IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Added A2DP music streaming (bluetooth) - checkout my setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 09:18 AM
cmalley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added A2DP music streaming (bluetooth) - checkout my setup

Have an 07 IS 250, and been jealous of my wife's '10 RX music streaming capability for a while now. This solution may not be new to most of you, but I was looking for the cleanest "integrated" solution I could come up with, and get rid of the coiled up aux cable in my center console.

1) Started with the Griffin BlueTrip Aux - it's a low profile all-in-one receiver that plugs straight into the accessory power outlet. Once paired to your phone it automatically connects everytime you start the car. It does have the ability to make bluetooth phone calls, but luckily it doesn't interfere with the car's built-in bluetooth phone system.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KPLS7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KPLS7K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) The BlueTrip includes an aux cable, but its too long for my needs and I wanted one with a right angle. So I bought the FiiO L8 cable below. It's a high quality cable made in Japan, and the right angle works perfect considering the center console layout.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EV38AE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EV38AE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $70 bucks for both, but so worth it!
Attached Thumbnails Added A2DP music streaming (bluetooth) - checkout my setup-photo1.jpg  
Old 05-03-13, 09:34 AM
cfuller
Driver School Candidate

So you don't experience alternator whine/interference with this setup? I have this setup and it works great when the car is in acc mode. However, when I turn it on the whine/interference is too distracting. I've purchased a PAC SNI-1/3.5 MM JACK GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE FILTER and it did take away the whine. However, it also took away much of the audio.
Old 05-03-13, 09:39 AM
cmalley
Driver School Candidate

No whine or interference during normal play while driving - I think the cable may be helping some (or at least I think I read this particular cable helps isolate). Now if I have nothing playing and turn up the volume I definitley hear noise coming through, but I have to turn it way up to produce this. Also I don't feel I have to turn up the volume any higher than I normally did when just going straight in with an aux cable.
Old 05-03-13, 10:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

There was a service bulletin to get rid of the Aux Port noise... if you've still got warranty you can go get it taken care of for free. quick fix.
Old 05-03-13, 10:47 AM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmalley
No whine or interference during normal play while driving - I think the cable may be helping some (or at least I think I read this particular cable helps isolate). Now if I have nothing playing and turn up the volume I definitley hear noise coming through, but I have to turn it way up to produce this. Also I don't feel I have to turn up the volume any higher than I normally did when just going straight in with an aux cable.
How does the sound quality compare? I'm interested in getting this for my 09' which also lacks bluetooth streaming...

I had purchased the Blackberry Music Gateway but I have to say that I wasn't impressed. Like cruller mentioned, I also experienced a drop in sound level. I also noticed a significant loss in sound quality compared to connecting straight through the AUX port. I ended up giving it to my girlfriend...
Old 05-03-13, 11:09 AM
cmalley
Driver School Candidate

I'm no audiophile, but I honestly can't tell a difference between streaming and plugging straight into the aux jack. Of course I guess it also depends of the quality of the file you are playing. The device had overall favorable reviews at the link I originally posted. I looked at the Blackberry device as well - but I like how this one doesn't leave anything sitting inside the console.
Old 05-03-13, 11:29 AM
cfuller
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
There was a service bulletin to get rid of the Aux Port noise... if you've still got warranty you can go get it taken care of for free. quick fix.
I'll look into this. My car is actually still under warranty. Thanks!
Old 05-03-13, 07:24 PM
Corbio
Driver School Candidate

This looks like a great setup, might as well try it
Old 05-03-13, 07:47 PM
doverjxp
Driver School Candidate

I normally did when just going straight in with an aux cable.
Old 05-03-13, 10:07 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
correct... I got mine done for free.. no more alternator whine or static noise...
Old 05-03-13, 10:29 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

I also have the BlueTrip, and it does a great job with my A2DP needs. I only wish it also sent the play/pause commands upon startup and shutdown like the newer factory Bluetooth systems. The first unit I received was faulty, with the audio cutting out several times a minute. Upon receiving proof that my existing unit was sufficiently mutilated to prevent any future function, they promptly sent me a replacement. 6+ months of nearly flawless audio playback later, this unit is still going strong. Also, my '07 has not had the AUX whine TSB fix, but I have had zero problems with this setup.

Now, to purchase this elegantly short cable as a solution, as I hate the extra coil of cable in my center console!
Old 05-06-13, 07:53 AM
jfass958
10th Gear

That's awesome! Do you have the regular hands free bluetooth integration? Any interference or problems connecting to both systems?
Old 05-06-13, 12:42 PM
cmalley
Driver School Candidate

I do have regular bluetooth that came with the car, and there is no interference or issues at all. I still use the Lexus bluetooth for voicecalls, and the BlueTrip device for audio. The music is silenced when I receive a call, and starts playing again as soon as the call is disconnected.
Old 05-06-13, 12:57 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

interesting adaptor. I like how it uses the 12V.
Old 05-07-13, 10:53 PM
Traxxer
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmalley
I'm no audiophile, but I honestly can't tell a difference between streaming and plugging straight into the aux jack. Of course I guess it also depends of the quality of the file you are playing. The device had overall favorable reviews at the link I originally posted. I looked at the Blackberry device as well - but I like how this one doesn't leave anything sitting inside the console.
I got the device in the mail today along with the short cable and I'm afraid I'm getting the same results as with the Blackberry device. Low volume and lower quality sound compared to going straight though the AUX cable. I've been doing some research and I'm starting to think that this is an iPhone problem. May I ask what phone you're using cmalley?

Quick Reply: Added A2DP music streaming (bluetooth) - checkout my setup