IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

**Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 04:55 PM
Egeiger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY

For those of you looking to purchase a navigation over ride and are torn between prestigious society and beat sonic because of the ugly switch that comes with the beat sonic this is a DIY to replace the ugly switch with a custom one that will easily mount into your dash.

Order this switch (DPDT ON-ON) Mini Rocker Switch DPDT ON-ON

Also order one of these or go to radio shack and get one:CAT 5 COUPLER (any straight through cat 5 coupler will work)

If you are afraid to chop up your original dash plug you can order a new one here from Sewell. Part number # 55539B
Blank dash plug

Next get a standard piece of cat 5 cable that already has ends and chop off 1 end. DO NOT try and solder the cable that comes with the beat sonic as the individual strands inside the cable are way to tiny/thin to solder.

Make a note of the color code on the cable with the tab facing away. MOST CABLES ARE LIKE THE ONE IN THE DIAGRAM.

from left to right with the tab facing away from you

8 White/Orange
7 Orange
6 White/Green
5 Blue
4 White/Blue
3 Green
2 White/Brown
1 Brown

you will not use numbers 5 and 6

i dremeled out the blank plate first and pressed the switch into the hole then soldered it all in place. just do what seems easier for you. its really dependent on how tight the switch fits into the dremeled out hole in the blank and if you can get it to come out easily or if its super tight

when you dremel out the blank make sure you take a ton of extra plastic out of the back sides of it "circled in red" this makes it easy to solder the switch when its mounted in the blank and just so you can get to everything easier.

i also think i had to dremel out a bunch of the insides to get the switch to sit all the way into the blank.

strip the ends of the cat 5 individual cables and solder the tips of all of them, this makes it 100X easier than trying to solder them later and keeps them from fraying.

put the end of each cable in the corresponding pin out location and fold the cable back onto itself so its hooked onto the pin on the switch. use a tiny needle nose pliers to fold it over so its super tight and cant come loose

after it is hooked on to the correct pin then solder it to the actual pin out.

once fully soldered either press the switch into your blank or if you soldered the pins with the switch already pressed in you are done.

use the coupler to connect the beat sonic cat 5 cable to your cat 5 cable/new switch
Attached Thumbnails **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY-switch.jpg   **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY-switch2.jpg   **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY-img_0040.jpg   **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY-pin-out-jpg.jpg   **Beat Sonic navigation over ride switch replacement DIY-img_0041.jpg  

Last edited by Egeiger; 01-24-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 05:22 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good write up!
Old 01-25-12, 09:05 AM
HAiS250
Pole Position

This is awesome. I'll be doing this with mine. Thanks a lot
Old 01-25-12, 09:12 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great! Love the OEM look.
Old 01-25-12, 10:10 AM
Egeiger
Driver

I need to take a new photo of the finished product. It looks discolored only due to my fingers being all over it for like 2 hours and needing to clean it.

It actually matches perfect