Old 03-20-23, 09:14 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb M850 vs LC

Originally Posted by NiceCars
C2S was years back, going from M850 to LC
Aloha,

HI might be the worst state to own a sports car and I gave up my manual C2 several years ago after just one year of ownership. But...for a variety of reasons, am looking very closely at the LC...a 2019 is about where I'd like to land. Anyway, the M850 was on my short list along with the F-Type R and was just curious how you'd compare the M850 to the LC. Mahalo, David
Old 03-22-23, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

hey reef, why would it be the worst state?
i've only been on oahu and there's a fair bit of traffic on the island, so maybe it's that?

(mods, thanks for moving to separate thread)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-22-23 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-22-23, 11:55 AM
Eightk
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at the BMW convertible. Briefly. Just as heavy if not heavier than LC, 4wd, cheaper used and reeeaallly boring. Dash is almost the same as every other BMW, the drivetrain is exactly the same as loads of other BMWs and outside it’s errr… exactly the same as loads of other BMWs. A bit faster than the LC cos it’s turbo’d, the options list is huge so buying used and getting the spec you want is tricky and it’s just not as appealing as the LC unless you need a bigger boot or bigger rear seats. It’s just a bigger 330 convertible really. Quite good seats but not like the LC. Not an event. Just a BMW. And do google “N63 engine problems” before buying one. Zzzz. Feeling sleepy now. I’m not a fan.
Old 03-22-23, 06:56 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Aloha Eightk...thanks for the info. Mahalo
Old 03-22-23, 07:13 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hey reef, why would it be the worst state?
i've only been on oahu and there's a fair bit of traffic on the island, so maybe it's that?

(mods, thanks for moving to separate thread)
Aloha Bitakahuna,

I've not driven in every state so perhaps my HI statement was a bit overly dramatic. But...the amount of traffic is definitely part of it and it is a tough place to find near top end on most sports cars without taking on quite a bit of risk. Then again, lots of states are the same way. I know a few locals who go up to the H3 late night/early mornings, watch each other's back for Popo, and get in some nice runs. Anyway, I only got the flat 6 in the C2 over 100mph a few times in a year.

Somewhat related is...getting the used sports car (in this case, the LC) you want in HI can also be a challenge. Very few used LCs pop up for sale here. So...am doing the homework to find one on the Mainland, transport it, etc. I have a few trips planned to the Mainland this Spring so hopefully I get a chance to test drive a few and maybe get lucky and find one to buy. Just a few more steps to take if you can't find the car you want here.
Old 03-22-23, 09:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

best of luck reefbreak. i visited oahu in november. have a friend who just moved to ward village there. it was my first trip to hawaii. really enjoyed it. spent a little time at turtle bay resort, wow wow.

was looking up h3 after you mentioned and came across this video which you'll know well.

i hope to get back to hawaii, but have other travel plans until later this year.
Old 03-22-23, 11:10 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Aloha,

That is a nice video of H3. Mostly an inclined grade and minimal to no shoulder areas...tough to set up radar. I live close to Ward Village...LMK when you get back this way.
Old 03-23-23, 08:59 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 639 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i hope to get back to hawaii, but have other travel plans until later this year.
Me too. It's our favorite place for us-travel. We hit up Maui at least 2x year.

Old 03-24-23, 03:41 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

My friend has a 23 850 convertible. I like it. It is a really nice car. New, they are about the same price (at least when I compared them before buying). Personally, I like the Lexus better. I feel that it looks special. Also, since V8s will be few and far between, I want to keep this car and would not want to keep a BMW past the warranty. I did not consider the F type due the reliability. It was an easy decision for me. No one regrets so far.
Old 04-11-23, 08:23 AM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

I have an M850 coupe and compared to the LC, it's much more of a driver’s car (they dyno bone stock ~600hp) but in the looks department, it simply doesn’t compare to the LC. The M850 convertible’s lines with the top up aren’t great, and the M850 coupe’s lines are much nicer. With the LC's expected enhancements for 24 the tech gap has also closed between the two. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I’ll be happy to chime in.

Last edited by NiceCars; 04-11-23 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 10:33 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Originally Posted by NiceCars
I have an M850 coupe and compared to the LC, it's much more of a driver’s car (they dyno bone stock ~600hp) but in the looks department, it simply doesn’t compare to the LC. The M850 convertible’s lines with the top up aren’t great, and the M850 coupe’s lines are much nicer. With the LC's expected enhancements for 24 the tech gap has also closed between the two. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I’ll be happy to chime in.
Aloha...and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I saw an 840i hard top the other day in a friend's condo and although I liked the look, it just didn't measure up in appearance to the LC...which I finally recently drove and loved. However, it was a brand new model and that price is just out of range for me. A 2018-2019 with low miles is about where I want to be...and it seems like several others are interested in the same. Having a preference for a specific exterior and interior color and conducting a search from HI just makes things even more challenging.
Old 04-14-23, 01:32 PM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Reefbreak
Aloha...and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I saw an 840i hard top the other day in a friend's condo and although I liked the look, it just didn't measure up in appearance to the LC...which I finally recently drove and loved. However, it was a brand new model and that price is just out of range for me. A 2018-2019 with low miles is about where I want to be...and it seems like several others are interested in the same. Having a preference for a specific exterior and interior color and conducting a search from HI just makes things even more challenging.
You're welcome, happy to help. yes, in the looks dept the LC is in another league comp'd to the M850, but the M850 is a superb driving machine with plenty of comfort and a few items that the LC doesn't have i.e., soft close doors, kick open/close trunk, a HP tire/cooling pkg, to name a few, it's also wicked fast. Here's some pics of mine, it's a '19 with a whopping 4300 miles on it lol...

Last edited by NiceCars; 04-14-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-15-23, 05:16 PM
redrocktom
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same 3 cars on my shortlist, and chose the LC primarily due to reliability, looks, and rarity. The Jag is a non-starter for me due to poor reliability. The M850 is the better performer, but the hot-running twin-turbos sitting in the engine "V" cause many cracking and leakage problems with the numerous plastic parts in that area and the gaskets and seals. You would probably be good for the warranty period, but after that, these problems seem to arise quickly. If I had gone in that direction, my plan was to sell it in year four.
Old 04-15-23, 07:41 PM
Reefbreak
Rookie

Originally Posted by redrocktom
I had the same 3 cars on my shortlist, and chose the LC primarily due to reliability, looks, and rarity. The Jag is a non-starter for me due to poor reliability. The M850 is the better performer, but the hot-running twin-turbos sitting in the engine "V" cause many cracking and leakage problems with the numerous plastic parts in that area and the gaskets and seals. You would probably be good for the warranty period, but after that, these problems seem to arise quickly. If I had gone in that direction, my plan was to sell it in year four.
Aloha RRT...thanks for weighing in. Seeing NiceCars pics made me take a second look at available M850 2019s but I am still pretty stuck on the LC even though I believe BMW has warranty extension programs available. Though cost of ownership was not the deciding factor when looking at the 3 cars, it was definitely something to consider and the LC came out on top in that category after further research. That said, a proud owner of any of the 3 can make a great case for why they chose what they did.
The following users liked this post:
NiceCars (04-21-23)
Old 04-15-23, 09:53 PM
carcinoid
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I looked at the M850 when I was shopping but ended up with the LC. I was in love with the looks, knew I could keen it forever with minimal maintenance/issues, and that heavenly V8 exhaust note was intoxicating. Four years later and I’m still in love with it.

However… it’s not a sports car. It’s a superb luxury GT cruiser. I missed that aspect, so I did what any rational, level headed car enthusiast would do. I bought my LC a manual M4 little brother. I’ll have my cake, and eat it too.

The following 3 users liked this post by carcinoid:
Brinylon (04-16-23), L's TLS (05-27-23), NiceCars (04-21-23)

Quick Reply: M850 vs LC