LC Model (2018-present)

Does Size Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23 | 05:19 AM
baege
8th Gear

Default Does Size Matter?

Good morning folks

I am new to the forum and have been seriously considering a move to the LC 500.

I have been unable to test drive one to date as the newer coupes are hard to come by and/or dealers are reluctant to allow test drives. I am still hoping to drive one soon but wanted to get some insights on here as well since a test drive is only a brief experience with a car.

One of the things I am wondering about in terms of whether the LC is the right move for me is the size of it. I know it is a huge car.

I tend to prefer smaller cars (my recent history includes the M2, and porsche caymans)

I briefly owned a c7 corvette and did not like the width and length of that car as compared to the cayman which I traded in for it.

I am wondering if anyone here also tends to prefer smaller compact cars but still made the move to the LC and how the size of the LC has landed for you?

I live in a city with tight roads and parking, how does the LC work for you in that kind of environment?
Old 09-02-23 | 06:20 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

The LC is not a small car. Shorter, but it has about the same footprint as my 2017 Toyota Highlander. My 2018 did not have 360 degree surround view like the Highlander, and maybe my biggest complaint about the car. I traded my C7 for the LC, and immediately missed the front bumper view. I hear the new LC will finally get the surround camera.
The following users liked this post:
baege (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the lc is no cayman, lol. bigger, heavier, it's a grand tourer, not a sports car.
having said that, it's plenty sporty enough for me, as i'm not doing autocross or the track with it, and it has the advantage of being comfortable and smooth on a highway trip.
i have the rear steering and vgrs (dynamic handling package) on mine, which helps make the car feel smaller when turning.
hopefully you can find someone to take a spin in... and year doesn't matter a whole lot.
baege (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 07:46 AM
Enzo954
Intermediate

Don't buy it. Too large and heavy for you.
Badhobz (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 09:54 AM
Jgbnm1
10th Gear

I sold my Cayman yesterday. Pick up my LC soon. It’s definitely bigger and less nimble. I treated my Cayman like a GT car, so I figured an actual GT car made more sense and I was ready for a change. I live in a smaller city and the size and parking aren’t significant issues. I’m looking forward to the nicer interior, nicer ride and great engine. First convertible too! Also my first car with an automatic - I will miss having a manual transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jgbnm1:
355F1 (09-02-23), baege (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 09:56 AM
NickL
Racer

Yup. It’s too big for you.
Enzo954 (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 09:56 AM
baege
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Jgbnm1
I sold my Cayman yesterday. Pick up my LC soon. It’s definitely bigger and less nimble. I treated my Cayman like a GT car, so I figured an actual GT car made more sense and I was ready for a change. I live in a smaller city and the size and parking aren’t significant issues. I’m looking forward to the nicer interior, nicer ride and great engine. First convertible too! Also my first car with an automatic - I will miss having a manual transmission.
were you able to test drive an LC before making the move?
Old 09-02-23 | 12:40 PM
Jgbnm1
10th Gear

Yup. 30 minutes or so. All speeds, top up and down. It's fun. Different, but fun. Sounds awesome. Less direct feeling than the Cayman for sure but that's ok. Will be way better for road trips and GT type car stuff than the Cayman.
baege (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 02:43 PM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by baege
I tend to prefer smaller cars (my recent history includes the M2, and porsche caymans)

I briefly owned a c7 corvette and did not like the width and length of that car as compared to the cayman which I traded in for it.

I live in a city with tight roads and parking, how does the LC work for you in that kind of environment?
I just don’t see how you going to live with the LC500 with those statements.
The vehicle is about the size of a Panamera without the back doors and all the practicality and space of a sedan. The distance from the front bumper to the driver position is very lengthy. Parking on the street in a city will be a challenge even with the 360deg camera on the ‘24 model. The width of the LC500 is also a challenge in city garages. Save yourself the pain and simply avoid it. The 20-30mins test drive doesn’t give you the reality of living with it in the city. IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickL:
baege (09-02-23), Enzo954 (09-02-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 02:53 PM
355F1
Racer

Originally Posted by baege
I have been unable to test drive one to date as the newer coupes are hard to come by and/or dealers are reluctant to allow test drives. It?
You need to find a new dealer or ask for the GM of your dealer if they are d>>>>ing you around.

This is not an exclusive nor expensive enough vehicle for a dealer to tell you No Test Drives if you are a serious buyer.
DudewithLC (09-04-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 05:15 PM
snowsenses
Driver

I came from a '18 Cayman S and got my LC only after the '23 Cayman S I ordered fell through. Bought it without ever sitting in one before & I'm extremely happy with it. My main use case is long road-trips to twisty roads & IMO it's similarly fun, just more of the fun comes from the sound than the handling, and the LC feels/is way more special.

BUT, I hate parking in cities and having to do it all the time in an LC would be a nightmare imo.
baege (09-03-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 08:36 PM
coralchpr
Driver

Perhaps the RCF would be a better choice for you. it has more room inside than the LC, but the car feel much smaller driving around town and is significantly more nimble.
baege (09-03-23)
Old 09-02-23 | 09:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

This young fella drives 'em both:

baege (09-03-23)
Old 09-03-23 | 03:09 AM
baege
8th Gear

Originally Posted by coralchpr
Perhaps the RCF would be a better choice for you. it has more room inside than the LC, but the car feel much smaller driving around town and is significantly more nimble.
I have considered both the RCF and the IS500 instead of the LC, way more practical and compact. However, I test drove an RCF sometime ago when I had an M240I and was not enthralled with it. I found the ride harsh and the transmission quite laggy compared with the Zf8. I am thinking the IS500 will have a similar feel.

Old 09-03-23 | 03:11 AM
baege
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
This young fella drives 'em both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKVJUv4WWsk
that was a great comparison, seems pretty clear the LC offers a much more enjoyable driving experience, that's what I am looking for, just wondering if the size is something I can live with.

Quick Reply: Does Size Matter?