LC Model (2018-present)

convertible vs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 07:52 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default convertible vs coupe?

I'm more of a coupe guy, but just curious how people are liking the convertible. seems like there's a lot more convertibles on lots than coupes, and bigger discounts. I guess usually prefer the coupe for dynamics and weight/rigidity but for a softer GT type car not sure if it's as big deal.
Old 04-10-23, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

the convertible definitely outsells the coupe, but what's important is what you want.
top down driving can be very rewarding. i've had a convertible before, and enjoyed it a lot. but overall i prefer the rigid 'cocoon' of the coupe. so that's what i got.

Old 04-10-23, 08:38 PM
breplica
Pit Crew

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ismelllike
I'm more of a coupe guy, but just curious how people are liking the convertible. seems like there's a lot more convertibles on lots than coupes, and bigger discounts. I guess usually prefer the coupe for dynamics and weight/rigidity but for a softer GT type car not sure if it's as big deal.
I'm a coupe kinda guy and thats what I bought but if I lived in CA i would probably have a convertible to be honest since i would have the top down like 70-80% of the time
Old 04-10-23, 09:18 PM
autozero
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by breplica
I'm a coupe kinda guy and thats what I bought but if I lived in CA i would probably have a convertible to be honest since i would have the top down like 70-80% of the time
The convertible is a real hoot to drive bc the engine sound is truly immersive. That said, I don't like softtops - to the point where I stick with a coupe. If it were a hardtop convertible like the other convertibles I own, that would be a no brainer.

Last edited by autozero; 04-11-23 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-10-23, 10:50 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ismelllike
I did a rally -- Denver to Moab, Moab to Vegas -- in my convertible. Most of the miles were spent with the top up, we were just going too fast and the wind wasn't enjoyable. The car was really quiet inside, I'm sure it wasn't to the level of the coupe but at those speeds it was still really good.

But the best part was getting to the eastern entrance of Zion National Park with our rally group...and dropping the top. Of all the cars in the group, we easily had the best experience in the park with the top down.

To me, that's why you get the convertible. Highway driving near triple digits, sure leave the top up. But when you get to where you're going, drop the top and the experience is orders of magnitude better.
Old 04-11-23, 05:58 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 628 Likes on 334 Posts

subjectively, the coupe looks better but the convertible is a better experience. Since these cars aren't really an outright sports car the extra rigidity and carbon fiber bits offered on the coupe are literally useless on a car that's weighs 4200lb+. None of them will perform like a 911, or even a Honda civic type R. These are fat, bloated, luxurious machines that makes a great noise and are silky smooth to operate over long distances (hence grand tourer). People who bought them/thinking of buying them should recognize their limitations before making them into something they aren't, which is a sports car.

I got the convertible because i love open air motoring. I really miss my motorcycles and this is the closest i can get to that without my wife tripping out saying ill kill myself on a sport bikes.

Old 04-11-23, 06:46 AM
ProReverb
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always been a coupe-guy as I think it shows the natural lines much better than a vert.

And with the LC500, I absolutely love the cockpit lines swooping over the top of the car and seamlessly integrating down into those shapely quarter panels - such a beautiful car!
Old 04-11-23, 07:14 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the convertible definitely outsells the coupe, but what's important is what you want.
top down driving can be very rewarding. i've had a convertible before, and enjoyed it a lot. but overall i prefer the rigid 'cocoon' of the coupe. so that's what i got.
I'm not sure those are market driven numbers. As you recall the vert wasn't available until the last few years, and when the vert came out, Lexus made tons of them vs coupe leaving dealers with nothing but verts to sell. I would be curious what the sales numbers would have been if both were available at the same time and made to demand.
The following users liked this post:
autozero (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 08:13 AM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

The lc is one of just a few convertibles out there that actually looks good top up/down.

Last edited by NiceCars; 04-11-23 at 06:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NiceCars:
BruceinFla (04-12-23), Gojirra99 (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 06:31 PM
Vertdafert
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Depends for me.. Im a kid of the 80s/90s known as the convertible graveyard era. No convertibles.. No good ones really.

I grew up with coupes.. However, once Convertibles started becoming fun again. like with 300zx or 3000GT, Porsche etc, I started diving in for no other reason than just an alternate experience.

LC500 was no different. Im willing to pay more for the etheral experience.. I know the body isn't as rigid... I know it may not look as good as a coupe with the top up.. but Im the owner and the driver and I prefer the experience and option of being able to have a hell of a car that I can also choose to put the top down and just breathe the air and feel the sun when I choose and thats why Convertibles rock.. to me.. not because they are better or as good as coupes... but because what they offer is different than what a coupe can offer.
Old 04-11-23, 06:43 PM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vertdafert
Depends for me.. Im a kid of the 80s/90s known as the convertible graveyard era. No convertibles.. No good ones really.

I grew up with coupes.. However, once Convertibles started becoming fun again. like with 300zx or 3000GT, Porsche etc, I started diving in for no other reason than just an alternate experience.

LC500 was no different. Im willing to pay more for the etheral experience.. I know the body isn't as rigid... I know it may not look as good as a coupe with the top up.. but Im the owner and the driver and I prefer the experience and option of being able to have a hell of a car that I can also choose to put the top down and just breathe the air and feel the sun when I choose and thats why Convertibles rock.. to me.. not because they are better or as good as coupes... but because what they offer is different than what a coupe can offer.
Apparently there is extra bracing added/reinforcement for MY 24
Old 04-11-23, 07:51 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceCars
Apparently there is extra bracing added/reinforcement for MY 24
Very unlikely, as Lexus usually hits the mark out of the gate. Would be very atypical of them to make a change like that 6 years in. Making a heavy car even heavier. Source?

I also agree, no convertible has/will usurp a coupe in the looks department.
Old 04-11-23, 08:03 PM
NiceCars
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Very unlikely, as Lexus usually hits the mark out of the gate. Would be very atypical of them to make a change like that 6 years in. Making a heavy car even heavier. Source?

I also agree, no convertible has/will usurp a coupe in the looks department.
There will be improvements to the underbody bracing for MY24

From the press release:
Changes have been made to the suspension’s coil springs, shock absorber tuning, rear suspension member, stabilizer spring rates, under-body braces, steering column and steering gearbox fastening, and axle hub bearing and wheel fastening. The front engine mounts have also been revised and the time gap reduced between vehicle body and powertrain movement. The result of these incremental improvements is sharper steering response and enhanced ground contact feel.

I prefer the looks of convertible LC vs the coupe, I don't like the M850 convertible vs the coupe

Last edited by NiceCars; 04-11-23 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 10:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceCars
The lc is one of just a few convertibles out there that actually looks good top up/down.
i disagree with that. convertible lc looks great top down. top up, not so much, to me, imo. very subjective.
Old 04-12-23, 10:02 AM
Eightk
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupe is the original, has the Samurai sword roof trims and is more rigid.
Convertible brings the noise right into the cabin even with the roof up, you lose the option of 4ws and a pop up spoiler but hey you’ve got a pop down roof so it still wins. It’s one of the few chop jobs that looks absolutely right, even with the roof up it’s not bad looking.
I’m in the rainy UK and I chose a convertible. Don’t underestimate the difference the roof makes to the noise.
Interesting that Lexus are STILL messing with the oily bits on an annual basis. They really are a serious bunch 😂

Quick Reply: convertible vs coupe?