LC Model (2018-present)

2024 LC dash re-design a failure….

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23 | 12:40 PM
cobramustang1993
4th Gear

Default 2024 LC dash re-design a failure….

The re-design shows a rather hasty effort without attention to the great aesthetic of the 18-23 design language….Lexus could have retained the flow of the original design by placing the screen inside the housing but having the touchscreen flush with the current design…retaining the clock and beautiful black trim….They also could have re-designed the dash pad to accommodate a larger screen, and still retained the existing trim to right of screen….They opted for a cheaper solution and cheapened the look of the interior…I am surprised and disappointed…It looks cheap and taxi-cab like in appearance…A mistake….I spent my life in the design business and felt the aesthetic of the LC was perfect, except for the touchpad functionality

Last edited by cobramustang1993; 05-30-23 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Title misspelled
The following users liked this post:
jm141414 (09-05-24)
Old 05-30-23 | 02:44 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

I, like many others would agree with you. But you also have to consider the bean counters in the company. The LC is a low volume seller, which Lexus probably doesn't make much profit on. In order for them to update the model lineup to the current times, they needed an efficient way of upgrading the interior. They should've thought about this during their initial design phase (2012 - LF-LC stage), with the potential of making the screen bigger over time. They probably used the same screen as in the LS, and opted for the best solution given the cost constraints.
Old 05-30-23 | 02:48 PM
NickL
Racer

I’m also torn. The Ultra Sonic Blue is finally coming to 2024 model along with the 360 camera. But the interior on the 2024 is overall a downgrade to previous year.
Old 05-30-23 | 02:57 PM
cobramustang1993
4th Gear

Default 2024 LC dash re-design a failure

Your reply does make sense regarding bean-counters, but this isn’t a Camry….I would surmise that within only a couple of years before a possible new model, they decided to do a quickly refresh….and not invest in a proper re-design….I will keep my 2019….A Nav upgrade that detracts from the interior isn’t worth my investing in a 2024…..Most of us use Apple or Android on our phones these days, anyway…..

Last edited by cobramustang1993; 05-31-23 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-30-23 | 03:09 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobramustang1993
Your reply does make sense regarding bean-counters, but this isn’t a Camry….I would surmise that within only a couple of years before a possible new model, they decided to do a quickly refresh….and not invest in a proper re-design….I will keep my 2019….A Nav upgrade that detracts from the interior isn’t worth my investing in a 2024…..Most of us use Apple or Android on our phones these days, anyway…..
Let's agree to disagree on the "bean counters". I honestly don't think they will make a new model of the LC - this refresh was most likely their best foot forward. I will probably give this 2024 LC another 2 or 3 years before it gets discontinued. Like I've mentioned to others in different platforms, this is Lexus' most comprehensive refresh since its inception, and will most likely remain that way (aside from some styling upgrades on upcoming years). This won't make me get rid of my modified 2018 - I'm happy as it is. If I decide to upgrade, it'll most likely be the rumored LF-R at that point.

I completely agree with you in regards to the interior styling though.
Old 05-30-23 | 03:15 PM
cobramustang1993
4th Gear

Default 2014 LC dash

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
Let's agree to disagree on the "bean counters". I honestly don't think they will make a new model of the LC - this refresh was most likely their best foot forward. I will probably give this 2024 LC another 2 or 3 years before it gets discontinued. Like I've mentioned to others in different platforms, this is Lexus' most comprehensive refresh since its inception, and will most likely remain that way (aside from some styling upgrades on upcoming years). This won't make me get rid of my modified 2018 - I'm happy as it is. If I decide to upgrade, it'll most likely be the rumored LF-R at that point.

I completely agree with you in regards to the interior styling though.
Based on what I have seen, the LC 500 may-never be topped in terms of its superb design

Last edited by cobramustang1993; 05-31-23 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-30-23 | 06:14 PM
Enzo954
Intermediate

I held out on buying an LC500 until the details about the refresh were revealed. 360 degree cameras sure would be nice, but I decided to pass on the refreshed model and just bought a like new 22' a few days ago. The screen embedded into the dashboard is just so pleasing to the eye. The new rims aren't very appealing to me either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Enzo954:
BruceinFla (05-31-23), threeputt (05-31-23)
Old 05-31-23 | 07:12 AM
cobramustang1993
4th Gear

Default 2024 LC 500 design issues

Originally Posted by Enzo954
I held out on buying an LC500 until the details about the refresh were revealed. 360 degree cameras sure would be nice, but I decided to pass on the refreshed model and just bought a like new 22' a few days ago. The screen embedded into the dashboard is just so pleasing to the eye. The new rims aren't very appealing to me either.
The wheels were another negative for me, also….They look less “jewel-like” and dull compared to the
previous wheels, which de-emphasized the black finish in favor of polished aluminum/metal-look……All in all more good tech and improved interface at the expense of design integrity…..Eveyone can make their choices, but will keep my 2019 Liquid Platinum Coupe……
The following 2 users liked this post by cobramustang1993:
Enzo954 (05-31-23), threeputt (05-31-23)
Old 06-01-23 | 10:28 AM
2023LC500
Driver School Candidate

Start by saying I haven’t even taken delivery of my LC yet. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been excited about a car purchase…I have better things to get emotionally invested in than a car, but I fully admit that is not the case with the LC.

The new dash…the touchpad sucked for a bunch of reasons. People seem to have forgotten the vast majority insisting it must change. Touchscreens have better navigation, visibility, ease of use while driving (which can be a safety issue), and overall functionality. Are all those things perfect? No, never will be, because we are all different types of technology users, so I accept and respect everyone’s opinions and thoughts on that. Technology users are always critical of devices and interfaces. Touchpad technology however is over, it’s hardly supported and has no new investment…it’s a dead end hardware.

Now let’s get to the heart of what everyone seems to care about, looks over the previous functionality…respectfully the “bean counter” perspective is completely valid. For a vehicle of the LC’s quality, a full dash design around the touchscreen (TS) would require a Designer, who submits plans to a team of engineers who then have a back and forth. The final submission then goes to the operational engineers who retool the production line. That involves a back and forth between suppliers and the workers on the line and those operational engineers. Given the low production numbers of the LC, I would WAG that to be about a 20K increase/unit. Remembering the price point of the LC right now puts it light years ahead of any competitors, IMHO.

My bottom line…there’s just so much that’s awesome about the 2024 LC and it’s refresh, along with the functionality improvements of the TS (which can get software updates and be maintained far better than the touchpad) I will have no problem getting over the dash aesthetics/integration issue.

Is the new TS as aesthetically pleasing as the old dash, no. Does it makes sense and improve functionality, yes.

signed…patiently waiting new owner of an LC. Try not to be too brutal on the responses 😉

Last edited by 2023LC500; 06-01-23 at 10:42 AM.
guanche2k9 (06-02-23)
Old 06-01-23 | 12:02 PM
snowsenses
Driver

I don't think it's a big deal either way - the old one is better looking while the new one is better functioning; feel like I'd get used to either one very quickly and neither would be a big deal. I mean, even with the worse interior in the 2024 it's still a fantastic interior, still a high point of the car. As for the touchpad, I got used to it in literally 5 minutes, feel like the comments from reviewers don't reflect those of owners, they just get amplified much more.

I feel really strongly as a UI/UX designer that there are certain situations where the touchpad is more usable than a touchscreen, it just depends on how complex-ly the screen you're using is laid out. For a screen with clickable areas on several different rows/columns, it can be frustrating to get the touchpad to the area you want, but for other screens it's much easier to use the touchpad to just go in the same direction twice and click, vs. touchscreens which can be annoying to click the right spot while you're driving (hitting bumps, swaying, etc). For example getting directions home in Google Maps I think is easier with touchpad, whereas zooming the map in or out is easier with touchscreen (even one without multitouch).
2023LC500 (06-02-23)
Old 06-01-23 | 01:32 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NickL
I’m also torn. The Ultra Sonic Blue is finally coming to 2024 model along with the 360 camera. But the interior on the 2024 is overall a downgrade to previous year.
I'm upgrading from a '21 to a '24 for the Ultrasonic Blue. Wife is OK with it because she hates the trackpad and wants the touchscreen.

I think the pre-touchscreen interior looks better, but not so much better to not have the ultrasonic blue.
Old 06-02-23 | 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2023LC500
Start by saying I haven’t even taken delivery of my LC yet. ...
signed…patiently waiting new owner of an LC.
so i guess you need to change your username to 2024LC500.
(you can request that in the site suggestions forum)
2023LC500 (06-02-23)
Old 06-02-23 | 07:44 AM
Roger92
Driver

Don’t have that many issues with the touchpad ….at the touch of the fingers when the arm is on the central arm rest

Last edited by Roger92; 06-02-23 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-02-23 | 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i have the haptic feedback on the trackpad turned OFF but for some reason the car turns it on occasionally. annoying... just a bug i guess.
Old 06-02-23 | 11:17 AM
2023LC500
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i guess you need to change your username to 2024LC500.
(you can request that in the site suggestions forum)
Too funny…there are so many detail oriented people here I was wondering when someone would raise that 😁. At this point I’ll just wait till I take delivery before I request any change.

Quick Reply: 2024 LC dash re-design a failure….