IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer called. The IS pedal remedy is ready.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 08:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
can we choose which of the 3 we want performed? Or is it all or nothing? I just want to replace my all-weather floor mats cuz of a hole that formed where the heel rests. I don't want them switching the pedals or the doing the override.
All or nothing supposedly.

Originally Posted by Dunkin1222
I just got a recall notice from Lexus saying to make an appointment and bring car in...Call me dumb, are we talking about that here?
Yup. If you were actually dumb this recall is exactly for you! If you know how to properly use floor mats though, not so much.

Originally Posted by LexedUp
is the pedal actually smaller or just mounted higher? any1 got side by side comparison pics?
Yes, it's smaller (and uglier for the sport pedals anyway)
Old 05-26-10, 09:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexedUp
is the pedal actually smaller or just mounted higher? any1 got side by side comparison pics?
The pedal is NOT smaller... just mounted higher (by 1/4 of an inch). My service advisor specifically brought out a new and old pedal to compare them...
Old 05-27-10, 07:10 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's look at this in a different manner. The new all weather mats sound crappy. There have been many complaints. I think Lexus needs to go back to the drawing board on that part. Take away the mat issue.

Has anybody had the fix completed and wish they didn't?

I had it done and am more than happy. The gas and wash mean nothing. You get used to the new pedal feel in a few minutes. I am happy to know I have a brake override.
Old 05-27-10, 08:31 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Doesn't bother me really. Its wifeys car anyways. The new all weather floormat is much thinner and exposes more of the carpet is my only gripe. The accel pedal is now shinier than my brake lol

Old 05-27-10, 09:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
The pedal is NOT smaller... just mounted higher (by 1/4 of an inch). My service advisor specifically brought out a new and old pedal to compare them...
I assume you're talking the rubber one?

For the sport pedal it's certainly, visually obviously, smaller.
Old 05-29-10, 02:45 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
Safety first snitches. Better to have it than not have it at all.
Safety is relative. If one wants to maximize automobile safety, then (in this order):
  • don't drive
  • drive a big truck or Hummer H3
  • don't speed
  • don't tailgate
  • install four-point restraints
  • wear a helmet
  • get the "mat problem" fixed

If people don't think they can figure out how to shift into neutral (the big "N" between "R" and "D") with a runaway car, then they would probably need the brake override, new mats, and a shorter pedal.
Old 05-29-10, 04:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fredw1
Safety is relative. If one wants to maximize automobile safety, then (in this order):
  • don't drive
  • don't speed
  • don't tailgate
  • wear a helmet

Note: a Hummer H3 is not an especially good choice for those primarily concerned with safety (refer to IIHS testing).
Old 05-30-10, 01:55 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I assume you're talking the rubber one?

For the sport pedal it's certainly, visually obviously, smaller.
Yes, I am talking about the rubber one.

The new sport pedal, imo, looks terrible
Old 05-30-10, 08:11 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

The sports pedal does look different look but it is not totally out of character and if it came that from the factory way nobody would care.

I know how to install a floormat.

99.9% of the time nobody drives my car but me. If something happened during the .01% that someone else is driving and somebody got hurt because the override was not done, another driver didn't think to engage to N or anything else happened I would feel horrible knowing that I declined because the revised pedal looked a bit different.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not getting the recall done makes no sense.
Old 05-30-10, 06:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keppie
The sports pedal does look different look but it is not totally out of character and if it came that from the factory way nobody would care.

I know how to install a floormat.

99.9% of the time nobody drives my car but me. If something happened during the .01% that someone else is driving and somebody got hurt because the override was not done, another driver didn't think to engage to N or anything else happened I would feel horrible knowing that I declined because the revised pedal looked a bit different.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not getting the recall done makes no sense.
You think during that 0.1% of the time that person driving your car is going to swap floor mats?

That makes a lot less sense to me than refusing the recall because it uglies up the gas pedal while adding 0 safety in the hands of someone with properly installed mats.
Old 05-31-10, 08:01 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I never mentioned the .01 swapping floor mats. Where did that come from? Makes no sense.

I am simply stating I would feel horrible if someone was in an accident for something recall related and I didn't have the recall done.

We have disagreed on this topic for a while. That is fine but please don't distort my comments.

The override alone is a good source of safety.
Old 05-31-10, 02:21 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read this entire thread, but I had the recall done and have had no issues. I was glad to get the all weather floor mats replaced for free.
Old 05-31-10, 04:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keppie
I never mentioned the .01 swapping floor mats. Where did that come from? Makes no sense.

I am simply stating I would feel horrible if someone was in an accident for something recall related and I didn't have the recall done.

We have disagreed on this topic for a while. That is fine but please don't distort my comments.

The override alone is a good source of safety.

The only possible way they could experience this problem is if they swapped out your floor mats.

That's why the .01% of people who you worry would have a safety issue would have had to swap floor mats.

Since the TSIB, very explicity, states there IS NO PROBLEM if you use the proper floor mats properly secured.

Hence, if you use the right floor mats, the override adds 0.00% more safety than not having it. Since no problem exists.

If you use the proper mats, properly, it's physically impossible for you, or anyone else, to experience the "problem" this recall addresses. Since the "problem" is "people too dumb to use their floor mats properly"

I agree that an ugly pedal would be a small price for any actual safety improvement. There's none to be had here however if you're using the correct parts correctly in the first place...hence you're paying the price of an ugly pedal and gaining exactly nothing in return.

(except a free tank of gas I suppose)
Old 06-01-10, 07:41 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
  • don't drive
  • don't speed
  • don't tailgate
  • wear a helmet

If people don't think they can figure out how to shift into neutral (the big "N" between "R" and "D") with a runaway car, then they would probably need the brake override, new mats, and a shorter pedal.

I personaly would not run any type of harness in a street car. The oem seat belts are more than enough.
Old 06-03-10, 05:42 PM
sandwiches
Driver

I respect Kurtz' opinion, but I didn't want to leave myself open for liability in any way down the road (no pun intended ), so I went in and had the recall campaign done. New pedal feels fine and nobody's going to look down there. For what it's worth, the pedal doesn't look that different to me anyhow. The new all weather floormats are much thinner than the old ones, and that's my only gripe. No harm done.

Quick Reply: Dealer called. The IS pedal remedy is ready.