IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership Opinions on Warranty Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 09:02 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealership Opinions on Warranty Repair

Ok, I know a few of you out there have had experiences with dealerships and warranty repairs which have gone bad and would like some opinions on this issue.

heres the story...

A few months back I had an issue with the roof on my vert not retracting. I pulled out the manual, read, and had to manually close the roof. In the manual it says to remove alot of parts, close the roof and then take it in to the dealer which is what i did. I took the car to the dealer and they reset everything back to factory. Everything is fine and dandy, back to normal.

A few months go by and I start having issues with compressor for the Airrunner system I have. One day the compressor doesnt want to stop pumping air so i check the trunk. The trunk is filled with water, bolts are all rusted along with rust spots here and there. I can see corrosion has taken its course on other metal items that did not get wet. It appears after all those washes and rainy days this is what im left with. I take it to my local shop and have one of the guys take a look. Come to find out the rubber seal that is supposed to be preventing the water from entering the trunk is warped and a there is a tear on the right rear side.

I immediately call lexus and schedule an appointment. They take the car and provide me with a loaner and fix the issue. While talking with my service adviser I explain to him that it wasnt like that before (The first time I brought it in). Where the seal sits, it cant be "normal wear and tear" because its not exposed to the sun. Let alone, the car being only 2 years old. He says "to be honest, Ive seen these types of things and from experience, Lexus will not pay for it. He says he understands the situation and being a car guy himself he knows how I feel. He did say the only thing he can do is email the "Guys" upstairs and see what they say. He asked to get quotes and for me to email him with the info and he'll send it up. Although it is hard to prove the issue was created by them, plain and simple, it wasnt like that before I took it in the first time. The quotes I got for trunk (Rust) repair and parts for the Air total over $1000

I know quite a few of you have dealt with dealership issues and would like some of your opinions on the matter. Is this issue worth taking it to a higher level if the "Guys" upstairs say otherwise? Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 02-24-12, 10:47 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow~ you don't expect that kind of problems with 'modern' cars but i guess not
Old 02-24-12, 10:54 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice is to get in touch with corporate and see if they'll help. When I had navigation issues my service adviser said that they've never seen this problem. I got in touch with corporate anyway and they gave me a hand even though I was out of warranty.

Definitely get in touch with corporate yourself. The worst they can say is "Sorry we can't help you."
Old 02-24-12, 10:56 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
My advice is to get in touch with corporate and see if they'll help...
Lexus in hawaii is not part of Lexus North America.
Old 02-24-12, 11:25 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it was human error (by the dealer) that caused the seal to warp and tear it's going to be really hard to prove that it was their fault unless there's some sort of documentation. like how they do the walk around and sign off sheet before taking in your car before servicing. i can see them saying "how do you know it was us that did that." i also know that lexus here is pretty strict/hestitant when it comes to fixing modified cars because of liability issues. i remember they wouldnt install tpms sensors into my aftermarket rims because it was aftermarket. but anything is worth a shot if it wont put you in the hole, just try see what they say.
Old 02-24-12, 12:11 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Got a call from the service advisor this morning and he told me my car is ready to be picked up. So, i'm returning the RX today :-( love that SUV

On another note, he did receive my email and he said to give him a few days to forward that up. Judd, if servco is not a part of Lexus North America, what are we to do?
Old 02-24-12, 07:36 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Is the car still under warranty? If so, they should fix any problems. A trunk/roof seal should "wear out"/tear during the warranty period!
Old 02-24-12, 09:50 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Is the car still under warranty? If so, they should fix any problems. A trunk/roof seal should "wear out"/tear during the warranty period!
Car is still under warranty, I just picked her back up today without paying anything. I must say, it feels weird sitting in my car coming from that RX. My service advisor said he is going to get back to me and is forwarding my email.