 6K bulbs , from the (crappy) iphone pics below over this weekend, you'll notice that my bulbs are turning off randomly. I'm sure Steve will have a solid answer soon enough.

Saturday Night (driver side out)

Sunday Evening ( Driver side out)

then a bit later Sunday Night (Passenger side out)
Old 04-28-09, 10:44 AM
jkwan18
Rookie

Originally Posted by Floorance
Don't feel alone, same thing is happening to 6K bulbs , from the (crappy) iphone pics below over this weekend, you'll notice that my bulbs are turning off randomly. I'm sure Steve will have a solid answer soon enough.

Saturday Night (driver side out)

Sunday Evening ( Driver side out)

then a bit later Sunday Night (Passenger side out)
Are those bulbs 2nd batch from Steve? I know the 1st batch had their share of problems, but I thought the 2nd batch are fixed?
Old 04-28-09, 10:49 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

That's why I don't trust aftermarket bulbs. They run hotter and compared to OEM, have high failure rates
Old 04-28-09, 11:14 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased these bulbs on 4/7 and received them on 4/14/09, I'm assuming these have to be the new batch. Not sure how to tell the differance

Are those bulbs 2nd batch from Steve? I know the 1st batch had their share of problems, but I thought the 2nd batch are fixed?
Old 04-28-09, 11:48 AM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorance
I purchased these bulbs on 4/7 and received them on 4/14/09, I'm assuming these have to be the new batch. Not sure how to tell the differance
I am on my second batch from XenonDepot(which I received in Feb of this year) and haven't had a problem yet.

My first batch did the same thing with the passenger side, it would randomly go out....but it took about 6 months for that to start happening.
Old 04-28-09, 11:53 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i attribute most XD bulb type failures to intaller error... i see alot of ppl here (hawaii) with XD kits/bulb swaps and have no problems, its very easy to damage a bulb durring install so to say something so general as 'batch problems' is kinda wrong.
Old 04-28-09, 11:54 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a xenon depot 6000K on my foglights and beisdes a blown fuse, no problems yet and its been around 7 months now,.
Old 04-28-09, 01:01 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

i have been so close to purchasing these, but have been hesitant because of issues like these.
Old 04-28-09, 03:42 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

how long after installation did you notice this?
Old 04-28-09, 05:05 PM
H1t4m
Driver School Candidate

Hi, i have the same problem... i just installed my bulb last week, and last night my passenger's side bulb went out. Is any thing i can do about it? Do i need to purchase a new one to rplace it?
Old 04-28-09, 05:21 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

Originally Posted by badpinoy
how long after installation did you notice this?
Right after I have installed it. One light started going off after 5 mins of driving.
Old 04-28-09, 05:41 PM
chums
Lead Lap

i dont have problems with the bulbs going out while driving, but when starting the car, either bulb doesnt turn on til i play with the clicks to turn the lights on/off (and, yes, ive read the thread related to this). hope it doesnt happen while i drive, sorry to hear its happening to you. hope your problem gets solved quick!

Quick Reply: Xenon depot 6000k HID 2nd batch problem