LC Model (2018-present)

Lane Tracing Assist - how good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 01:04 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lane Tracing Assist - how good is it?

Can anyone comment on LC lane centering assist technology? I never had Lexus, but I like what Kia did with the EV6. Kia keeps you centered in the lane, and is pretty good at that, allows you to take hands off the wheel for couple of minutes on highways, but it does not aggressively resist if you want to cross the white line. To me this is an important feature for highway driving, makes it so much more relaxing.

How does the Lexus Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) in the Safety System+ 2.5 compare? Is it enjoyable or frustrating experience?
Old 09-08-23, 01:27 PM
snowsenses
Driver

Received 170 Likes on 46 Posts

Bad bad bad, barely functional and not anywhere NEAR as good as Kia's (even on my $30k Seltos SX it's just great). It basically bounces you from one end of the lane to the other, at best, and is only useful imo for keeping the car in a straightish line while I quickly take a picture out the window or something

That said, the LC is extremely fun/nice to operate even in a straight line for hours on the highway and I don't miss having it at all, even though I love it on our Seltos. Also, I'm judging the 2019 system, maybe it's been improved for 2024

edit: also, I'm realizing Lane Tracing Assist may be a new exclusive feature for the 2024s while the older models have a worse feature called something else? in which case you can disregard this if you're only wondering about 2024s
Old 09-08-23, 01:52 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

It’s Lane Keep Assist.
It’s very much like the game Pong. The car doesn’t actually try to stay in the center but rather wait til it veers to the left or right and then it corrects it. If there’s no clear marked lanes, you’ll end up in the ditch.
That said, most people do not care for this because it’s simply doesn’t work.
Old 09-08-23, 03:40 PM
maraca
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I should clarify, I am referring to a 2024 model that according to a press release has:

"Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) – When DRCC is enabled and lane markers are detected, Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) uses the lines on the road and/or preceding vehicles to provide active driving assistance and help keep the vehicle centered in its lane."
WHAT’S NEW: 2024 LC 500 Convertible - Lexus USA Newsroom

Here is the video:

But it's not clear from the video if it's a ping-pong or true "centering" .

Accidentally found another thread discussing this: How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion;
Looks like a lot of people like it in the latest models. Older models seem to struggle.

Another video from NX
; if latest LC has same driver assist tech as this NX, I am sold.

Last edited by maraca; 09-08-23 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-08-23, 07:50 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been pretty happy with the Enhanced LTA on the later model Lexus loaners I've received from my local Lexus store (Lexus Safety System 2.5). Very little ping-ponging between the lane markers, and it can negotiate highway sweepers at speed much better than Lane Keep Assist. The LKA on my GS is only good for mostly straight highways. That having been said, it will not tolerate extended periods of hands-off driving.

Caveat: I don't have much experience with other brands' more recent ADAS systems other than that in the Subaru Solterra, which is a reskinned Toyota and very clearly is using Toyota/Lexus technology, so I am unable to make any comparison.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 09-08-23 at 07:56 PM.