LC Model (2018-present)

Who would you use to transport your LC

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 05:49 PM
woodturner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Donart
Hi Woodturner, I just found out mine was already PPF covered to front half of the car, does the PPF make a difference if I go to auto car wash?
I can't say that I have any first hand knowledge. I'd never take my car to an auto car wash under any circumstances. It gets washed by hand only.....**MY** hand.
The following users liked this post:
flowrider (10-24-23)
Old 10-25-23, 06:32 AM
Ephilyaw
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

Only been through 1 car wash here. Was in Destin out of town and covered in sand. The Porsche GT3 in front of me went through, so I said what the He!!

Old 10-26-23, 04:33 AM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I think a lot of this car wash gnashing of teeth is bullshift. If they routinely damaged cars they wouldn't stay in business. I think the scrubbers they use today are far from the old cloth mops of old. Those I think Did keep dirt and sand captured in them.
I had a Camry that went through one all the time. It was even an outdoor car. Had it detailed before it left me and I asked the detailer. He was unable to find any evidence of auto car washrs. My LC stays in the garage and usually doesn't go out in the rain but it goes through a wash now and then. I see no swirls on it either.
I do think I would pick a busier wash. Those brushes probably get checked for dirt more often and being busy, the cost of the replacement brushes is more negligible to them.
My .02
Bruce in Fl
Old 10-26-23, 05:26 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

I prefer to do hand wash myself although for my Jeep I will take it through a “touchless” machine which uses no brushes especially if I’ve been mudding and really need the undercarriage to get powerfully squirted off. I also like to take the Jeep to one of the many fundraiser washes that teenagers do on weekends - it usually gets a great reaction due to the color and they treat it like royalty (see pic ). If I had a LC Coupe I would probably do the same on occasion with regard to both the “touchless” machine and fundraiser hand washes. But since my LC is a Convertible there’s no way I’d take it through even a “touchless” machine or let a bunch of cheerleaders / Boy Scouts / Little League team do a hand wash because the risk of ****ing up the top with the wrong kind of soap or brush is just too great. I did allow my Lexus dealer to do a complimentary wash when I took it in for an oil change recently but only after they assured me it was a hand wash with appropriate soaps and brushes for the soft top. They did a great job IMO as the car looked brand new when they were done.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 10-26-23 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-26-23, 05:36 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by woodturner
Bought my LC from the Lexus dealer in Monterey, California in February. I was going to have it shipped. Changed my mind and drove it to Dallas instead. I put down painter's tape on the vulnerable areas of the car and stayed away from 18 wheelers. It arrived at my garage a few days later in pristine condition. I cannot say with 100% certitude that the tape proved beneficial, but it offered a certain peace of mind that I otherwise would not have had.

Damn what color is that? It’s beautiful!
Old 10-26-23, 08:05 AM
woodturner
Driver

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Damn what color is that? It’s beautiful!
LOL. 3M blue.
Old 10-26-23, 08:08 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by woodturner
LOL. 3M blue.
You should do the whole car in that! Looks a little like Ford’s Grabber Blue and the C8 Vette’s Rapid Blue - would be a great color for the LC!

Last edited by GatorGreg; 10-26-23 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-26-23, 08:15 AM
woodturner
Driver

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
I think a lot of this car wash gnashing of teeth is bullshift.
I see it quite differently. With few exceptions, I think it safe to say that anyone who pays thousands of dollars to ppf their car and/or have it ceramic coated, has a concern about preserving the paint and appearance of that car. To then take the car to an auto car wash, where damage is a possibility, seems counterintuitive to me. You never know what the car 3 cars in front of yours had on it when it was washed. If there was sand or other abrasives on it, some of that stuff may still be on those whirling brushes. On the other hand, maybe not. I'm not willing to find out with my car.

Just my opinion and approach. YMMV.
Old 10-27-23, 04:49 PM
Ephilyaw
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

Badhobz did a full wrap in that color