Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 07:47 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ventureshield or 3M?

need to pick one of these films.. cost is the same
The car is white so I want one that resist turning yellowing better,
but I heard 3M is thicker and the new one doesn't yellow (as much?)
Old 06-02-10, 07:52 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would get the 3M... my friend has it on for 3 years now on a white and has 0 probs

Andre
Old 06-02-10, 07:58 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Well I have 3M on my white pearl 2IS but I can see it is yellow from day 1, but mostly inside garage under fluorescent at some angles.
So thinking of trying ventureshield this time

I have had the 3M for 10k and protected perfectly so far and has not yellowed more than when installed.. although the car is always garaged.. It does have a bit of texture but on a white car it is so not noticable.

It will be done by Premier in Norcal but they told me I can choose either films. I heard the newer 3M is even better than 3 years ago.
Old 06-02-10, 08:44 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

VentureShield is the best with its LIFETIME warranty. There is no overlapping and the patterns use the least amount of pieces. Check out the video below. I've had the Ventureshield for almost 4years and no yellow and no problems. The MOST important thing to know; make sure the installer has a lot of experience and will be around somewhere down the road!

http://www.automotivepaintprotection.com/

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 06-03-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:56 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

+1 for venture shield, thats all my friend uses at his shop. Sometimes it's not the film that causes it to yellow over time, its the process of installing and the installer.
Old 06-02-10, 09:33 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bro-in-law had the 3m on his car and recommends that.

Just make sure to follow the instruction carefully. Prepping and then using the right amount of solution mix.

I went with the cheap stuff (Nu Solis) on e-Bay for 17 bucks. Just installing that required more effort than the 3m. After day one, I haven't seen any yellows or deterioration. *knock on wood*
Old 06-02-10, 01:39 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ventureshield
Old 06-02-10, 04:33 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Should I add it to headlights and fog lights also?
Old 06-03-10, 12:37 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Should I add it to headlights and fog lights also?
yes thats where the moneys at! headlights and foglights. i added $25 for those to be done, along with the door edge guards and gas door edge guard. cost me $500 for the 3m with installation and the installer came to me. i have a starfire pearl, havent been happier.
Old 06-03-10, 04:06 AM
Koz

The IS is rated at the hardest level for installation. After watching a very experienced installer working on my car for many hrs, I was so glad I did not attempt to do it myself. The Ventureshield pattern for the nose of the car is one piece and it takes a reasonable amount of skill to install. This is not a job for the in-experienced unless you piece it in.

I had the front (with a 24" bikini cut on the hood), fogs, headlights, around wheel wells, rockers, door handle wells, below gas door and rear bumper done. You could have the whole car done if you have the cash.

Koz
Old 06-03-10, 08:36 AM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Do you notice the lines of the shield when you get close to the car? Because by the mud flap area there are factory ones and you can see it every time you walk up to the car. I a saw a Porsche have the front hood shield on and you could see where it cuts off. I didn't really care for the look.
Old 06-03-10, 08:52 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

^Usually a good installer will tuck all edges and leave a release hole at the corner which is not noticeable. But of course if all edges are tucked for a seamless look they will charge more =)
Old 06-03-10, 09:01 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by soulsoarer
Do you notice the lines of the shield when you get close to the car? Because by the mud flap area there are factory ones and you can see it every time you walk up to the car. I a saw a Porsche have the front hood shield on and you could see where it cuts off. I didn't really care for the look.
If you weren't looking for them (Not OEM near rear wheel), you would not notice them. You also have to weigh the pros and cons. In this case the pros overwhelm the cons. I do not have one paint chip on my car and I also brushed a concrete planter with the front bumper and all I had to do was remove a small section of the mask and there was not a mark on the bumper. Best money I spent on this car!

Koz
Old 06-13-10, 10:11 AM
nielboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both and for durability I think 3M is better. The 3M is applied using an adhesive and requires a heat gun and some work to remove it. The Ventureshield just peels right off with very little effort. That speakss volumes to me as to which one will stay put on the car with the wear and tear. The
3M also has a clearcoat finish applied to it, so you can wax it etc. The Ventureshield does not and the recommendation is not to wax it unless you're using stuff like Zaino or equivalent. For Ventureshield, the recommended cleaner is a plastic cleaner.

The upside of the Ventureshield aside from the lifetime warranty is that it is harder to notice on the car.

When I had 3M I had no problems ever with the film lifting on edges etc, but I did with the Ventureshield. This might have something to do with the installation, but the fact that the Ventureshield can be peeled off with alot less work and effort than the 3M also plays a part of it.
Old 06-13-10, 10:39 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's another vote for ventureshield - 2 years and no issues. It doesn't stick well to our mirror covers, though. I peeled it off because it was coming up.

If you have the funds, spring to the get the entire hood and fenders done. Some people don't mind the line with the quarter front done, but it annoys me.

Quick Reply: ventureshield or 3M?