IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 10:38 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?

In the southern CA area, most details prices range from $129 with a maintenance service to as high as $199.
Old 02-11-13, 10:40 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, never.

The dealership overcharges and they won't do a very good job. I personally enjoy waxing my car myself, but if I was force to, I would much rather pay a private person to wax my car. A personal detailer will do a much better job than the dealership.
Old 02-11-13, 10:47 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

here in vegas they will detail a lexus owners vehicle for free. ive went twice already, only because the dealership is about 7 min around the corner from my house lol
Old 02-11-13, 10:49 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. I do it myself. Its my other hobby. Well another one lol...
Old 02-11-13, 11:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

One of the best investments I ever made

Old 02-12-13, 12:08 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Never. I enjoy doing my own car. Plus the pre-owned cars I've seen sitting on most lots have swirls all over them. That's a good indication of their work. Maybe things have improved over the years, but I still wouldn't trust someone else who has to bust out four or five details per day.
Old 02-12-13, 12:11 AM
Kentchup
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
One of the best investments I ever made

haah cant agree more!
Old 02-12-13, 04:28 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

no never....dealership is a last resort for everything....lol they overcharge and underwork...private washers are way better
Old 02-12-13, 04:32 AM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never - I do the work myself. When I go to the dealership they know not to even wash my car.
Old 02-12-13, 05:05 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't let dealers touch your car. They are "speed detailers". They are allotted only so much time to detail your car, so they cut corners to make the deadline. A true detailer takes as long as they need, and, if they are doing a full detail with paint correction, those hours can add up easily. And who knows what kind of products they're using on your car. Should they buff your car, they won't finish it down properly... they'll use a glaze with fillers to cover up any buffer trails, most likely.

I know everyone isn't comfortable with putting a buffer to their car, despite how safe PC 7424xp, Griot's RO, ect polishers are. Not to mention it's a very heavy investment and it takes quite some time, research and practice to get it down just right. Please take your car to a true detailer. You're in California I see and I know there are TONS of proper detailing businesses that can do it right.

Last edited by karasha; 02-12-13 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-12-13, 05:20 AM
A70
Driver School Candidate

I use Zaino by hand, takes quite a while but results are nothing short of spectacular.
Old 02-12-13, 05:43 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

NEVER let the dealer wash/wax your car.

I get free carwashes offered at my dealer and I refuse them every time. Your asking for scratches and swirl marks
Old 02-12-13, 06:47 AM
jbone29
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

never pay a dealer!! My first job was detailing cars at a Ford dealership. I learned the ropes but we would fly through those cars. I enjoy doing it myself and know it gets done right. The earlier post about Zaino was correct, this stuff is awesome if you have a good 4-8 hours to do the work. Here is a picture of mine after being Zaino-ed!! picture was taken with an iphone but you can see the shine and it's still shining strong too.
Attached Thumbnails Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?-zaino.jpg  
Old 02-12-13, 06:51 AM
Bleezy
Lead Lap

I don't even let the dealer wash my car when I get an oil change! Plus my car doesn't fit on the rails anyways.

I would only ever trust a professional detailer.
Old 02-12-13, 07:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha
Please don't let dealers touch your car. They are "speed detailers". They are allotted only so much time to detail your car, so they cut corners to make the deadline. A true detailer takes as long as they need, and, if they are doing a full detail with paint correction, those hours can add up easily. And who knows what kind of products they're using on your car. Should they buff your car, they won't finish it down properly... they'll use a glaze with fillers to cover up any buffer trails, most likely.

I know everyone isn't comfortable with putting a buffer to their car, despite how safe PC 7424xp, Griot's RO, ect polishers are. Not to mention it's a very heavy investment and it takes quite some time, research and practice to get it down just right. Please take your car to a true detailer. You're in California I see and I know there are TONS of proper detailing businesses that can do it right.
^This is spot on. Dealership "detailers" clean cars because it is their job, not because it is their passion. All good professional detailers began working on cars because it is their passion. Unlike the dealership, real professionals will take their time to properly asses your vehicle's paint condition and use the appropriate methods to get it looking great without harming your paint. There is a very commonly used acronym in the detailing world - DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option) - that was not created for no reasons. It is because it is extremely common for your vehicle to leave the dealership looking worse than when you brought it... unfortunately it usually takes a while for all of that glaze to wear off for you to see what they have really done to your car. Last time I left my Lexus dealership, for instance, I saw their detailer scrubbing down an RX with a push broom! That is not OK!

^This is some buffer damage that I encountered on a BMW 335i after the dealership "detailed" it

^You can see the defects called "pig tails" which are caused by DA polishers

^Luckily, these things can be fixed if you know what you're doing.

Moral of the story - Invest in the proper equipment and DIY, or seek out a true professional to care for your car... NOT the dealership.

Quick Reply: Do You Pay Your Dealer to Detail and Wax Your IS?