IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bumper Tab Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 01:59 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity..... What does post count have to do with how much someone comes on here? Seems like he's been on here 7 years longer than you have.
Old 06-22-12, 01:35 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Old 06-22-12, 08:11 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by areukhmer
i did this a few days ago and i can ride low like no other on my AIR.
Hey I was just wondering, since after you shave/cut/relocate your bumper tab, do you rub anymore?
I already cut the plastic part of my bumper tab and hammered the metal part but now I'm starting to rub on the whole metal piece that's hanging down
Old 06-22-12, 09:00 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xldTylx
Hey I was just wondering, since after you shave/cut/relocate your bumper tab, do you rub anymore?
I already cut the plastic part of my bumper tab and hammered the metal part but now I'm starting to rub on the whole metal piece that's hanging down
If you're talking about the metal piece towards the front of your tire, I had that shaved down while it was at the body shop.
Old 06-22-12, 11:16 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
If you're talking about the metal piece towards the front of your tire, I had that shaved down while it was at the body shop.
Yeah it like connects to the metal fender tab.
After you shave that down, is there absolutely no more rubbing?
I'm tired of all these fender mods but I want to go lower!!
Old 06-22-12, 05:46 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I still don't know how u do a u turn or how u don't bottom out on the freeway when hitting a dip going 70mph
Old 06-22-12, 06:34 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

He's probably riding fully stiff
Old 03-31-13, 10:58 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need this done bad. that damn bolt has eaten up the hell out of my tires. + super embarrassing with a girl. "excuse me dont mind the rubbing grinding noise, perfectly normal." I personally can live with it, the passengers and guests in my car dont like it... lol
Old 03-31-13, 01:19 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Adam350is
i need this done bad. that damn bolt has eaten up the hell out of my tires. + super embarrassing with a girl. "excuse me dont mind the rubbing grinding noise, perfectly normal." I personally can live with it, the passengers and guests in my car dont like it... lol

Its quite simple man get it done, I know the noise and it SUCKS
Old 06-05-13, 12:10 AM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol

i think ill just let it continue to get banged up...

damn.. lol
Old 07-08-13, 05:58 PM
blackgpgt
Rookie

This is a great thread...BUT no one has answered the ongoing question of will it still rub after the bumper tab is relocated/ removed...The answer is yes...Ive gotten my fenders rolled/ shaved and have also done the bumper tab relocation. It still rubs on hard corners, u-turns, pulling into driveways..but I will also mention that I am running 20's and a 35 sidewall..Any lower and the tire itself will rub the bumper and fende...Is there a few millimeters here and there that I can shave and dremel and bang with a hammer to get the clearance I'm looking for? Probably Not.

For everyone else like me reading this thinking there is more room in there after the relocation..there isn't...And when you see people slammed to the ground just remember they usually have bagged cars that don't drive like that..The only last way I can think of is super stretching the tires.
Old 07-09-13, 05:45 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blackgpgt
This is a great thread...BUT no one has answered the ongoing question of will it still rub after the bumper tab is relocated/ removed...The answer is yes...Ive gotten my fenders rolled/ shaved and have also done the bumper tab relocation. It still rubs on hard corners, u-turns, pulling into driveways..but I will also mention that I am running 20's and a 35 sidewall..Any lower and the tire itself will rub the bumper and fende...Is there a few millimeters here and there that I can shave and dremel and bang with a hammer to get the clearance I'm looking for? Probably Not.

For everyone else like me reading this thinking there is more room in there after the relocation..there isn't...And when you see people slammed to the ground just remember they usually have bagged cars that don't drive like that..The only last way I can think of is super stretching the tires.
I highlighted your problem. 20's and 35 sidewalls don't go together when you're low.
Old 07-09-13, 07:33 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

the rubbing you are talking about is a completely different...the bumper tab fixes the rubbing noise when the front end dips and you get that sharp loud noise, and then it chews the crap out of the outer edge of the tire.

the rubbing noise you are talking about is going to be there on any lowered car, it is just something you will need to either get used to or raise the car back up...go out to your car and with it sitting there, turn the wheel all the way to one side and look at how much clearance you have with the fender, then imagine driving and hitting a bump...

you just have to go slower when turning sharp and pulling into driveways...or go air
Old 07-09-13, 10:25 AM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I highlighted your problem. 20's and 35 sidewalls don't go together when you're low.
I have to run that as I am AWD and have to keep the same rolling diameter from front to rear...The rears are 30 sidewall.
I want to go air one day but funds are towards a supercharger kit at the moment.
But is the ride quality with air really that much better? Also from what I've read can't I put air on my current coilover setup?
Old 07-09-13, 11:27 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to run that as I am AWD and have to keep the same rolling diameter from front to rear...The rears are 30 sidewall.
I want to go air one day but funds are towards a supercharger kit at the moment.
But is the ride quality with air really that much better? Also from what I've read can't I put air on my current coilover setup?
Search my friend...all your answers are already on here, and this is not the right thread to get into that conversation