IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus is vs. bmw 3 series coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 07:48 PM
shawnlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus is vs. bmw 3 series coupe

I am stuck, i cannot decide if i should get a 3 series coupe bmw 06' or is250-350 06'. Anyone had the same thoughts, please share. I just don't know if i can turn my back on Lexus. My wife is already calling me a trader for considering the bmw. I just love the looks of the bmw coupe they are so sleek.

Also the IS 2 doors are out of my price range...
Old 02-08-11, 07:49 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

traitor*

which 3 is it ..
if its a 328 then get a is350 if its a 323 then get a IS250
if its a 335 however.....
Old 02-08-11, 07:55 PM
shawnlexus
Driver

sorry it would be a 335
Old 02-08-11, 07:55 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

I wouldn't get a BMW out of warranty and it being 4 years means it is. Sorry, they are nicknamed "BM Trouble U" for a reason
Old 02-08-11, 07:58 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a past Audi owner:
If you can afford the maintenance and have a second car, go with the BMW.

Both BMW and Audi are built around the "driving experience", and sacrifices in drive train reliability. The Lex is built around the "drive train reliability" and sacrifices the driving experience. It's up to you to decide which you prefer.
I personally miss the driving experience, but not the constant repairs. I'll go back to Euro some day.... just not yet...

IMHO
V
Old 02-08-11, 08:00 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Personally it's like comparing apples to orange. They are comparable in class, but you should test drive both cars to get the true feel from both cars. I have a 06 e90 and love it!
Old 02-08-11, 08:00 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-thread.html
Old 02-08-11, 08:01 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by CleverName
Coming from a past Audi owner:
If you can afford the maintenance and have a second car, go with the BMW.

Both BMW and Audi are built around the "driving experience", and sacrifices in drive train reliability. The Lex is built around the "drive train reliability" and sacrifices the driving experience. It's up to you to decide which you prefer.
I personally miss the driving experience, but not the constant repairs. I'll go back to Euro some day.... just not yet...

IMHO
V
Well said in regards to "driving experience".
LexFather

^^^ except the IS is sportier than the A4 which is FWD based.

Both are great cars but I think the used Lexus will be the better bet than the 3. The 3 has great steering to the IS, it has also aged well from the outside, the interior to me is spartan and lacks luxury.

Good luck!
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

my friend calls BMW, "Breaking My Wallet" cause he had to shell out big bucks when he car required repairs. Just something to think about.

They are more sportier type of cars though. Test drive them both of them to get a good feel of the two different cars.
Old 02-08-11, 08:02 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

There are too many pros for an IS350 vs any BMW 3- coupe. Price, reliability, performance (in some cases), resale value, room, comfort. Also, I've had the IS for over a year now, and I still love it like the first day I purchased it. Keep in mind that the 335i didn't come out until 2007.
Old 02-08-11, 08:34 PM
teddypainz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ except the IS is sportier than the A4 which is FWD based.

Both are great cars but I think the used Lexus will be the better bet than the 3. The 3 has great steering to the IS, it has also aged well from the outside, the interior to me is spartan and lacks luxury.

Good luck!
I agree.. The interior of the 3 series was so disappointing to me.. I really like the interior of the IS and was one of the major reasons as to why I decided to go with the IS! I was actually shocked that a car that expensive has an interior that looks like it does... but thats just my opinion.. let us know what you decide and why!
Old 02-08-11, 08:39 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

I have both and BMW interior is better made, some just don't like the styling.
I have. 335 for $1000 i gained almost 100 whp and was running very low 12s
Old 02-08-11, 08:41 PM
Trza
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a 2007 328i coupe to get my 2011 is 350 AWD. I didn't want to keep the Bimmer past its warranty period as it was already in the shop more than it needed to be. I love the look of the E92 coupe and the new revisions make them look even better. Most of the posts here have hit the major points...Bimmers drive well but are not the most reliable. I do miss the handling and feel of the coupe, however with my current installation of the F sport springs and the future installation of the sway bars, I'm sure the handling will catch up. As well, the interior and the build quality of Lexus is quite apparent. The interior is much more enjoyable and luxurious compared to the BMW. I truly enjoy getting into the Lexus and it's comfortable seats.

The big question is if you need the extra doors. I did so it was an easy decision to switch brands. Not only that...the increased horsepower with AWD and a lower cost was a no brainer for me. I'm sure you'd be happy either way.
Old 02-08-11, 09:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 335 coupe is a nice car. The only downside to me is the really expensive repair costs of the car after the warranty is up. There's a reason they gave "free service" for a while (i dunno if they still do) its because thats one of the primary concerns with people on the fence with a BMW.

I think the interior of most BMW's is just too basic for what the car looks like on the outside. But it makes up for it in performance. The 335 coupe has a lot of power on tap and feels so nice no matter what speed your driving it at. When my buddy first got his we didn't even realize we were going nearly 100mph on the highway.

Between the 335 and an isx50 i'll take the IS But thats because i value reliability and fuel economy more than performance. Actually, if i didn't care about gas prices i'd take a 335 =P

Quick Reply: lexus is vs. bmw 3 series coupe