IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 or bimmer 328i?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 03:56 PM
XclusiveLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 or bimmer 328i?

i like both brands....lately im debating which car should i choose over with.
I like how the way the is models look but the power of 328i

somehow i heard that the is250 is slow as hell just like the upgraded version of corolla is that true? and whats the most common problems with all the is series owners??

what you guys think?? thankss
Old 02-22-11, 04:02 PM
2IS350DT
Driver

if u want power get the 350 or the 335.

lexus is more reliable than bmw
lexus is cheaper to buy and maintenance than bmw
lexus is slower than bmw
lexus is less money for more options than bmw
lexus has less mods that you can do than bmw..
Old 02-22-11, 04:07 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude... IS250 will eat a Corolla for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to own a Corolla and Civic so I can feel the difference in my IS250.

I was about to get a BMW 328i, but the sales people there at Stevens Creek BMW were total ****! They are all a bunch or stuckup pigs who refuses to even attempt to sell you a car if you don't look rich enough or you look too young.

With that aside, I did some research between the 2. BMW has a poor record in reliability. Do a search on JD Power and see that it's as bad as Volkswagon. If I was gonna dish out 40 Grand on an entry luxury car, it's gotta last long for me.

Sure it has 4 yours maintenance warranty, but when that runs out. Drop you pants and grab your ankles... My neighbor traded in her BMW for a Toyota Camry because something breaks every month and this time, it gonna cost her $2000 to repair her Bimmer.

If reliability is not on top of your list, then test drive both to see which one you like better.
Old 02-22-11, 04:12 PM
RickJames1
Lead Lap

if u want the power go for the is350 it got the looks as well as the power. BMWs are nice ill admit but they are expensive to maintain. About that corolla thing i heard on the forums that wat your saying is true but wouldnt u rather be driving a slower lexus than a faster corolla? idk jus me but id rather be seen in a lexus good luck with ur choice
Old 02-22-11, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

You'll find no bias here... Lol. Best answer, go to a dealership and test drive both to see which fit your needs and preferences better. Both have pro's and con's, either way BMW or Lexus is a win win lol
Old 02-22-11, 04:21 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

get the bimmer!
Old 02-22-11, 04:24 PM
BlackFish8
Pole Position

I had an e39 that gave me a lot of headaches. I can sleep easy knowing I drive a Lexus. But like everyone says, test drive both and make your decision.
Old 02-22-11, 04:27 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From my co-worker who has an M3 - He aware the cars finicky and need to be maintained constantly and would a good amount of money to maintain. For his case, the sole purpose of his M3 is strictly for racing on the track (he has a racing license). He has gone through constant maintenance for parts wearing or breaking - that is what was going to be expected.

Suprizingly, told me that BWM still have not resolved the issue about failing subframes even with their recall years ago - supposedly fixed but still happeneds.

In terms of choosing your car - if your purpose is for your daily commuting and power is not a factor, then the 250 RWD will be fine. If you want a balance of both, then the 350 RWD would be the way to go.

I used to drive a 95 Corolla which my mom gave me. Significant difference driving a IS250 right there which I have.
Old 02-22-11, 04:33 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

a similar loaded new 328i sedan is about 5k more expensive than the IS250. why not get the IS350 with that extra 5k? i would.
Old 02-22-11, 04:44 PM
XclusiveLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowman
Dude... IS250 will eat a Corolla for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to own a Corolla and Civic so I can feel the difference in my IS250.

I was about to get a BMW 328i, but the sales people there at Stevens Creek BMW were total ****! They are all a bunch or stuckup pigs who refuses to even attempt to sell you a car if you don't look rich enough or you look too young.

With that aside, I did some research between the 2. BMW has a poor record in reliability. Do a search on JD Power and see that it's as bad as Volkswagon. If I was gonna dish out 40 Grand on an entry luxury car, it's gotta last long for me.

Sure it has 4 yours maintenance warranty, but when that runs out. Drop you pants and grab your ankles... My neighbor traded in her BMW for a Toyota Camry because something breaks every month and this time, it gonna cost her $2000 to repair her Bimmer.

If reliability is not on top of your list, then test drive both to see which one you like better.
dont get me wrong thou. lately the reliability on lexus had gone downward.... espcially what had happened to toyota last year...and i heard the same issues goes to the IS models...thats why I dont know if its really true...plus..the parts arent cheap at all with the lexus..and i took a deep look into it..its branded Toyota...
Old 02-22-11, 04:47 PM
XclusiveLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
a similar loaded new 328i sedan is about 5k more expensive than the IS250. why not get the IS350 with that extra 5k? i would.
True talk. with that extra 5k i shoulda get IS350....I never considered that way..but if i want is350 then 335I will pop up in my mind.now im in the same situation..which one..??
Old 02-22-11, 04:49 PM
Lithiya
Driver School Candidate

Lexus=less problems.

get the IS250
Old 02-22-11, 04:51 PM
FsterThanU
Driver School Candidate

Yes most parts for the IS are Toyota parts why because Toyota owns and made Lexus. Same thing with Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti. Parts are still expensive for google a service schedule for a Bimmer and then the IS. IS has the smallest things while Bimmer practically has to go in every 5k miles to replace or check something.

I just wish these car magazines finally did a solid comparison between the IS250/IS350 and their German rivals. We've told you about reliability. Now all you gotta do is go check out both of them.
Old 02-22-11, 04:55 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XclusiveLC
True talk. with that extra 5k i shoulda get IS350....I never considered that way..but if i want is350 then 335I will pop up in my mind.now im in the same situation..which one..??
the price difference between a similar equipped IS350 and 335I are about 5k as well. so if you have the money go for the bimmer. another thing to consider, although the current gen IS came out around the same time as the e90/e92 3 series, but the 3 series look way outdated compare to the IS on the street.
Old 02-22-11, 04:59 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The government launch a big test with NASA and Toyota... all that hype about unintended acceleration is a big lie. It's basically a bunch of stupid people who wants to put the blame on someone else. What really was happening was they were stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake. What of bunch of idiots who deserve to have they license suspended. Do a Yahoo search and find out...

Also, JD Power search will show you that Lexus still has a strong 5 star in reliability.

Sure, Lexus quality dropped a bit, but it is STILL better than BMW and other Luxury brand out there. The same goes with Toyota...

I bought my Lexus after the Toyota Unintended Issue and doing a bunch of research in reliability. The worse one is Volkswagen with 2 star the lowest on JD Power. Stay 100 miles away! Next to that is BMW on the reliability so if you are really concerned with reliability, I would advise the same.

I know people who have problems with their BMW, so I know JD Power is not lying. My uncle traded his BMW 5 series for a Camry and a ton of other people.

Why is Toyota still the number one selling car in the world...even after the Unintended Acceleration? There's some reason to that... Even though, there is some issue with reliability, Toyota is still better compared to others.

Trust me, reliability is very important to me. I bought a Corolla and it was bullet proof. I bought a Civic and it was near bullet proof except for water leaking into my front cabin. But never had a mechanical problem with my Civic.

Sure, it's a branded Lexus... but you can't buy the IS250/350 at a Toyota dealership. Even in Japan, it's a Lexus IS250/350. Not like the Toyota Altezza which is branded as Lexus IS300. If you're still concerned about branding then think about Lamborghini as a branded Audi. Poor guys are paying $500,000 for their Audi/Volkswagen.

Quick Reply: IS250 or bimmer 328i?