IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Right Projector Light Failing! Help plz? :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 01:09 AM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Projector Light Failing! Help plz? :(

So I have a 06 IS350 (with the motion projector lights..) and always have my lights on auto. Today I went out to dinner and usually when I get out of my car I take a look at my lights while I walk away.. so they were fine today.... after dinner, I headed back home. Funny/weirdest thing is, while I was on the highway I passed another IS.. while I passed it, I checked my rear view and noticed that the IS's right projector was off... it came across a bit funny to me as the cars i've seen in the past that have defective/blown/problematic lights are usually the German made cars rather than the Japanese made.. Anyways, my brother was also driving home at the time and was leading at first, but later I passed him and throughout the time I was in front of him, he kept hi-beaming me (trying to signal me something)... I thought to myself "what is this guy beaming me for...". So when I got home, my brother told me that he noticed my right projector light was off.... so i went to check it out....and it was actually OFF!! I turned it on and off, and noticed that the light came on when the switch was turned on, but after a second the light would go off... FML!! I've posted a link to the video of what im experiencing (below). Btw, the lights output color is actually less blue and more white than what the camera/video shows, fyi. So, when the projector comes on, it is a little less brighter than the left projector light output.. then it goes off after the second is it on. I was wondering:

1. If anyone came across this problem?
2. I'm really hoping that I can just somehow (1) replace the projector bulb? or maybe (2) the wiring is like loose or something? or do I have to (3) replace the whole headlight? (I'm hoping I have dont have to go through the 3rd option as i'm sure its quite costly to replace the headlight and plus i've already just spent 1.5k on new mods from sewell that just arrived and do not want to spend more on fixing a problem that seems quite early to occur...

I just wanted to see if anyone came across this problem or has any insight before I head over to the dealer without knowledge and have them tell me and charge me an arm and a leg for direct replacement unless I have another (better) option available.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ91F_VMmCg

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-22-11, 01:23 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Swap left and right bulbs. If that fails, try a different brand of bulbs. I had major issues with the same thing until I switched to Garax, no problems since. Then worry about all those options you listed.
Old 01-22-11, 10:01 AM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

i have this stupid problem too, seemed like it happened after they switched out my garax to lesser quality bulbs, or maybe condensation.
Old 01-22-11, 10:09 AM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

also what K are those bulbs? seem like 6000k?
Old 01-22-11, 11:35 AM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

Oh!, so D4S is the projector bulb that I'm having issues with now? Confirm pleaes? B/c i know 9005 is drls/highbeam and 9006 is fogs. If so, that is good to hear since i can just do as per what meefer suggested (thx ).

Originally Posted by nugentnsb
also what K are those bulbs? seem like 6000k?
Not sure, they are the stock ones. Those are 6000k right?
Old 01-22-11, 02:49 PM
jizz4jazz
Pit Crew

i say you just upgrade to garax bulbs, depends if your car already has the xenon package
Old 01-22-11, 03:16 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DzdIS
Oh!, so D4S is the projector bulb that I'm having issues with now? Confirm pleaes? B/c i know 9005 is drls/highbeam and 9006 is fogs. If so, that is good to hear since i can just do as per what meefer suggested (thx ).

Not sure, they are the stock ones. Those are 6000k right?
Yes, D4S is the size of the bulb in the stock 2IS HID projectors. Swap your bulbs first to see if that's the problem. Stock HID D4S bulbs are 4100K in color (Philips XenEco).
Old 01-22-11, 03:32 PM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

Yeh, I have the HID headlights. Thanks brociouz, I will do a swap to diagnose first. I'm just hoping the bulb is the issue n not have to replace the whole headlamp. I called the dealer just cuz I was curious as to what kind of ridiculous prices they wud give me, $360bulb+36labour.. Ugh... and if it aint bulb n need new headlight they quoted ~3000$ including labour... LOL.

Can I access the D4S bulb under the hood like I do with the 9005 drl/hi's and 194 parking light wedge?
Old 01-22-11, 03:41 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DzdIS
Yeh, I have the HID headlights. Thanks brociouz, I will do a swap to diagnose first. I'm just hoping the bulb is the issue n not have to replace the whole headlamp. I called the dealer just cuz I was curious as to what kind of ridiculous prices they wud give me, $360bulb+36labour.. Ugh... and if it aint bulb n need new headlight they quoted ~3000$ including labour... LOL.

Can I access the D4S bulb under the hood like I do with the 9005 drl/hi's and 194 parking light wedge?
I'm 99% sure your problem is either the bulb or ballast - I can't foresee having to replace the entire assembly. At those ridiculous prices, you might as well upgrade to the 2011 LED headlights anyway.

Yes, you can reach the D4S bulbs fairly easily. Follow the same procedure as if you were changing the 9005's, but the D4S's are behind a different moisture shield. It should be pretty obvious, but the D4S bulbs come in sideways, so that moisture shield is at a 90 degree angle to the one for the 9005's, about 2 inches away.
Old 01-22-11, 04:06 PM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

Okay, awesome! I'll try this out sometime within the next few days and report back here.
Old 02-10-11, 01:58 AM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

So the issue was the bulbs. I swapped them to test if it was. I just finishing replacing them with Garax HID 6000Ks. Running and looking good! Thanks.
Old 02-17-11, 08:40 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow i really hope this is also my issue, its crazy ive found like 4 RECENT threads all on this same issue.. maybe our headlights prematurely hit the day light savings time
Old 02-17-11, 09:02 AM
Peaches79
Rookie

Mine started doing the same thing several months ago. It switches from one side to the other at random. If I turn the lights off then back on it will fix, but sometimes they go back out. I was behind another car the other day and could see my cars reflection and the light was flickering before it went out..sounds like maybe the bulbs are just going bad to me...idk
Old 02-17-11, 09:13 AM
moses0324
Driver

i have the same problem. my right bulb keeps going out. i have stock bulbs in. i have noticed other IS's and ES's also have their headlights out. WTF.

I turn them off and then on again...problem fixed. then it turns out again. annoying.
Old 02-21-11, 03:25 AM
DzdIS
Driver School Candidate

Yep, seems like it is a common issue. Just do as per above. Got me the Garax 6000Ks; I like

Quick Reply: Right Projector Light Failing! Help plz? :(