Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is LC500 > LFA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 05:11 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Is LC500 > LFA?

Now before everyone calls me a complete loon, remember that Doug Demuro FWIW actually gave the LC500 a higher “Doug Score” than the LFA (66-64, see chart below) so please hear me out

Obviously the LFA is a more VALUABLE car: it had a sticker over 3 times that of the LC500 and has appreciated to roughly $1M, there’s only 500 on the planet with roughly 200 in North America and it will go 202 mph and has a V10 engine that many automotive journalists consider the best sounding engine of all time.

That said - if in some bizzaro world I could only have ONE car, and my only two choices are an LFA or LC500, and someone were to give me the LFA - I would trade the LFA for an LC500 Vert. My main reason for doing so would be I am a Vert lover with probably my last dozen cars being convertibles. I would feel claustrophobic driving an LFA with no ability to put the top down and have the wind in my hair, etc, and yes, I know they made 1 LFA convertible but that’s unobtanium (see vid below).

The other reasons: I think the LC500 is a better looking car with better creature comforts for every day driving. And while it’s not as fast as the LFA, it’s plenty fast enough for me. The 5.0 engine, which has more torque than an LFA, sounds fantastic and with the 10 spd tranny is less than a second slower 0-60 compared to the LFA which is probably attributable to the extra thousand pounds of the LC500. In fact, if one were to drop the 4.8L V10 6 spd drivetrain of the LFA into the LC500, I doubt it would be any faster 0-60 (although I’m sure it would be top speed though).

Finally, in just 2 weeks of ownership I’ve already had 2 clueless people ask me if my car IS an LFA, so why not save a million bucks and just get an LC500? LOL

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-16-23 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 07:53 AM
Enzo954
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't how so many of you guys get people asking if your car is an LFA. Only people really into cars know what the LFA is. If they know what the LFA is then they typically know what the LC500 is. I've had a few people ask me what type of car mine is and they're usually a little surprised that it's a Lexus, but that's about all I hear.
The following users liked this post:
DudewithLC (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 07:56 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

I agree with your points and the Doug score results.

But since my LC500 vert is only a weekend car, the LFA gets my vote.
Old 09-16-23, 08:06 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Enzo954
I don't how so many of you guys get people asking if your car is an LFA. Only people really into cars know what the LFA is. If they know what the LFA is then they typically know what the LC500 is. I've had a few people ask me what type of car mine is and they're usually a little surprised that it's a Lexus, but that's about all I hear.
I was recently asked if mine (vert) was a SC500 with a hard top.
Not as rare as the LFA but I think people seldom see the LC500 on the roads so they’re not sure what it is.

People in my community will start to recognize my car since I’m enjoying it’s pleasurable drive. But know what it is? Not likely. It’ll probably be known as “…that white convertible. Looks nice.”

355F1 (09-17-23)
Old 09-16-23, 08:55 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Enzo954
…If they know what the LFA is then they typically know what the LC500 is…
I would somewhat disagree with this - the LFA is a “supercar” that was heavily publicized when it came out - it’s been on Jay Leno’s Garage 3 times and was in Fast and the Furious. As a result there are a lot of casual auto enthusiasts who are familiar with the LFA but who may have never even heard of the LC500 - I would count myself among them up until a month ago And from certain angles like the pics of the LFA and LC500 I posted above, you can definitely tell the LC500 was inspired by the LFA - how many cars out there have a rear leaning scoop in the body work down low just in front of the rear wheel?

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-16-23 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-16-23, 08:29 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

I wonder how many of us have actually experienced both cars? I have.

The biggest difference I felt between the two was undoubtedly the weight. The LFA has an immediacy to everything it does -- accelerate, brake, corner -- that the LC500 doesn't because of the extra weight.

The LC feels like a good car paired to my driving skill level and desired style of driving. The LFA feels like it's asking you "why aren't you going faster" every moment that you're driving it.

The LFA will outdrive most of us, the LC won't. Since that extra capability is wasted on me, I choose the LC500 convertible.

Lexus did make an LFA convertible test car: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...a-spyder-video

Old 09-17-23, 01:17 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbuffett
I wonder how many of us have actually experienced both cars? I have.

The biggest difference I felt between the two was undoubtedly the weight. The LFA has an immediacy to everything it does -- accelerate, brake, corner -- that the LC500 doesn't because of the extra weight.

The LC feels like a good car paired to my driving skill level and desired style of driving. The LFA feels like it's asking you "why aren't you going faster" every moment that you're driving it.

The LFA will outdrive most of us, the LC won't. Since that extra capability is wasted on me, I choose the LC500 convertible.

Lexus did make an LFA convertible test car: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...a-spyder-video
Hey don’t forget to vote “yes” - I don’t want to be the lone crazy “yes” vote, LOL.

I haven’t driven the LFA but I traded in a 2023 C8 Vette with the Z51 package which is quicker than the LFA in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times (2.8 and 11.1 compared to 4.0 and 11.9) and comes close to matching the LFA in skidpad and braking (1.04 and 108 compared to 1.07 and 106) and while it was a lot of fun I knew it was enough performance that I could get into some serious trouble. After test driving an LC500 Vert, like you I felt it was a perfect match for my skill level and desired style of driving - plus the C8 spent half its life with me in the shop in need of repairs, ugh! The LC500 Vert is a much better car for me than the C8 or LFA and it’s better looking than both IMO - but if I could get my hands on that lone LFA Spyder I might change my vote

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-17-23 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-17-23, 07:03 AM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

I’m digesting your poll considerations and my driving habits and even though I voted LFA, I would likely never drive the LFA due to it’s crazy value and rarity.

Only 1 car?
Hmmm, I’ve never driven a LFA but I suspect compared to a LC500 it’s much less compliant and forgiving for the regular posted limit daily driving tasks.

For my driving behaviours, the LC500 is a better match than the LFA.

I’d join you in the “loony” camp, GatorGreg and change my vote to LC500…but I can’t.

Last edited by AutoCrazy; 09-17-23 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-17-23, 08:05 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by AutoCrazy
I’m digesting your poll considerations and my driving habits and even though I voted LFA, I would likely never drive the LFA due to it’s crazy value and rarity.

Only 1 car?
Hmmm, I’ve never driven a LFA but I suspect compared to a LC500 it’s much less compliant and forgiving for the regular posted limit daily driving tasks.

For my driving behaviours, the LC500 is a better match than the LFA.

I’d join you in the “loony” camp, GatorGreg and change my vote to LC500…but I can’t.
Hey it’s the thought that counts and at least now I can tell my lady friend that I’m not a complete loon as one person actually agrees with me Not to push my luck but we just got back from a mostly leisurely but sometimes spirited Sunday morning topless drive along the coast on Gulf Blvd and we passed 2 exotic cars, both hardtops, and I wouldn’t trade my Vert for either of them: a yellow R8 and a white McLaren - I don’t know which model as all McLarens look the same to me except the F1 of course and yes, I would obviously trade my Vert for an F1, LOL

Hey is your LC the new for ‘24 Polar Surge Inspiration series or the Ultra White - looks great with those wheels IMO. I almost bought a new ‘23 Ultra White with red seats that I was able to test drive and fell in love with but I made the mistake of looking on AutoTrader and when I saw a used Flare Yellow I had to have it

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-17-23 at 08:29 AM.
AutoCrazy (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 11:57 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I have been complimented on my LFA a couple of times. LOL.
If you follow Doug closely, he has a pretty negative bias against the LFA. And I think the LFA would be hard to daily drive.
Old 09-17-23, 03:09 PM
AutoCrazy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GatorGreg

Hey is your LC the new for ‘24 Polar Surge Inspiration series or the Ultra White - looks great with those wheels IMO. I almost bought a new ‘23 Ultra White with red seats that I was able to test drive and fell in love with but I made the mistake of looking on AutoTrader and when I saw a used Flare Yellow I had to have it
It’s the Ultra White.
I’m really enjoying the sporty luxurious drive of this car.
Wish I could drive this car on the coast - lucky you and your lady friend - enjoy!
Old 09-17-23, 05:31 PM
74Sprtstr
Intermediate

Received 192 Likes on 146 Posts

just voted "yeah!" the LC is for everyman(woman); the LFA is a million bucks ,
and impossible to get. how could it not be better than something that is unobtainable ?
the LFA is brilliant automotive engineering but also a museum piece; ever wonder how many owners own it to possess it,
and almost never drive it ?
the LC has plenty of LFA's dna, and toyota built it for the rest of us.
Old 09-17-23, 07:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

The LFA is truly incredible. I rode in one once, right after driving the LC500 and it was a completely different experience. The way it handled, the acceleration, and insane exhaust note were incredible. I never got the chance to drive one though, although was I terrified of even touching the car to be honest.

The LC500 reminds me of a modern SC/Soarer. I’ll never get the chance to own an LFA, but I could pull off a used LC in a few years.
Old 09-18-23, 12:48 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kira X
…The LC500 reminds me of a modern SC/Soarer. I’ll never get the chance to own an LFA, but I could pull off a used LC in a few years.
Yes the LC500 is similar in many respects to the SC430 but I feel like Toyota really stepped it up a notch or two with the LC500 in terms of both performance and luxury. I test drove the SC430 twice back in the day and really wanted to like it but it just didn’t quite do it for me. By getting rid of the design constraints of the retractable hard top I think it allowed them to go all out in designing the drop dead gorgeous LC500. I’m glad they didn’t curse the LC500 with the giant rear seat headrests that stick up like they did with the SC430 - they really detract from the look of the SC430 IMO. That said - I love, love, love the Tigereye Pebble Beach Edition from 2006 with the camel interior, which was the first year of the mid-cycle refresh with the 6spd auto tranny and the LED taillights, etc. Every now and then I still search auto trader for a mint example of one near me that I might pick up as a collectible - I think if I picked one up now for about $25K it would be worth double that in 10-15 years.

EDIT: I see there’s now 3 “Yes” votes but 9 “No - you must be on crack!” votes

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-18-23 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-18-23, 04:49 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Hey don’t forget to vote “yes” - I don’t want to be the lone crazy “yes” vote, LOL.
I still voted NO because the idea that LC > LFA is crazy

Quick Reply: Is LC500 > LFA?