LC Model (2018-present)

convertible vs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-23, 04:45 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
I have always preferred the look of the vert top up or down. Top down, really no argument it is art. Top up gives it an angular look that appeals to me. Almost turret-like, or bunker-ish. Whatever to call it, I dig it. It has less headroom front/rear but in a good way since it slims down the stout rear end. And like most have already said, top up you get damn near close to the coupe's noise insulation (i've driven both back to back). Top down its just a thrill, a fantastic experience i compare only to my snowboarding, downhill mtn biking, or crotch-rocket days. I loved being in the coupe and seriously considered it but in the end, my retired lifestyle appreciates my vert's advantages over the coupe more than its disadvantages.
I think you live in Hawaii Duke? It should literally be a crime to drive a coupe there, LOL. When I vacationed there I rented 4 convertibles: 2 soft top Wranglers for Kauai and the Big Island and Chrysler 300? convertibles for Maui and Oahu. Can you guess where I took this photo?

Old 12-09-23, 11:04 AM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
I think you live in Hawaii Duke? It should literally be a crime to drive a coupe there, LOL. When I vacationed there I rented 4 convertibles: 2 soft top Wranglers for Kauai and the Big Island and Chrysler 300? convertibles for Maui and Oahu. Can you guess where I took this photo?

yup, on Oahu. And believe it, not all of HI in conducive to top down weather...if drive is more than 30 mins, rain is usually between you and your destination. <31mph top operation makes it more convenient in a rain pinch but to be honest i come to complete stops for fear of jarring something out of alignment due to potholes (of w/c there are many here). Wrangler verts are aplenty here, Mustang, Camaro, and Sebring verts round out the 'tourist' identifiers Haven't seen a 300 vert... As far as your pic, i've only been to Kauai and Big Island once. If there weren't any bldgs taller than those palm trees, Kauai. However, all the black rocks say Big Island. Maui is my favorite. If its just wife and me, roads are long and winding, and vistas too beautiful to be in a coupe👍🏽🤙🏽🌈🏝️
Old 12-09-23, 12:11 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

yup, on Oahu. And believe it, not all of HI in conducive to top down weather...if drive is more than 30 mins, rain is usually between you and your destination. <31mph top operation makes it more convenient in a rain pinch but to be honest i come to complete stops for fear of jarring something out of alignment due to potholes (of w/c there are many here). Wrangler verts are aplenty here, Mustang, Camaro, and Sebring verts round out the 'tourist' identifiers Haven't seen a 300 vert... As far as your pic, i've only been to Kauai and Big Island once. If there weren't any bldgs taller than those palm trees, Kauai. However, all the black rocks say Big Island. Maui is my favorite. If its just wife and me, roads are long and winding, and vistas too beautiful to be in a coupe👍🏽🤙🏽🌈🏝️
Yep pic was taken on Big Island near Kona at the Pu’uhonua National Park - beautiful place - was there in 2008 when the volcano was erupting I refreshed my memory and the Chryslers must have been 2008 Sebring verts - I thought maybe they were the 200 model but those didn’t come out til a few years later. Yeah I remember trying to drive that green Jeep with one hand on the wheel and one hand holding down the top cuz we got caught in a downpour while driving

https://www.nps.gov/puho/learn/histo...o-honaunau.htm
Old 12-09-23, 08:14 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

hi greg and duke
Big Island 's been my home forever, and i'm a habitual criminal in my 2019 coupe; it was the first one sold on this island
and i believe there is now one more ... also caviar.... its color that glows on you .
my upgrades were touring, convenience, hud and a torsen lsd , making it one of a kind.
the folks at honolulu lexus are wonderful.
aloha !
Old 12-10-23, 12:43 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmillLC500
hi greg and duke
Big Island 's been my home forever, and i'm a habitual criminal in my 2019 coupe; it was the first one sold on this island
and i believe there is now one more ... also caviar.... its color that glows on you .
my upgrades were touring, convenience, hud and a torsen lsd , making it one of a kind.
aloha !
Now that I think about it a coupe would be a good choice for the Big Island - I wouldn’t want to worry about hot ash and lava landing on my soft top Stupid Q but is there just the one Lexus dealer on Oahu that serves the entire state? Do they have satellite garages on the other islands for maintenance or do you have to get your car shipped to Honolulu for service?
Old 12-10-23, 12:56 AM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmillLC500
hi greg and duke
aloha !
Each day i was on Big Island all i wanted to do at sunset was to be cruising in a convertible. Vistas are incredible. I bought my first Lexus from Servco. My cars have changed but my Service Agent hasn't. Always a great buying experience there🤙🏽
Old 12-10-23, 01:51 AM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Now that I think about it a coupe would be a good choice for the Big Island - I wouldn’t want to worry about hot ash and lava landing on my soft top Stupid Q but is there just the one Lexus dealer on Oahu that serves the entire state? Do they have satellite garages on the other islands for maintenance or do you have to get your car shipped to Honolulu for service?
We have Servco Honolulu, and Maui. I too am curious, where does one have their LC serviced on Big Island? Or other islands? I highly doubt they'd pay inter-island transport fees just for service.
Old 12-10-23, 07:54 AM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

I too am curious, where does one have their LC serviced on Big Island? Or other islands?
no worries, fellow enthusiasts ! authorized service is available on the big island, and fortunately the master mechanic who does this, just loves these cars
The following users liked this post:
Dukeaudio (12-10-23)
Old 12-10-23, 08:15 AM
Vertdafert
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

I love visiting Honolulu and Maui but.. you all are so correct with the rain... And the season you visit.

I came over in January one year and rented a convertible Mustang... It rained every single day all day long for over a week.

In between showers I wanted to take the mustang for a drive with the top down... guess what? The stupid windows broke... on a brand new Ford!! imagine that... I couldn't roll up the windows and have to take it back to the rental place lol
Old 12-10-23, 03:53 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vertdafert
I love visiting Honolulu and Maui but.. you all are so correct with the rain... And the season you visit.

I came over in January one year and rented a convertible Mustang... It rained every single day all day long for over a week.

In between showers I wanted to take the mustang for a drive with the top down... guess what? The stupid windows broke... on a brand new Ford!! imagine that... I couldn't roll up the windows and have to take it back to the rental place lol
What a shame! I always advise friends/family (or anyone who asks), plan for rain if visiting Nov-Mar (rainy season).Spring is best! 🤙🏽🏝️🌈